Welcome to Gaia! ::

Guild of Vegans and Vegetarians

Back to Guilds

Join vegetarians and supporters for discussion on health, cooking, and ethical issues! 

Tags: Food, Vegan, Vegetarian, Animal, Cooking 

Reply Guild of Vegans and Vegetarians
Silk Soymilk, not your best choice. Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Helpful?
  Yes!
  Not really, no.
View Results

Heterotechno

PostPosted: Thu Oct 08, 2009 12:13 pm
Silk claims their soybeans are usda Organic, when really they're from CHINA where the organic laws are much, much looser. And some soymilk producers even soak their soybeans in chemicals!

I found this really interesting. The cornucopia institute did as study of the soy food industry and ranked the companies based on:

- Do the soybeans come from American organic farmers, or are they imported from China, India or South America?

- Is the company devoted to supporting organic agriculture by sourcing only organic soybeans and marketing only organic products?

- Does the company use loopholes in the organic standards to source cheaper non-organic ingredients even when organic ones are available?

The list is here.
Take a look at the company names when looking at the list and note that the big corporations aren't following the rules!
Kraft foods, Hain Celectial, Dean Foods, Kellogs, Walmart!

While it's good that these companies can provide "veg" food to the masses, be smarter then them, vote with your dollar, support the little guy for doing the right thing, and for christ sake think about what you're putting in you body!
Do the research! We can change the world. :]  
PostPosted: Thu Oct 08, 2009 2:40 pm
i prefer almond milk anyways. smile  

pinkcatminht

blue octopus on my head

PostPosted: Thu Oct 08, 2009 2:44 pm
soy
bleh
it tastes like mushrooms
I dont even want to taste a mushroom milk  
PostPosted: Thu Oct 08, 2009 2:57 pm
Yeah... I can see how that would happen. I've always hated the taste of Silk soymilk.  

simianwaters

Heterotechno

PostPosted: Thu Oct 08, 2009 6:38 pm
Dia Dementia
i prefer almond milk anyways. smile

Me too!
Plus it's usually a bit cheeper. :p  
PostPosted: Thu Oct 08, 2009 8:41 pm
I love silk, well except the last 2 cartons I bought.
I opened one(and wrote the date I opened it, so I would know when it was bad) and was drinking it and eating it with things and it tasted like vanilla, like it should. As I got near the end, it started to taste horribly like dirt and in a very faint/odd way, marijuana.
I finished it and opened the other carton and first drink, it tasted like the last one.
I'm going to attempt to make my own almond milk and see how that goes DX  

Peppermint Cherry

irishcocoa

PostPosted: Tue Oct 27, 2009 2:35 pm
And even if it comes from America, chances are it's a tampered with bean: http://www.no-patents-on-seeds.org/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=93&Itemid=56

And apparently most of the soy grown in America isn't grown for human consumption.  
PostPosted: Sun Nov 15, 2009 2:13 pm
Many Silk products are now made with soybeans that aren't organically grown. You have to check the label. For example, their "nog" isn't organic. I've started encouraging the grocers where I live to start carrying Organic Valley soymilks instead. An added plus for chocolate soymilk lovers is that Organic Valley uses organic cocoa, where Silk never did....  

Sexual Liberationist

at my windowsill

PostPosted: Sun Nov 15, 2009 4:59 pm

On top of being questionably organic, Silk is owned by Dean Foods. /:
    It is also really processed and just way too sweet, I find.
    Buy some So Nice or Organic Valley instead, they're usually well available.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 16, 2009 11:23 am
Oh wow. confused
I'm not a vegan so this really doesn't imply to me, just shoes you actually should read the ingredients before buying/consuming.  

winter rat

Sexual Liberationist

PostPosted: Mon Nov 16, 2009 3:54 pm
misfit baby
Oh wow. confused
I'm not a vegan so this really doesn't imply to me, just shoes you actually should read the ingredients before buying/consuming.

And do it repeatedly with the same products, since they often change ingredients. There was one Post cereal I used to like, but then they changed the packaging a little, but I didn't think much of it. Sitting there eating a bowl of it, I was re-reading the ingredients, and they started using gelatin in it....  
PostPosted: Sun Nov 22, 2009 11:55 am
Ingredients change *all* the time, I never buy anything without checking the ingredients before hand anymore after seeing all the times my best friend has had an allergic reaction to something that never gave her an allergic reaction before (she's allergic to milk and eggs) she's like my vegan barometer. If she eats it, it's vegan, because she's a vegetarian who *is* allergic to milk and eggs.  

Tandahda

The REAL easter bunnuh

6,150 Points
  • Forum Regular 100
  • Elocutionist 200
  • Forum Junior 100
PostPosted: Mon Nov 23, 2009 7:01 pm
Hemp Milk! try it  
PostPosted: Tue Nov 24, 2009 11:29 am
irishcocoa
And apparently most of the soy grown in America isn't grown for human consumption.
the irony in that is that it's for factory-farmed animals' consumption.  

pinkcatminht

Zoologist

PostPosted: Mon Jan 04, 2010 2:19 pm
The guidelines for whether something or not is organic are loose within our own country, and heavily politicized (like everything else). Organic is not the be all end all.

I like almond and hazelnut milk too but it'd be expensive to always buy that when I both drink it and use it in baking and cooking all the time.  
Guild of Vegans and Vegetarians

Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff