Welcome to Gaia! ::

Pagan Fluffy Rehabilitation Center

Back to Guilds

Educational, Respectful and Responsible Paganism. Don't worry, we'll teach you how. 

Tags: Pagan, Wicca, Paganism, Witchcraft, Witch 

Reply Pagan Fluffy Rehabilitation Center
New to Wicca - Looking for Answers Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Charcoal Kitten

PostPosted: Sat Oct 17, 2009 8:03 pm
Well, I'm a fourteen-year-old girl. I discovered Wicca a few weeks ago and knew immediately that it was going to be my religion. Not because of the magic. Not because of the fact that it is different or unique. I knew it was the religion for me because of the belief that everything in nature is intertwined, and we all share the same energy from the universe. I believe that when we die, our souls are recycled into new people. And I know this sounds really stupid and cliche, but I also kinda felt a connection to Wicca. Like it was already a part of me. Maybe I'm a reincarnation of a Wiccan? I dunno. Well, I've done some research, but after learning about Fluff Bunnies, I want to be sure that I'm not misinformed. I also have a few questions.

1. If I don't have access to a Wiccan store, what can I use as replacements for things like an Athame until I can get to a store?

2. Could someone please explain how to do a ritual? I've read explanations online, but I don't understand them that well.

3. It'd be nice if someone gave an in-depth explanation of the Sabbats.

4. I'd also like to know how to find a coven. I really don't know of any Wiccans in the area.  
PostPosted: Sat Oct 17, 2009 8:11 pm
Charcoal Kitten
Well, I'm a fourteen-year-old girl. I discovered Wicca a few weeks ago and knew immediately that it was going to be my religion. Not because of the magic. Not because of the fact that it is different or unique. I knew it was the religion for me because of the belief that everything in nature is intertwined, and we all share the same energy from the universe. I believe that when we die, our souls are recycled into new people. And I know this sounds really stupid and cliche, but I also kinda felt a connection to Wicca. Like it was already a part of me. Maybe I'm a reincarnation of a Wiccan? I dunno. Well, I've done some research, but after learning about Fluff Bunnies, I want to be sure that I'm not misinformed. I also have a few questions.
wink
Quote:

1. If I don't have access to a Wiccan store, what can I use as replacements for things like an Athame until I can get to a store?
Well, what are you using Athame for?
Quote:

2. Could someone please explain how to do a ritual? I've read explanations online, but I don't understand them that well.
Well, it depends on the ritual. Which one are you trying to do?
Quote:

Unfortunately, not my area of expertise. But my gut reaction is that since the spelling looks kinda similar to the "Sabbath" I guess it's a day for holy reflection?

But that's my ignorant Christian guess, so please don't rely on it whatsoever.
Quote:

4. I'd also like to know how to find a coven. I really don't know of any Wiccans in the area.
Now actually that is a good question. I'd have no idea how to find a coven beyond networking.  

Gho the Girl

TeaDidikai

PostPosted: Sat Oct 17, 2009 8:15 pm
Charcoal Kitten
I knew it was the religion for me because of the belief that everything in nature is intertwined, and we all share the same energy from the universe.
Lots of religions hold that to different extents.

Quote:

Nothing. The Wica have specific rites that create an athame.
Quote:

Since Wica is an initiatory mystery religion, you'll need to wait until you are initiated in order to learn how to participate in them.
Quote:

They're honoring of the Lord of the Isles.

Quote:
Amber and Jet shut down their Seekers List as I recall, but when you find one- get a vouch to ensure they're actually Initiated.

I do have to ask one question though:
Why do you feel it is important that your god beats your goddess in order to teach her to love him?

How do you feel about being ritually flogged?
Does the requirement of sexual contact as part of the initiations pose any issue for you?

The bottom line is that you're going to have to wait to join the cult.
In the mean time, you may end up finding something that is much more suited to you- such as Standing Stone Trad.  
PostPosted: Sat Oct 17, 2009 8:19 pm
Charcoal Kitten

i am not wiccan, but i will share with you what i do know of the religion.

first, it is a fertility based religion (yep, sex and everything) not a nature based one.

to even be considered for initiation, which must be done by a lineaged coven going back to gerald gardner, you must be 18 years of age.

steer clear of anything written by silver ravenwolf, she does not write wiccan books (even if she thinks so) and she provides misinformation.

a great source to begin with is the writings of gerald garner himself, as he created the religion in the 1940s-50s. these can be found online, unfortunately i do not have the link.

everything about wicca that makes it wicca is oathbound, meaning you will not know the true names of the deities and you will not know the secrets until you have been initiated into a coven and have been studying with them for a very long time. it short, you must prove yourself worthy of these secrets. also, this is why you will learn nothing but outer court beliefs from books (always, always, always cross-reference your sources, just because its in a book does not make it true)

i believe there is a reading list somewhere in this guild that will tell you of good sources and sources to stay away from. this is about the extent of my knowledge.

edit: i was thinking of the wrong guild sweatdrop
this reading list is provided by another guild (i don't know if you can view it without being in the guild)
http://www.gaiaonline.com/guilds/viewtopic.php?t=16424205

double whammy edit: there is a recommended reading list on here. doh *facepalm*  

whiporwill-o

Violet Song jat Shariff
Crew

Resilient Raider

7,200 Points
  • Tycoon 200
  • Citizen 200
  • Gaian 50
PostPosted: Sat Oct 17, 2009 8:22 pm
First off, at the age of 14 you are too young to be Wiccan. Due to the sexual nature of rituals and themes in Wicca, one must be at least 18 to be considered for initiation.

Your questions...almost feel like you're putting the cart before the horse. I mean, you don't know how to do a ritual, but you're asking what/if you can use to replace a proper athame?

If you haven't already, reading the Wiccan FAQ might be a lot of help.  
PostPosted: Sat Oct 17, 2009 8:25 pm
Well the internet is very wrong about everything.  

Charcoal Kitten

TeaDidikai

PostPosted: Sat Oct 17, 2009 8:30 pm
Charcoal Kitten
Um, well, Athames are used to invoke the elements during the ritual, tight?
They're used for a lot of things.

Why do you think elements are invoked in the practices of the Wica?
Quote:

And as for rituals, well, that's another thing. There isn't any explanations on what you do rituals for. Or what you do during rituals. Or anything. Just a very basic explanation of Wicca would suffice for now. A Wicca for Dummies, if you will. All help welcome. 3nodding
The Wica do the rituals to serve the Lord and Lady of the Isles and to experience their mysteries.

The rituals differ based on what the ritual itself is for.

The basic explanation of Wica is this:
It's a ditheistic, initiatory, mystery fertility cult made up of clergy that serves the Lord and Lady of the Isles.  
PostPosted: Sat Oct 17, 2009 8:33 pm
Charcoal Kitten
meaning what?  

Gho the Girl

Nines19

PostPosted: Sat Oct 17, 2009 9:12 pm
Gho the Girl
Charcoal Kitten
meaning what?

(A guess, based on what I've seen on the Internet) That pretty much everything most "Wiccan" sites say is wrong and misinformed on the meaning of Wicca.

Charcoal Kitten: What you've been reading about isn't necessarily "wrong" or an invalid spiritual path - it just isn't Wicca. Usually (from what I've seen) most websites teaching what they call Wicca are really teaching religionized witchcraft, with the religion part being mostly eclectic paganism, especially with a nature-focused bent. That's okay (provided you take to such responsibly). It's just not Wicca.  
PostPosted: Sat Oct 17, 2009 10:41 pm
I guess it was our information we were giving her; she's no longer found in the Guild Members list neutral

I think that was some kind of record.  

Violet Song jat Shariff
Crew

Resilient Raider

7,200 Points
  • Tycoon 200
  • Citizen 200
  • Gaian 50

whiporwill-o

PostPosted: Sat Oct 17, 2009 10:54 pm
Violet Song jat Shariff
I guess it was our information we were giving her; she's no longer found in the Guild Members list neutral

that's unfortunate.  
PostPosted: Sat Oct 17, 2009 11:35 pm
whiporwill-o
Violet Song jat Shariff

that's unfortunate.

But not surprising (IMO). And that's unfortunate as well >.>  

Violet Song jat Shariff
Crew

Resilient Raider

7,200 Points
  • Tycoon 200
  • Citizen 200
  • Gaian 50

maenad nuri
Captain

PostPosted: Sun Oct 18, 2009 4:59 am
Damn. That actually makes me sad that she left.  
PostPosted: Sun Oct 18, 2009 10:12 am
maenad nuri
Damn. That actually makes me sad that she left.
And no one even did any name calling. We were all professional, responsible pagan role models, and she STILL left. xp  

Gho the Girl

Kitsune_Lunami

PostPosted: Sun Oct 18, 2009 10:41 am
Quote:

Make one yourself? And any new age store should do.

Quote:

I'd take more time reading.

Quote:

Again, I'd consider reading, particularly history.

Quote:

You can always look online, but you know, that's not always helpful. If there aren't any around, perhaps you should wait until you are able to go elsewhere.

Rather than just repeat everything already mentioned here, I'd recommend you read up a fair share. You're still young, and much too young to even be considered into Wica yet, for you must wait until your 18 to be considered. There are other religions, and you should look some of them up, there's a fair good share of links and books referenced here. Really make sure you're understanding of what is known of the faith, as well as others. One thing you should at least do is keep doing this, and not just one particular sets, get a gist of everything.  
Pagan Fluffy Rehabilitation Center

Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff