Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

AndyX

6,550 Points
  • Brandisher 100
  • Treasure Hunter 100
  • Invisibility 100
PostPosted: Mon Sep 28, 2009 10:12 am
this may have alreayd been addressed, i find that after 6-8 pages of browsing old forum posts i get tired and decide just to post my own.

ok i recently saw the last episode of voyager. missed alot of voy due to it being owned by a wierd network. also missed the episode where the Doctor got his mobile emitter.

but anyways i was wondering about the temporal mechanics work out.

Alt Future admiral janeway brings future tech back in time and shares it with voyager to get them home faster.
i can see where this is plausible due to voyager still being in the delta quad. however it seems to me that once voyager makes it back to the alpha that future janeway would have no reason to go back in time and admiral janeway should have then just disappeared as the timeline corrects itself. as well as any tech she brought along with her.

if the tech and the like hasn't disappeared then i suppose that means that later on we're going to see that cool (ablative?) armor on all fed ships like what 20 years sooner than we otherwise would have? as well as be facing borg with that technology too  
PostPosted: Tue Sep 29, 2009 3:06 pm
Things would have been a whole lot better if Janeway had just used the Caretaker's Array to get back home, but alas.

I hate to think that Janeway had anything useful to say, but she did, and it concerend temporal paradoxes:

"My advice in making sense of temporal paradoxes is simple: Don't even try."

She ******** up the timeline so many times. I wish the USS Relativity would have executed her for temporal war crimes. Or something.

Grouchu

Original Trash

35,650 Points
  • Rat Conqueror 500
  • Trash Can Supporter 50

Steel Sterling
Captain

Brilliant Saint

18,265 Points
  • Battle: Mage 100
  • Battle: Cleric 100
  • Team Jacob 100
PostPosted: Wed Sep 30, 2009 12:26 am
Voyager, as a series, had some truly AWFUL writing problems stemming from
writers trying to use time-travel as a plot device.

Until we actually see ships with the new tech in other sources, we don't know
if the later writers are just going to skip over the tech entirely.  
PostPosted: Wed Sep 30, 2009 9:20 pm
I think this is another case of the Star Trek XI syndrome where the time traveling that takes place is from the future of a parallel universe who happens to crossover into the Prime universe (why us?) Otherwise then yes Admiral Janeway would have conceivably contradicted her work by altering the flow of events. At the VERY least the Prime Janeway would have to make the same journey 20 years later after speed rushing home.

I really did not like the Voyager season finale for this reason. I felt it was a cheap cop-out. I appreciated the concept but the execution, like so many others, was poor.

Star Trek: Online, which is 20 years after the events of Star Trek: Nemesis (10) decided to remove any Star Trek: Enterprise lore and it looks like the finale of Voyager was cut as well as there is no screenshot evidence of the ablative technology or trans-phasic torpedoes (instead we'll be given phaser gatling-shotguns).  

Frogr1701

AndyX

6,550 Points
  • Brandisher 100
  • Treasure Hunter 100
  • Invisibility 100
PostPosted: Thu Oct 01, 2009 3:41 am
Frogr1701
I think this is another case of the Star Trek XI syndrome where the time traveling that takes place is from the future of a parallel universe who happens to crossover into the Prime universe (why us?) Otherwise then yes Admiral Janeway would have conceivably contradicted her work by altering the flow of events. At the VERY least the Prime Janeway would have to make the same journey 20 years later after speed rushing home.

I really did not like the Voyager season finale for this reason. I felt it was a cheap cop-out. I appreciated the concept but the execution, like so many others, was poor.

Star Trek: Online, which is 20 years after the events of Star Trek: Nemesis (10) decided to remove any Star Trek: Enterprise lore and it looks like the finale of Voyager was cut as well as there is no screenshot evidence of the ablative technology or trans-phasic torpedoes (instead we'll be given phaser gatling-shotguns).

well transphasic torpedoes may still be in there but it doesn't sound like you've going to have access to them right away.  
PostPosted: Sat Oct 24, 2009 1:37 am
Grouchu

I hate to think that Janeway had anything useful to say, but she did, and it concerend temporal paradoxes:

"My advice in making sense of temporal paradoxes is simple: Don't even try."

I agree with you. If you try to think about temporal paradoxes your head will explode. sweatdrop

Anyway, if for some odd reason someone wants to think about time travel, I usually think of it as a two loop storyline.

In the case you were talking about, Voyager takes a lot of time, so Janeway from the future comes to give a hand. Then the future is changed because of it. Because the future is changed, Janeway from the future doesn't go back to give Voyager a hand, which means Voyager takes a lot of time to be back... and we loop back to the beginning of my sentence. confused  

Maddy
Crew

Beloved Lunatic

19,050 Points
  • Married 100
  • Falling For You 25
Boldly Go - A Star Trek Guild

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items