Welcome to Gaia! ::

Pagan Fluffy Rehabilitation Center

Back to Guilds

Educational, Respectful and Responsible Paganism. Don't worry, we'll teach you how. 

Tags: Pagan, Wicca, Paganism, Witchcraft, Witch 

Reply Pagan Fluffy Rehabilitation Center
Conflicts of Hospitality Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

TeaDidikai

PostPosted: Thu Sep 24, 2009 1:08 pm
I was interested in what folks though of religious expectations of hospitality, and their relation to shared hospitality.

For example, in this guild, Nuri is issued hospitality for being the Guild Captain, but at the same time, individual threads may have concepts of hospitality attached based on the original poster.

Another example may be found amongst people who rent their dwelling rather than own it.

Have you experienced such a conflict? Does your path offer commentary upon the expectations of you in such situations?  
PostPosted: Thu Sep 24, 2009 1:38 pm
The only thing I've found (in terms of a Kemetic path) that relates to hospitality is this short extract from the instructions of Ptah Hotep:

Quote:
If you be among the guests of a man that is greater than you, accept that which he gives you, putting it to your lips. If you look at him that is before you (your host), pierce him not with many glances. It is abhorred of the soul to stare at him.

Speak not till he address you one knows not what may be evil in his opinion. Speak when he questions you ; so shall your speech be good in his opinion.

The noble who sits before food divides it as his soul moves him; he gives unto him that he would favor- [it] is the custom of the evening meal. It is his soul that guides his hand. It is the noble that bestows, not the underling that attains. Thus the eating of bread is under the providence of the God; he is an ignorant man that disputes it.

This is definitely at odds with the American ethic that I'm accustomed to; equality is considered fair, eye contact is considered attentive, and conversation or banter is polite. I understand that there would have been different conceptions of what's polite in such a different culture, but above all the Egyptians valued a person who was gracious:

Ptah Hotep
If you be a leader, as one directing the conduct of the multitude, endeavor always to be gracious, that your own conduct be without defect.

And also a person who is kind and does not cause discord:

Ptah Hotep
Let your face be bright what time you lives. That which goes into the storehouse must come out therefrom ; and bread is to be shared.

He that is grasping in entertainment shall himself have an empty belly; he that causes strife comes himself to sorrow. Take not such an one for your companion.

It is a man's kindly acts that are remembered of him in the years after his life.

So in that sense I would act within whatever the owner of the house deems as proper etiquette.

Note: I take into consideration that this was written by one man (as prestigious a Vizier as he might be) and might not be indicative of behavior that is honorable or typical of all people during that time, but I consider it as indicative of the prevailing ideas about behavior that a cultured person might have. In that case I think it's a good thing to aspire to.  

Bastemhet

Cyrus the Elder

6,650 Points
  • Brandisher 100
  • Tycoon 200
  • Elocutionist 200
PostPosted: Thu Sep 24, 2009 5:05 pm
TeaDidikai
I was interested in what folks though of religious expectations of hospitality, and their relation to shared hospitality.

For example, in this guild, Nuri is issued hospitality for being the Guild Captain, but at the same time, individual threads may have concepts of hospitality attached based on the original poster.

Well, as far as the guild goes, I try my best to extend hospitality in two ways, to Nuri as the host, and towards others in the guild as the host's guests. The way I see things, it's as much a breach of hospitality to fight someone's guests as it is to fight the host themselves. However, there are very occasional exceptions to this, but those generally only come into play once the guest in question has already broken hospitality themselves, and they end at the point where the host tells me to knock it the ******** off. 3nodding

Individual threads, well, I'm not to sure about those to be honest. I'd personally view them more as the "rooms" of the host's property, still belonging to the host, just allowing the guest to take up residence in them.

Quote:
Have you experienced such a conflict?

Well, this much should really be self-evident by now ninja

Quote:
Does your path offer commentary upon the expectations of you in such situations?

Yes. Hospitality to the host is absolute (barring a few -very- extreme circumstances), and hospitality to the host's guests continues as long as the guests themselves keep hospitality, and can be extended even beyond that at the request of the host.  
PostPosted: Fri Sep 25, 2009 7:12 am
I have been in conflict more than once regarding hospitality, mostly where others have violated the Laws Of Mutual Respect in Etherism and then been surprised at the severity of my response.

The Laws do adjust for context, in that violating hospitality of another is a very bad thing to do even if that hospitality has rules in it you don't necessarily have yourself, but in the context of Etherism, any place that requires me to violate the Three Pillars or the Laws of Mutual Respect in order to honor it's hospitality is s**t-listed. I will refuse the hospitality and refuse to enter the threshold (or leave if I am already there) to avoid violating the precepts of my religion.

Say for instance I woke up with injuries in a Christian church and the priest required me to say a prayer to YHVH as per the hospitality of that place. I would leave immediately.  

Recursive Paradox

Aakosir

Dangerous Businesswoman

7,600 Points
  • Conversationalist 100
  • Brandisher 100
  • Treasure Hunter 100
PostPosted: Sun Sep 27, 2009 6:17 pm
Well I don't know what religion my hospitality is based off of, probably my own concept, but my mother and I have been having a really bad issue with two kids that have been renting a room in our basement... Keep in mind that they are only renting a room. And these two are 18 and 19 boyfriend and girlfriend.

So far they have come up to our levels during the night, used the ice crusher while we were all asleep, they have left outside and inside lights on at all times of the day and night accusing each other of leaveing them on, they track dirt inside our kitchen (where they are not llowed to enter) through our halls up to my brothers room (on our new carpet) and everywhere in the basement, they walk up and down the stairs without knocking when they do (I like to stay in my pj's for half the day), the boy used my playstation multiple times without asking and never returned it (I actually locked it in my room), none of us trust them to not steal from us so when my mother or I leave we lock our bedroom doors, um let's see... My sister had her couch down in the living room for them to use, they said they would buy it from her about two months ago, but she has not seen a single penny for it, they are in debt almost two thousand dollars, only the girl has a job, the boy is a lazy pothead (no offense to anyone else, but it's all he does) who calls out of work because he doesn't want to go, they have fights about every week (and I am soo glad my daughter is asleep when it happens) last time the boy threw water on her while she was trying to sleep on my sisters couch, she came up and asked if I could say something to him, I did, he didn't like it, he claimed he was paying for the whole basement (he motioned with his arms to everywhere) I told him he's renting a room and he has not paid a penny for the couch so ofcourse he was mad, um... we have lamanate flooring and if any mosture gets on it it will buckle and be ruined and this was the flooring on which he threw the water... I know there's more, but I do not want people to go blind from staring at the screen...

My mother was raised Catholic (I believe) I was raised Methodist and have began studying and following different religions and I know for a fact that Wiccans would probably feint from this. I do not know many views, but I know my own and I believe that this is way wrong. hey abuse their privilidges and do not ask when they wish to use anything. Outside toys are brought in for they child they occasionally babysit, they scratch up the wood and who said it was okay for them to even bring the child into our home? And the childs father just got out of jail for stealing, I believe. My mom told them she did not want him in her house, she did not trust him and this was her home. Guess who is spending the night maybe a week later...

Sorry, this is also a bit of a rant for me. I need to find a therapist so I don't get so distraught with all this, but where's the money?

Also I'm only 18. I have a one year old and a fiance who is in the Marines. I love him to death and hate war... What a mix  
PostPosted: Tue Oct 13, 2009 3:01 pm
Aakosir
I know for a fact that Wiccans would probably feint from this.
Why? stare

Quote:
I need to find a therapist so I don't get so distraught with all this, but where's the money?

Also I'm only 18. I have a one year old and a fiance who is in the Marines. I love him to death and hate war... What a mix
The therapist sounds like a good idea.

Care to comment on the actual topic at hand?  

TeaDidikai

Fiddlers Green

PostPosted: Thu Oct 15, 2009 1:51 pm
I used to have very developed ideas about this.
Ideas that I took the rake to and realized they were more pretense than potency.
In my perceptions, it has all boiled away, and I am left with a simple maxim.
There are no oaths between men and lions.
If I chose to edit my behavior, it is a voluntary act of courtesy or an understanding that doing otherwise will bar my entrance to a place I wish to be.

Mind you, this does not stop me from creating or resuscitating rules that I expect from my guests, but the only power to enforce them is my own. I try to make them fair, or at least fair seeming, but if one does not like them, then they can go elsewhere... or they can fight me over them.  
PostPosted: Thu Oct 15, 2009 6:16 pm
Fiddlers Green
or they can fight me over them.
Why, Pray tell, did the only mental image to spring to mind was one of you in a wading pool with jello? eek  

TeaDidikai

Fiddlers Green

PostPosted: Thu Oct 15, 2009 11:39 pm
TeaDidikai
Why, Pray tell, did the only mental image to spring to mind was one of you in a wading pool with jello? eek

Your mind bears curious fruit.
I would humour a person who wished such a setting for our strife, if they provided it.  
PostPosted: Fri Oct 16, 2009 8:54 am
I know Wiccans are normally a very calm group. I could not imagine what a Wiccan would do in my situation. It is just blatant disrespect.  

Aakosir

Dangerous Businesswoman

7,600 Points
  • Conversationalist 100
  • Brandisher 100
  • Treasure Hunter 100

Shearaha

Aged Hunter

PostPosted: Fri Oct 16, 2009 10:37 am
Aakosir
I know Wiccans are normally a very calm group. I could not imagine what a Wiccan would do in my situation. It is just blatant disrespect.

Sorry, I'm not sure what Wiccans have to do with the conversation? What are you commenting on here?

And why would Wiccans be calm? One of the two I'm aquanted with is rather firey in my experiance.  
PostPosted: Fri Oct 16, 2009 9:43 pm
Fiddlers Green
TeaDidikai

I would humour a person who wished such a setting for our strife, if they provided it.

XD  

Recursive Paradox

TeaDidikai

PostPosted: Fri Oct 16, 2009 11:11 pm
Recursive Paradox
Fiddlers Green
TeaDidikai

XD
So when people see me unpacking the kiddie pool and the coolers of Jello at Summerstar, they'll know I'm about to pick a fight with Fiddler.  
PostPosted: Sat Oct 17, 2009 6:24 am
Fiddlers Green
TeaDidikai

Well damn..... I gotta remember that next time you and I have a row.
At least, thwat way, one of us will enjoy it XD  

CuAnnan

Dapper Genius

5,875 Points
  • Person of Interest 200
  • Autobiographer 200
  • Dressed Up 200

Recursive Paradox

PostPosted: Sat Oct 17, 2009 7:37 am
TeaDidikai
Recursive Paradox
Fiddlers Green
TeaDidikai

XD
So when people see me unpacking the kiddie pool and the coolers of Jello at Summerstar, they'll know I'm about to pick a fight with Fiddler.

So what you're telling me is, clear my schedule and save up for a trip? XD  
Pagan Fluffy Rehabilitation Center

Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces