Welcome to Gaia! ::

Pagan Fluffy Rehabilitation Center

Back to Guilds

Educational, Respectful and Responsible Paganism. Don't worry, we'll teach you how. 

Tags: Pagan, Wicca, Paganism, Witchcraft, Witch 

Reply PathWays
Initiation

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

mitsuki5561

PostPosted: Wed Oct 21, 2009 5:16 pm
Is it necessary for solitary practitioners? Does one have to hold some private ceremony to the Divine? I've read that it's not necessary but in forums I keep reading how everyone is being initiated and it just seems so important. I have been reluctant to hold this ceremony because I want to have the freedom to change religions if I change my mind. (I'm not usually good with commitment.)  
PostPosted: Wed Oct 21, 2009 5:56 pm
When I think initiation, I think into a coven.
You probably mean dedication. Which isn't necessary if you don't want to do it. I've been solitary for 6 years now and I haven't ever done a dedication.  

kage no neko

Invisible Phantom

8,500 Points
  • Bunny Spotter 50
  • Bunny Hunter 100
  • Bunny Hoarder 150

aoijea23487

PostPosted: Thu Oct 22, 2009 10:41 pm
You cannot self-initiate.

The necessity of initiation depends on the religion.

Do not make promises you do not think you can keep. If you have a hard time with commitment, making oaths is not for you. Initiation does not necessarily entail the taking of oaths, so don't go putting all initiation rituals into the same box.  
PostPosted: Sun Oct 25, 2009 12:46 pm
Illiezeulette

Do not make promises you do not think you can keep. If you have a hard time with commitment, making oaths is not for you. Initiation does not necessarily entail the taking of oaths, so don't go putting all initiation rituals into the same box.

Sorry, I'm dumb. sad  

mitsuki5561

aoijea23487

PostPosted: Mon Oct 26, 2009 1:12 pm
mitsuki5561
Illiezeulette

Sorry, I'm dumb. sad

No, don't say that! For me there is a difference between being "dumb" and just not knowing something.

A lot of authors claiming to be writing about Wicca are eager to perpetuate the idea of self-initiation. It's everywhere, and it's wrong. "Self-initiation" is a nonsensical term: to be initiated is to join a group. The group therefore must initiate you, not the other way around. If you're not even being initiated into a group... why are you calling it initiation? It's that sort of thing these authors do not seem to understand, or sometimes they lie about it straight out because "initiation" sounds cool and can make them a few bucks.

You can, of course, self-dedicate. That is, you dedicate yourself to your path, whatever it is. It's different from self-initiation because initiation is into a group, whereas a dedication is for yourself alone.

If you're writing your own dedication ritual, you don't have to stick in any oaths if you don't feel like you are ready to make them.  
PathWays

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff
Gaia's Games