Welcome to Gaia! ::

Guild of Vegans and Vegetarians

Back to Guilds

Join vegetarians and supporters for discussion on health, cooking, and ethical issues! 

Tags: Food, Vegan, Vegetarian, Animal, Cooking 

Reply Guild of Vegans and Vegetarians
Extended Family Gathering with non-veggies. Problem...

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Nadira

5,750 Points
  • Signature Look 250
  • Dressed Up 200
  • Member 100
PostPosted: Sat Oct 17, 2009 11:48 pm
I'm going to be going to attend a "Thanksgiving event" with my extended family next month, and there are only two vegetarians in the whole group. I will be flying, and won't be able to help out with preperations of the food. When I say that I am vegetarian, I mean that I am the strict type, that doesn't eat sea creatures, and rarely eat eggs or milk products. I'd like to be vegan, except, there are a few practices of mine that will never be accepted in the vegan community....

Anyways, should I go to the store and find something vegan and bring it as an addition to the dinner? I know that I may not have time to do that, but I don't want to be eating just salad or fruit at a family gathering....

Any ideas?

Also, the brother of the other cousin who is veggie, is gung-ho on getting veggies to eat dead carcus--I mean "meat". I DO know that most of the family is like that, and would like to know what comments or things that you may have done to work with situations such as these.

Thanks

Nadira  
PostPosted: Sun Oct 18, 2009 12:37 pm
my friend lazy bonz tell me if it's big family gathering and they didn't perpare special dish especially for few vegetarian maybe you should ask if they could please perpare dishes for you 3. Or pick those vegetables and vegetarians friendly food out of the mixed dishes (just don't pick those meat...)? I don't and never tried the later method. I know I would be so pissed if I have to do that due to hunger... as you are also a family member of them so if you ask nicely maybe they will help out wink just promise next time you will bring more delicious vegetarian foods to exchange at next party wink

don't be rough to them if they made something you won't enjoy, afterall if they promise to make something vegetarian friendly dishes for you, at least they have tried smile

If your cousin says mean things about vegetarians, I wouldn't sit near him, a family should respect each other maybe advises can be good but not saying mean things to each other. I wouldn't flame back.  

Kecitich

Supportive Cutesmasher

13,950 Points
  • Marathon 300
  • Waffles! 25
  • Gaian 50

Sparrow-chan

PostPosted: Sun Oct 18, 2009 6:05 pm
My family is like that as well... my relatives consider it a personal insult that I won't eat their (MEAT) dishes. Or at least they used to.

I just gently remind them that it is a lifestyle choice and is based on a love of animals and a concern about my own health, and the health of the planet, and is not intended to offend anyone. Even the worst of my relatives have little to say back to that.

And gawds NO, do not settle with just "picking the meat out" of dishes - I could never do that myself because the meat-taste (and oils, and grossness) gets into the rest of the food and you can't pick THAT out.

I've settled for eating salad, bread, cheese and crackers, and the veggies from the veggie platter (no bacon-laced dip, thanks!) for family gatherings before. It's not the greatest situation but I can get by for a meal or two until I can get my own food again. Also... Generally a few desserts at least should be safe. Don't be shy about asking what ingredients are in things, and be specific (often relatives don't realize that lard, or chicken broth, or fish, or such similar things are a NO NO to vegetarians)

As for the cousin... call me paranoid, but frankly I wouldn't go near him or trust him at all. Don't fight with him, just steer clear of him. He needs a better hobby than harassing veg-heads.  
PostPosted: Tue Oct 20, 2009 10:59 am
Even before I became a vegetarian, I was not crazy about the taste of most meats. So while my family didn't understand vegetarianism, I was just labeled a "picky eater." So my grandmother would usually make me macaroni and cheese for Thanksgiving. xp

If she didn't make me the macaroni, I'd just eat potatoes, pie, black olives, and rolls. Not much of a feast for me, but oh well.

So you could try to pass yourself off as someone who is just picky, as someone who doesn't like meat, as someone who has food allergies, or even as someone whose doctor told them to lay off the meat! Or you could bring something (like macaroni and cheese!) to serve as a side dish to everyone else but to be your main course. Or you could just pick at the meatless things already there. Every family is different. So I think it depends on what you feel most comfortable doing with yours. 3nodding  

LorienLlewellyn

Quotable Informer

at my windowsill

PostPosted: Thu Oct 22, 2009 3:54 am

That's frustrating.
    Picking up something on the way there, and eating what you can while you're there
    is probably the best thing you can do for yourself. As well as avoiding people who
    are going to make a big deal out of it.

It's all the 'family gathering' type of events that stopped me from being vegetarian sooner.
    I hate bringing attention to myself, seeming like I'm unappreciative of their food, etc.
    It was bad enough that I was so picky about meat anyway. My dad made fun of me constantly.
    Not that my diet or eating habits are any of his business, since I don't get to call out
    his faults all the time. /:

Guild of Vegans and Vegetarians

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff