Review: Cadian Blood

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Hoxtalicious

Greedy Partner

PostPosted: Mon Oct 05, 2009 1:26 am
User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.

Synopsis:"When the Imperial shrine world of Kathur is blighted by Chaos, the brave Guardsmen of Cadia are sent to reclaim it. The plague of Nurgle has set in deeply on the planet, forcing the Cadians into battle with innumerable legion of infected. In the midst of battle, Captain Parmenion Thade is thrust into an unlikely commanding role. Yet he cannot imagine what lies ahead on Kathur, and just how important it will be to ensure victory there..."

What to expect: As with most novels some liberties are taken of course but for the most part it remains true to the background and what is known about Cadia and its inhabitants. The characters for the most part are fun, interesting and at the end of the novel, somewhat scary in some cases. Most are the staple of military fiction, the "tormented by his past" Commander, the new Commissar, the silent and brooding Kasrkin Commando sergeant with stoic one-liners (which actually don't blow for a change!), the hated operations commander and my favourite, the junior officer who speaks his mind regardless of company present and who nags about everything, resulting in some very colourful and refreshing moments in the book. I found myself caring for some of the characters and certainly looked at some differently at the end.

The plot is somewhat predictable and the outcome even more so but the pace and the way things go still make it a great read and I found myself captivated enough to no not skip to the last page and read that instead. Good show.

Sure there is the done to death theme of "we have to pull this off against all odds" but the way the author shows it to you is simple and blunt in most cases. No page long story about what happened to who, no he just tells you that the fight lasted half a minute and that him and her died. On the one hand it's different and a bit choppy, but on the other hand it's refreshing.

Another thing I liked was the inclusion of odd bits of text such as descriptions of the Emperor's Tarot complete with a description of what the card signified and did along with some excerpts from private journals. One of an Inquisitor who paints a bleak picture, a second of a fellow Guard commander who pretty much says the same and finally the journal entry of a mouthy Cadian lieutenant who has a tendency to speak his mind regardless of present company. His simply said "I hate this planet."

Final Verdict: It has been many winters since I've last read an Imperial Guard novel that didn't disappoint or blow. Not since Fifteen Hours did a Guard novel captivate me so much. I had my doubt about this seeing as Cadians are my primary army and big man crush, but this debut novel of the author doesn't fail or fall short in my eyes.  
PostPosted: Sun Oct 18, 2009 12:19 pm
So I have a question and maybe you know mac.

Following is spoilers and is in white text. Read at your own discression.

So, I've just got to the point with the journal entries, the point where the Death Guard fleet has come out of the warp and the Traveller is leading it. Captain Typhus has the Manreaper, wasn't that Mortarion's scythe? Did Mortarion die? If it tells me in this book dun let me know. I'm just confused and am too afraid to look anything up incase of spoilers.  

Sir Kyle Aziz

Hoxtalicious

Greedy Partner

PostPosted: Sun Oct 18, 2009 2:45 pm
Could be, but it is of no real subject for this novel. It could be touched upon in a future Horus Heresy novel about that legion. Mortarion himself has become a daemon prince and rules over a plague world in the eye of terror btw.  
PostPosted: Sun Oct 18, 2009 9:41 pm
Ah, okay.

Man though, I'm sad about the Death Guard. They were my second fave pre-heresy chapter. That whole drinking poison stuff was too cool, and they had a like "meh" attitude about fighting. They didn't care, didn't have a certain way of doing it. They just did it. I loved that about them.

An I got pissed when I heard about Nurgle trapping them in the warp and giving them the disease so that they'd have to worship chaos when they didn't to begin with.  

Sir Kyle Aziz

Hoxtalicious

Greedy Partner

PostPosted: Mon Oct 19, 2009 12:13 am
Actually, Typhus is also to blame for the changing of the legion. He was more or less the one who did the inside work.  
PostPosted: Mon Oct 19, 2009 2:53 am
It was an okay read, a bit of a tall tale though here and there. I understand that Cadians are the best of the best, but their marksmanship is a bit overrated. But I really liked most of the characters and their little bits and pieces of background paired with casual remarks or witty anecdotes. "It's going to be a busy week" and "I HATE THIS PLANET" whee

And yes, lieutenant Taan Darrick is a lovable rogue. whee  

Lady Blodwynn

Sexy Businesswoman

7,900 Points
  • Unleash the Beast 100
  • Guildmember 100
  • Brandisher 100

Sir Kyle Aziz

PostPosted: Mon Oct 19, 2009 2:06 pm
Lady Blodwynn
It was an okay read, a bit of a tall tale though here and there. I understand that Cadians are the best of the best, but their marksmanship is a bit overrated. But I really liked most of the characters and their little bits and pieces of background paired with casual remarks or witty anecdotes. "It's going to be a busy week" and "I HATE THIS PLANET" whee

And yes, lieutenant Taan Darrick is a lovable rogue. whee

Oh, he does lovable rogue quite well.  
Review Corner

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces