Welcome to Gaia! ::

Guild of Vegans and Vegetarians

Back to Guilds

Join vegetarians and supporters for discussion on health, cooking, and ethical issues! 

Tags: Food, Vegan, Vegetarian, Animal, Cooking 

Reply Guild of Vegans and Vegetarians
Non-vegan medications

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Lady Callie G

8,900 Points
  • Overstocked 200
  • Tycoon 200
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
PostPosted: Tue Sep 22, 2009 9:43 pm
It's been brought to my attention that a lot of medications aren't safe for vegans. What if you really need that medication? Would you take it even if it has animal bits in it?  
PostPosted: Mon Oct 12, 2009 11:55 am
Depends how desperately I needed it I guess. confused
Obviously if I was seriously ill, I'd take it. Not for something everyday though like a cold. I'd try and avoid it then.  

Thorndrop

Dapper Genius

La Veuve Zin

Rainbow Smoker

5,650 Points
  • Mega Tipsy 100
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Ultimate Player 200
PostPosted: Mon Oct 12, 2009 5:41 pm
If I really needed it, and there were no other formulations, yes.

Keep in mind some medications that usually come in gelatin capsules also come in tablets or liquid that doesn't contain gelatin (or other animal products.) So you can try asking for those if you're prescribed a medication with gelatin in it. As a last resort, though this might be more expensive, you might have a compounding pharmacy nearby that can buy the drug as a bulk powder and make you vegan capsules or liquid.  
PostPosted: Tue Oct 20, 2009 2:49 pm
If you are able to choose what goes in you--non ER setting/Emergency setting, then do your best to get veg*n options. A while back, I was in the ER, and they told me what they needed to do, but because of the situation, there was no other choice. There weren't secondary options, and if I didn't there would be terrible complecations. Balancing my believes with reality, I did what they needed to do.

When I look back, I am sorry for any lifes that I have hurt for my desire to live. But that was the point, I was going to die, if I hadn't had the proceedure.

So, when it is life and death or a terrible emergency, I my advice is to find out your options, and find a balance. If I didn't take the option, I wouldn't be here to help others understand what veg*nism is all about. OR help others advance in their life, or anything....

I guess ultimately, your decision goes with the situation. If you can get the veg*n version-DO IT, If you can't, weigh the options...  

Nadira

5,750 Points
  • Signature Look 250
  • Dressed Up 200
  • Member 100
Guild of Vegans and Vegetarians

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items