Welcome to Gaia! ::

Gaian Art Mentors

Back to Guilds

Where artists are paired in a mentor/mentee fashion to share their knowledge. 

Tags: artists, mentor, mentee, learning, drawing 

Reply Sketchbooks [Get crits here! Open to everyone]
Need crit, as much as you can dish!

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Rainbow Lime

PostPosted: Wed Oct 28, 2009 12:20 am

So I recently aquired a tablet. Yes start your groaning, another newb who wants to lean to draw. GREAT rolleyes I'm seventeen going on eighteen, almost out of highschool, looking to try and comprehend drawing...more so, get my mistakes pointed out and a push in the right direction.
I work with corel painter and have yet to figure out how to make nice smooth lineart ( DA is pretty useless on this topic ) and a bunch of other things. Enough excuses though.

Please crit this ( note; there is a barbie doll like anatomy showing ) and this. DA

Have at it!

EDIT: fixed the 2nd link. Also obviously both are wips. However I gave up on the second piece ^^;; The first, I've only really worked on the head thus far and shaded in ( very quickly ) the torso.
PostPosted: Wed Oct 28, 2009 9:54 am

The second link there I was unable to take a look at...
But anyways,
My suggestion on the first one would be to define the lines where the bridge of her noise and possibly her lips.

Also, when you paint htis piece, design her eyes first, and let her eye lids lap over.

Over all, I think you can make this a wonderful piece of art. Just put more time and effort into it and you'll be going to places you never would have imagined ^___^

My dA account is here just in case you want some ideas.

Doomdagger

The Titanium Spork

PostPosted: Wed Oct 28, 2009 4:19 pm

Think about darks and lights more.
Variation in value is key to make things look 3-d, and it looks like you're not varying your lights and darks enough.
(Also, s'more anatomy and lifedrawing probably wouldn't hurt)
PostPosted: Thu Oct 29, 2009 12:37 am

The Titanium Spork
Think about darks and lights more.
Variation in value is key to make things look 3-d, and it looks like you're not varying your lights and darks enough.
(Also, s'more anatomy and lifedrawing probably wouldn't hurt)

ahaha, yeah need that badly. *headesk*
Actually with the darker tones I was thinking that was true, but have no idea on how to really blend them together. Or at least well enough without it looking like a bad cell shade. Every colour I try with gets too dark or too light. How would I best accomplish this?

Thank you both though! ^^

Rainbow Lime

The Titanium Spork

PostPosted: Thu Oct 29, 2009 9:43 pm

Lower the opacity of the brush you'rr using, and pick a really dark color, and just lightly brush it on, try to make a gradient of dark>light, but don't worry about making the transition overly smooth, and then when you have something that looks decent color-wise, blend like crazy (or go over it with a 10% opacity of the original color). Use highlights sparingly, never use white, and never use a highlight brighter than the light sourse. (I sincerely hope you think about light sources)
Sketchbooks [Get crits here! Open to everyone]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff
Gaia's Games