Welcome to Gaia! ::

Guild of Vegans and Vegetarians

Back to Guilds

Join vegetarians and supporters for discussion on health, cooking, and ethical issues! 

Tags: Food, Vegan, Vegetarian, Animal, Cooking 

Reply Guild of Vegans and Vegetarians
'Fake Vegetarians' Goto Page: 1 2 3 ... 4 5 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Annoying?
  YES
  No
  I don't really care.
View Results

angel_devil121

PostPosted: Wed Oct 07, 2009 4:47 pm
Does anyone else get pretty annoyed when people claim to be vegetarian, but still eat one kind of meat, i.e. fish?
This one girl today said something about liking bbq chicken, and one of her friends said 'I thought you were a vegetarian' her reply: 'No, I am, I just eat CHICKEN'

Does this annoy anyone else?

PostPosted: Wed Oct 07, 2009 7:17 pm
You have no idea.
I got a lot of stuff from peta(leaflets, those 'what they never told you books, sticker) and made a baggie of a whole bunch of stuff for a girl at school who I knew was vegetarian. I gave her all that stuff and she got an attitude with me cause I forgot she ate fish and had put some leaflets in there about saving fish.
After that, in that same hour she started handing out stickers. I don't think I've ever been more pissed off at a person.  

Peppermint Cherry

Kecitich

Supportive Cutesmasher

13,950 Points
  • Marathon 300
  • Waffles! 25
  • Gaian 50
PostPosted: Wed Oct 07, 2009 11:34 pm
Yes I do get annoyed about that, especially when someone said they are vegetarian in one show, while few weeks later appeared in another tv show eating and "tasting" fish/meat  
PostPosted: Thu Oct 08, 2009 11:32 am
I don't mind tasting something you've never had before, but if you consistantly eat one type of meat that doesn't make you a vegetarian.
People who eat fish are Pecitarian, and obviously don't realize the harm the fishing industry does to the whole ecosystem.
And people who eat CHICKEN! Don't even get me started. :/  

Heterotechno

reptileluver101

PostPosted: Sun Oct 18, 2009 8:18 am
there are certain religons that cause people not to eat beef or pork; but still allows them to eat fish and chicken. For example in India (not bashing on them, just a good example) they feel all life is sacred...well then why eat the chicken and fish? There are also pecsetarians and i forget the other name, but it means you eat no meat except chicken. I don't see how you're a true vegetarian in those cases. I feel that you just eat less meat than the normal person consumes.

Once my sister asked me why I was a vegetarian. I said that I didn't like how animals were treated, and started talking about animal rights,ect. My sister then says "well why don't you eat chickens or fish? There are a bunch of those." and I say "They still have lives too. Thats like saying, well why don't you go and murder our neighbor. there are loads of humans areound." 0_o  
PostPosted: Sun Oct 18, 2009 12:18 pm
reptileluver101
there are certain religons that cause people not to eat beef or pork; but still allows them to eat fish and chicken. For example in India (not bashing on them, just a good example) they feel all life is sacred...well then why eat the chicken and fish? There are also pecsetarians and i forget the other name, but it means you eat no meat except chicken. I don't see how you're a true vegetarian in those cases. I feel that you just eat less meat than the normal person consumes.

Once my sister asked me why I was a vegetarian. I said that I didn't like how animals were treated, and started talking about animal rights,ect. My sister then says "well why don't you eat chickens or fish? There are a bunch of those." and I say "They still have lives too. Thats like saying, well why don't you go and murder our neighbor. there are loads of humans areound." 0_o

oh your sister maybe young smile or teasing you whee surprised  

Kecitich

Supportive Cutesmasher

13,950 Points
  • Marathon 300
  • Waffles! 25
  • Gaian 50

kamekame

PostPosted: Tue Oct 20, 2009 4:46 pm
This is incredibly annoying.
D;
I work at a Farm Sanctuary and this one girl [whom I though was a vegetarian] wanted to visit so I took her out there. She started saying a bunch of stuff, typical vegetarian/vegan talk like how can people do that to animals, and so on.
A couple weeks later I saw her at school eating a burger and some chicken nuggets, I asked what she was doing and she said oh yeah I'm not vegetarian anymore.
She never was.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 27, 2009 2:29 pm
I got into an argument with an old co-worker--according to her, the only meat that is meat is beef and poultry. Chicken and fish aren't. I have yet to figure this out.

When I ran into her in the store, she noticed I was buying feta cheese and asked me "are you a vege?". I hadn't told her I was before, but I did so now; no, what go me was how she thought that by eating feta, I was a vegetarian. I didn't ask, but it was rather odd. Somehow, feta cheese and being a vegetarian go hand in hand.  

irishcocoa

Suicidal Watercolors

PostPosted: Wed Oct 28, 2009 4:40 pm
I dont really mind as much about fish, EVEN THOUGH I KNOW FISH IS A MEAT AND IT'S BAD AND ALL THAT. I KNOW. I READ THINGS.
But the poultry thing does bother me. My boyfriend does and says he's poulutarian, and i constantly rag on him about that fact. But at least it's better then them eating ALL meats. I mean, baby-steps are better then sitting in one meaty spot, ya know? I dont mind pescs, and i dont think they're 'fake' necisarily. My rentals are pescatarians, and i dont rag on them...much.  
PostPosted: Fri Oct 30, 2009 1:20 pm
Suicidal Watercolors
I dont really mind as much about fish, EVEN THOUGH I KNOW FISH IS A MEAT AND IT'S BAD AND ALL THAT. I KNOW. I READ THINGS.
But the poultry thing does bother me. My boyfriend does and says he's poulutarian, and i constantly rag on him about that fact. But at least it's better then them eating ALL meats. I mean, baby-steps are better then sitting in one meaty spot, ya know? I dont mind pescs, and i dont think they're 'fake' necisarily. My rentals are pescatarians, and i dont rag on them...much.

Poultry and fish are not "less of" an animal than a cow.

When one switches away from red meat and focuses solely on fish and chicken, they actually increase the lives they end (it takes more chickens to produce the same amount of meat as a cow).

So, ethically, I would prefer one to stop eating fish and poultry and focus on red meat, if one is going to ween oneself off of it.  

aoijea23487

Fairytale Endings

PostPosted: Fri Oct 30, 2009 1:22 pm
    Yes, it does! My grandma's a pescetarian, but she always calls herself a vegetarian.
    If you eat meat, you aren't a vegetarian.
    Like me, I'm not a vegetarian, used to be, and trying to talk my mom into letting me do it again.
    But I don't go around calling myself a vegetarian, as much as I'd like to be one. User Image
    User Image

PostPosted: Fri Oct 30, 2009 10:05 pm
Kecitich
reptileluver101

oh your sister maybe young smile or teasing you whee surprised

same age as me. feternal twins. exact opposites. and nooo she wasnt teasing me :[  

reptileluver101

ikeywii

PostPosted: Fri Oct 30, 2009 11:12 pm
I used to know this girl who claimed to be vegetarian but at lunch one day she stole a chicken nugget from another kid's tray. Someone called her out on it and apparently she was just doing it to be cool, then decided to quit. -_-;

PostPosted: Mon Nov 02, 2009 2:59 pm
Illiezeulette
Suicidal Watercolors

Poultry and fish are not "less of" an animal than a cow.

When one switches away from red meat and focuses solely on fish and chicken, they actually increase the lives they end (it takes more chickens to produce the same amount of meat as a cow).

So, ethically, I would prefer one to stop eating fish and poultry and focus on red meat, if one is going to ween oneself off of it.

I never said they were less of animals.

plus, my family and i do the veg/pesc thing for more of a health reason then animal issue. Plus, I don't really care to call someone 'fake'. I'm doing this for me, not everyone else (=  

Suicidal Watercolors

Aphorism

Lonely Noob

PostPosted: Tue Nov 03, 2009 8:56 am
Eh, when I come across someone who claims they are a vegetarian while they still eat fish/chicken/etc., I try to ignore it. I've gotten into too many arguments about it.

sweatdrop  
Guild of Vegans and Vegetarians

Goto Page: 1 2 3 ... 4 5 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces