Welcome to Gaia! ::

Gaian Art Mentors

Back to Guilds

Where artists are paired in a mentor/mentee fashion to share their knowledge. 

Tags: artists, mentor, mentee, learning, drawing 

Reply Sketchbooks [Get crits here! Open to everyone]
lalamariana: could use some help [12-Mar-2010] Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

lalamariana

3,250 Points
  • Signature Look 250
  • Dressed Up 200
  • Forum Regular 100
PostPosted: Sat Oct 10, 2009 8:41 pm
User Image
Howdyz ^_^

My username: lalamariana.
My Many names: The_anti_coagulant, TheWaterPhantom, ThePhantomSarah, tac-and-phantom, Tac la aguja, bree, AND if you feel the need to call me so you may call me Sarah but I am not leaving my number so you can't call me at all XD
My tools: Crayola Stuff ~colored pencils, watercolors, crayons~, Prang watercolors, Loew-Cornell watercolor tubes, my schools oil paint, ink pens (I'm to poor for dip pens), a huge marker with an unknown language on it, various brushes, Gimp/Photoshop but mostly Gimp, watercolor paper (2 sizes but I usually cut them smaller), and printer paper.
My Deviantart Gallery

Okay never mind I am going to be a plant scientist I think ^_^ That doesn't require too many classes so I think I might have free time. yays ^_^

***If I use some weird word it is because my English 101 teacher is making my class memorize a book of vocabulary from the 1930s XP

Thank you for viewing/helping ^_^

NOTESyummy copy pasta ^_^
Quote:

human body = 6-9(short-tallest) heads, usually 7
3 head for upper body
4 head below the hip
human hip is almost as wide as shoulder
spheres and cubes,spheres and cubes,spheres and cubes,spheres and cubes,spheres and cubes,spheres and cubes,spheres and cubes,spheres and cubes,spheres and cubes,spheres and cubes 3-D!!?!?
cheat codes T.T
for eyes ^_^

****needs fixed*****
bodies narrow after chest
Draw more often...

I am going to improve epically before Apr 21!  
PostPosted: Wed Oct 14, 2009 12:13 am
What do you think you need work on?  

Sazarac

lalamariana

3,250 Points
  • Signature Look 250
  • Dressed Up 200
  • Forum Regular 100
PostPosted: Fri Oct 16, 2009 2:51 pm
I would like critique on this one all though other than practicing anatomy I'm not sure. That is what I need help with. I don't know what I am doing. Some people say I show bad habits but they won't tell me what those are.

this drawing  
PostPosted: Fri Oct 16, 2009 4:53 pm
What's tough with this picture is you need to put in some foreshortening - at an angle like this I think you actually have the proportions OK, but you have drawn it fairly flat, so it makes the legs look short and the hips sort of dissapear.

Here are two things you can try -

Go to your reference pose, and either print out a copy or put it on photoshop (if you use the computer). Draw with a thick pen over the picture, using shapes to represent parts of the body. Like a rectangle for the torso, cylinders for the arm, etc. A bit like this guy here : Linky
It will help you map out the body a bit.

For the foreshortening, print out another pic of the pose and try drawing contour lines around the body, following the shape its making. A bit like this : Linky

but not as complex. Just so you get an understanding of how the shape comes out.

with your drawing, first of all, that's a pretty tough pose to take on so kudos to you =) It could benefit from getting rounded out a bit, especially on the legs. They don't need to be drawn longer, but they need to show the illusion of being longer - like with the second excercise with line contour, they need to show that they are round, and are heading towards the foreground. In this example : Linky if you look at the fingers, see how the creases on the fingers are rounded? It helps create the illusion that the finger is longer, when if you literally measured it compared to the hand, it would come up short.

I hope that helps a bit and isn't too dense :p  

Vena

5,300 Points
  • Hygienic 200
  • Gaian 50
  • Treasure Hunter 100

lalamariana

3,250 Points
  • Signature Look 250
  • Dressed Up 200
  • Forum Regular 100
PostPosted: Sat Oct 17, 2009 5:45 pm
Vena
What's tough with this picture is you need to put in some foreshortening - at an angle like this I think you actually have the proportions OK, but you have drawn it fairly flat, so it makes the legs look short and the hips sort of dissapear.

Here are two things you can try -

Go to your reference pose, and either print out a copy or put it on photoshop (if you use the computer). Draw with a thick pen over the picture, using shapes to represent parts of the body. Like a rectangle for the torso, cylinders for the arm, etc. A bit like this guy here : Linky
It will help you map out the body a bit.

For the foreshortening, print out another pic of the pose and try drawing contour lines around the body, following the shape its making. A bit like this : Linky

but not as complex. Just so you get an understanding of how the shape comes out.

with your drawing, first of all, that's a pretty tough pose to take on so kudos to you =) It could benefit from getting rounded out a bit, especially on the legs. They don't need to be drawn longer, but they need to show the illusion of being longer - like with the second excercise with line contour, they need to show that they are round, and are heading towards the foreground. In this example : Linky if you look at the fingers, see how the creases on the fingers are rounded? It helps create the illusion that the finger is longer, when if you literally measured it compared to the hand, it would come up short.

I hope that helps a bit and isn't too dense :p

Thanks I'll try all of this ^_^
(I'm bad at drawing shapes too so I wonder how this will go ><)  
PostPosted: Wed Nov 04, 2009 8:06 pm
So this one is a smidgen past critiquing stage but i tried to put in as much as my newly learned anatomical skills as I thought his outfit would allow. He's a bit top heavy in my opinion but I don't know... Critique on any aspect would be greatly appreciated ^_^.

User Image  

lalamariana

3,250 Points
  • Signature Look 250
  • Dressed Up 200
  • Forum Regular 100

lalamariana

3,250 Points
  • Signature Look 250
  • Dressed Up 200
  • Forum Regular 100
PostPosted: Mon Nov 09, 2009 9:27 pm
Sorry to spam my own post, but I keep saying how much I <3 bears but never show anything so here you go:

User Image  
PostPosted: Mon Jan 11, 2010 7:12 pm
User ImageUser Image

So, here is another anatomy fail for your eyes *_* I think I got better at plants though ^_^ This picture...I just don't like it for some reason. Abbi (the chick) is probably messing with my juju because her legs can't physically support her crying
User Image

lalamariana

3,250 Points
  • Signature Look 250
  • Dressed Up 200
  • Forum Regular 100

Man-Sae

PostPosted: Wed Jan 13, 2010 3:23 pm
Hey *wave*

Just a tip about human anatomy, remember that a human body consist about the length of 6-9(short-tallest) heads depending how short or tall they are. Usually 7 head count is okay; 3 head for the upper body and 4 head below the hip. Another tip is that human hip is almost as wide as their shoulder.

I hope those anatomy tip will help you next time xD other than that, I love the interaction between the plants and the two character. Very sweet.  
PostPosted: Thu Jan 14, 2010 8:44 am
I'll probably add in a more in-depth critique when I'm less pressed for time, but both of your human characters in that picture are very top-heavy. You should self-critique and make sure that the top and the bottom of their bodies are in-proportion and balanced.

The interesting thing is that, although not anatomically perfect by any means, the bodies don't get out of whack until after the chest at which point they both narrow down considerably. I can't imagine that this is a stylistic choice.

The background details are well done, and the hair textures are consistent.  

Griffonage

no surrender

PostPosted: Sun Jan 17, 2010 3:17 am
Hello. smile
You seem very enthusiastic about art which is very good, and the art you create is made better because of this. Keep up the hard work and you'll improve quickly.
Now onto critique!
In general, your images could use some more contrast. The skintones look rather flat.
Also, with the most recent picture, the girl you drew looks very masculine. Girls tend to have hips. Even really athletic girls. At the moment, her shoulders are twice the width of her hips, where as in an ideal body type the should be equal. Her arms are also quite muscular, so I'm assuming she's an athlete. In which case, smaller breasts and more shapely legs would make sense. Her torso is one body type and her legs another one entirely.
I hope this helps.
Good luck!  
PostPosted: Sat Jan 23, 2010 11:03 pm
User Image
Well... I tried to make improvements try number 2

lalamariana

3,250 Points
  • Signature Look 250
  • Dressed Up 200
  • Forum Regular 100

Anpu the black Seraph

PostPosted: Sun Jan 24, 2010 1:55 pm
Cool stuff. Think you have a lot of potential.  
PostPosted: Wed Feb 17, 2010 11:02 pm
a random freebie chibi

User Image  

lalamariana

3,250 Points
  • Signature Look 250
  • Dressed Up 200
  • Forum Regular 100

lalamariana

3,250 Points
  • Signature Look 250
  • Dressed Up 200
  • Forum Regular 100
PostPosted: Fri Mar 12, 2010 2:40 pm
from this photo
User Image

I didn't notice how much more shading it needed until I scanned it...
Her head also isn't as tilted as it should be.
her nose might be too small

Help please ^_^  
Sketchbooks [Get crits here! Open to everyone]

Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas