Reply Painting and Modelling Discussion
My Scratch built Thunderhawk Transporter Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Isis47470

PostPosted: Thu Sep 24, 2009 7:02 pm
This is My scratch built ThunderHawk transporter only took a week for me to plan out and build, as you can see its made of wood along with some space marine bitz I used gorilla glue to put it together along with Elmer's wood putty to finish off some spots.

User Image - Wing WIP (work in progress)

User Image - post main construction

User Image - pre paint

User Image - Complete

User Image
User Image
User Image  
PostPosted: Fri Sep 25, 2009 12:46 am
Nice! Bonus points for making it the right length so it can either lug a Raider or two Rhinos.  

Hoxtalicious

Greedy Partner

Shinobi_8745

PostPosted: Fri Sep 25, 2009 1:36 am
Nicely done Isis, always nice to see scratch builds around here. x3 <3  
PostPosted: Sun Sep 27, 2009 8:43 am
hmm... now would be a good time to shamelessly plug my scratchbuilt thunderbolt fighter... if i had photos handy... >.<  

Darkweaver66

6,200 Points
  • Tycoon 200
  • Forum Regular 100
  • Brandisher 100

Hoxtalicious

Greedy Partner

PostPosted: Sun Sep 27, 2009 9:08 am
Quit stealing other people's thunder you leech.  
PostPosted: Sun Sep 27, 2009 9:29 am
Really nice! Do you have magnets on the land raider/rhinos?  

BloodyMary76

Witty Conversationalist

Inenor

PostPosted: Mon Sep 28, 2009 11:08 am
Sgt_OBrien

i would like to know this as well.  
PostPosted: Sun Oct 04, 2009 12:29 pm
I can't say I like it. It is too obvious that it is scratch built from wood.  

Litany of Darkness

Herr Kaiser

Aged Codger

PostPosted: Sun Oct 04, 2009 12:40 pm
Sister_Rory
I can't say I like it. It is too obvious that it is scratch built from wood.

think how much time they put into this and effort.
i mean come on, what do you expect it's not going to be perfect no matter who makes it. (except GW,forge world,etc.)

it's still pretty awesome though.  
PostPosted: Wed Oct 07, 2009 11:53 am
Inenor
Sgt_OBrien

i would like to know this as well.

Thanks for all the comments gang! 3nodding

Originally I did plan on using magnets to hook them to the THT but when I got down to it I would have to find spots to hide magnets on the Landraider and rhinos so sadly at the moment the Transporter just Sits on top of the tanks its carrying, for use in games that ok really.

When I do fix the attachment system I will use cables or a sling system with magnets much like our current army heavy lift aircraft, The fear of the tanks falling off the THT is why I didn't go with arms originally lol.

The twin-linked Heavy bolters are attached with super magnets, this way they can break off in transport or storage, same with the landing gear which isn't in the pics. The bolters are stored in the front of the fuselage and the landing gear in the back.  

Isis47470

Hoxtalicious

Greedy Partner

PostPosted: Thu Oct 08, 2009 3:00 am
Best way to magnetize vehicles for lifting purposes would be to attach strong magnets on the inside of each vehicle hull.  
PostPosted: Thu Oct 08, 2009 9:25 am
Lt. Brookman
Best way to magnetize vehicles for lifting purposes would be to attach strong magnets on the inside of each vehicle hull.

This is very true... unless your my tanks, my tanks are among the oldest units in my army and where built back when I was new to modeling, everything is glued shut and in place, there is no getting at the guts lol. xd
The sling system would look different but then some chapters do make improvisations based on whats available to them. 3nodding  

Isis47470

Alissindra

5,750 Points
  • First step to fame 200
  • Conversationalist 100
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
PostPosted: Tue Oct 13, 2009 9:01 pm
Take a small modeling knife or other similar device and pop out the hatch on top of the Rhinos. For the LR i recommend just popping at the front hatch a bit.

When i first started thats how i built my whirlwind, Everything except the gun and two front fire points is locked up tighter then a ticks a**.  
PostPosted: Tue Oct 13, 2009 9:36 pm
I suggest you sand it a bit more, and cut the windows so that the "glass" is inset. The hazard Striping, and the blue things stick out like sore thumbs, so sand them and smooth them out a little bit. Probably remove the hazard striping, and just paint it on if you want it on there.  

Litany of Darkness

Isis47470

PostPosted: Wed Oct 14, 2009 11:33 pm
Sister_Rory
I suggest you sand it a bit more, and cut the windows so that the "glass" is inset. The hazard Striping, and the blue things stick out like sore thumbs, so sand them and smooth them out a little bit. Probably remove the hazard striping, and just paint it on if you want it on there.

The grain of the wood it's self was in fact sanded it happens to be a rough cut,
The blue things are suppose to stick out, my marines don't exactly try for subtle. As for the model in totality it is built in a style, my style. Further vehicles will be built in the same way. However, you have a few good ideas and I cant wait to see you do better. smile  
Painting and Modelling Discussion

Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff