Welcome to Gaia! ::

Gaian Art Mentors

Back to Guilds

Where artists are paired in a mentor/mentee fashion to share their knowledge. 

Tags: artists, mentor, mentee, learning, drawing 

Reply Gaian Art Mentors
Unfair? Mural talk

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Unfair?
  yes
  No
View Results

Podium

Lonely Man-Lover

13,900 Points
  • Elocutionist 200
  • Conventioneer 300
  • Way Too Many Pies 300
PostPosted: Mon Oct 05, 2009 6:40 pm
Well a while back my advanced art class was asked to paint a mural for our school. It was great but i felt like we werent actually doing much. All the credit was given to us and not the artist who Actually designed the mural. He did most of the work while we painted one little area as a class. The mural was amazing but i feel like we didnt give the artist nearly enough credit. Is that unfair? Its been bothering me and i would like some other peoples opinions.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 05, 2009 8:29 pm
It would bother me too. Do you know who did the design? Maybe you can get some of the other people in your program together to resolve the issue. Like get the designer to come and sign it, or have a small plaque printed with the person's name added by the mural.  

Errol McGillivray
Captain

Podium

Lonely Man-Lover

13,900 Points
  • Elocutionist 200
  • Conventioneer 300
  • Way Too Many Pies 300
PostPosted: Tue Oct 06, 2009 4:27 pm
Yea he signed it but we had the open house thingy and he wasnt even there. He gave us all the credit. I myself only painted a purple rock. Its killing me.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 06, 2009 5:03 pm
It feels unfair to me, but are you sure the artist didn't have some agreement worked out with your school beforehand? Seems strange that the guy would paint something for your class without some prior knowledge.

If you think the work has been stolen unknowingly, you should try to contact the artist somehow. If you think it was knowingly painted for your class, then it is possible that the artist did it as charity.

And, of course, if you think the artist's work was obviously stolen, see if you can contact one of the higher up's, like your teacher or a director, and see about getting it resolved.

Just my ideas anyhow~  

Syrella
Crew

7,900 Points
  • Mark Twain 100
  • Megathread 100
  • Friendly 100

Podium

Lonely Man-Lover

13,900 Points
  • Elocutionist 200
  • Conventioneer 300
  • Way Too Many Pies 300
PostPosted: Wed Oct 07, 2009 6:03 pm
Yea I doth think it was stolen.  
PostPosted: Wed Oct 07, 2009 9:04 pm
Seems simple enough. If it bothers you, ask why the artist wasn't credited with the work. It does sound like he did it for you guys though. I give you credit for caring. Just ask your teacher. You'll feel better for knowing.

BTW, most murals are quite the opposite. The designer gets all the credit while it's his/her underlings who do all the work and get none.

Podium
Well a while back my advanced art class was asked to paint a mural for our school. It was great but i felt like we werent actually doing much. All the credit was given to us and not the artist who Actually designed the mural. He did most of the work while we painted one little area as a class. The mural was amazing but i feel like we didnt give the artist nearly enough credit. Is that unfair? Its been bothering me and i would like some other peoples opinions.

Sazarac

Podium

Lonely Man-Lover

13,900 Points
  • Elocutionist 200
  • Conventioneer 300
  • Way Too Many Pies 300
PostPosted: Thu Oct 08, 2009 3:52 pm
Well its at my old school so theres not much i can do about it.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 12, 2009 9:39 pm
The leave it be. Or if you know the original designers name you could always write him a note thanking him for his contribution and then ask him a bit about how the whole credit thing works.

Podium
Well its at my old school so theres not much i can do about it.

Sazarac

ACDC1551

PostPosted: Thu Nov 12, 2009 3:56 pm
He came up with the desgine he should get at least like E-P of the credit
enough said  
PostPosted: Thu Nov 12, 2009 4:44 pm
ACDC1551
He came up with the desgine he should get at least like E-P of the credit
enough said

Agreed... he should atleast get some credit.  

Luna Kitsune Kasumi

4,450 Points
  • Survivor 150
  • First step to fame 200
  • Peoplewatcher 100
Gaian Art Mentors

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items