Welcome to Gaia! ::

~Down the Rabbit Hole~ An Alice in Wonderland guild

Back to Guilds

This guild is for anyone who loves anything to do with Alice in Wonderland, be it the movies, books, or spinoffs. 

Tags: alice, wonderland, mad hatter, rabbit, hearts 

Reply Mad Hatter Chatter
Lolita Chat Time!

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

What are your thoughts on Lolita?
  I love it! I wear it, after all!
  I'm an avid admirerer of the style/lifestyle, but I don't wear it myself.
  I don't have any particular thoughts on it.
  I don't like it/it's not my thing.
  What's Lolita..? O.o
View Results

Lady March Hare
Crew

Fanatical Lunatic

29,890 Points
  • Romantic Fortune Seeker 100
  • Loving Fortune Seeker 250
  • Devoted Fortune Seeker 400
PostPosted: Sun Nov 01, 2009 4:10 pm
L - O - L - I - T - A
t h e f a s h i o n
( n o t t h e b o o k )

I think this is where to stick this, though in all honesty this has something to do with Alice in Wonderland... ah, oh well. ^_^;

So, Lolita! Defined as a fashion with calls back to Western Victorian fashion with emphasis on dignity, refinement, and a call back to times long lost, lolita originates in Japan and is at least loosely referenced in many mangas and animes. The fashion includes lots of lace, bows, and many specific branches that cover several ranges of the fashion. Because perhaps of the time period in which it was written, or perhaps because of the cult potential it has, Alice in Wonderland is often affiliated in some way with the Lolita fashion. The clothing of Alice is a given, and in the genre of Lolita known as 'Sweet' the AiW theme is often used.

I do a really shoddy job of explaining it, so if you would like to see more about Lolita a nice overview can be found in A Lesson in Lolita, written by Yuko Ueda.
(English translated, link referred by Serena Loves Quails of the love&lace guild)

So, since we are the most awesometastic AiW guild on Gaia, I'm interested in knowing what the members of Down the Rabbit Hole think about Lolita! I personally chose the second poll option, so feel free to share!

Discuss!
- Lolita in general
- Your perception of the Lolita fashion
- The possible negative connotations of the fashion
- Lolita and it's association with Alice in Wonderland

PostPosted: Sun Dec 06, 2009 8:15 pm
Well all i really know about from lolita comes from the magazines my local bookstroes used to carry. They were called the Gothic lolita bible , and they had all sorts of stuff. It was kind of a combination of a magazine and catalog (because they had stuff and where you could buy it . They had all sorts of crafts to make lolita related stuff, lolita art and poems and articles that were lolita related and a short manga in the end.  

Kahlan_BrightBlade
Crew

Devoted Citizen

14,600 Points
  • Beta Explorer 0
  • Cat Fancier 100
  • Beta Forum Regular 0

Lady March Hare
Crew

Fanatical Lunatic

29,890 Points
PostPosted: Sun Dec 06, 2009 10:47 pm
*nodnodnod* I've heard of the GLB, though I've only thumbed through a few at cons; I live in kinda a rural area so they're rare to come by otherwise, haha. ^_^

I've seen some of the projects and stuff that come out of them, though; they're really adorable! If only I had more free time to make such pretty things... I think that's what attracts to me to lolita of any sort is the cute factor. XP That at all of the pretty things that I could never get away with wearing on a daily basis like some girls seem able to do. ^_^;;;

PostPosted: Mon Dec 07, 2009 10:03 am
Agreed, the GLB has inspired me to want to try dressing in the lolita fashion. Its thanks to that that i got into Lolita, and i love the little manga in the back. Some of the articles i found quite interesting , i only wish i had sewing skills to make some stuff .  

Kahlan_BrightBlade
Crew

Devoted Citizen

14,600 Points
  • Beta Explorer 0
  • Cat Fancier 100
  • Beta Forum Regular 0

Lady March Hare
Crew

Fanatical Lunatic

29,890 Points
PostPosted: Mon Dec 07, 2009 4:51 pm
Agreed; I found some scans of one issue up online but they weren't translated into any language I can understand, haha. But they were for making a really cute bunny bag... and I couldn't understand the instructions, haha! ^_^;;;;; I felt like such a fail!  
PostPosted: Tue Dec 15, 2009 6:53 am
I do so love lolita fashions, but I find I can't afford them. I design, unfortunatly my sewing skills are lacking. Some neat websites about loloita can be found at www.lolita.org . I like playing with the sweet rococo dress thingy!  

Wandgryffin

Lady March Hare
Crew

Fanatical Lunatic

29,890 Points
PostPosted: Tue Dec 15, 2009 12:54 pm
You have a very good point; lolita is by no means an easily affordable fashion to follow. Of course you seem to get good quality stuff for what you pay so I can't really complain... and it's so pretty! ...it's amazing the sorts of things that helps slide by, haha!

Oooh... link. Do you mind providing some more specific links? The one you provided leads to some shaaaaady things that might have to be edited, haha. I'd rather steer the conversation away from anything overly sexual... like anything that has been pinned to the fashion as a misconception. Oooh... but tell me, what sweet rococo dress thingy? >_>

But you have a good point; the Rococo movement is extremely prevalent in some forms of Lolita... especially in Hime and Sweet. *nodnod* I love all of the fabrics... all so delicate and flowy! Though I know I would probably overheat like whoa and complain about it all the time, I kinda wish people still dressed like that more often. Though it's by no means economical, so I know it'll never happen. XD But I can dream, right? XD

Mad Hatter Chatter

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff
Gaia's Games