Welcome to Gaia! ::

Pagan Fluffy Rehabilitation Center

Back to Guilds

Educational, Respectful and Responsible Paganism. Don't worry, we'll teach you how. 

Tags: Pagan, Wicca, Paganism, Witchcraft, Witch 

Reply Pagan Fluffy Rehabilitation Center
What do you do for Mabon? Goto Page: 1 2 3 4 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

PinkFluffyButterflies

1,900 Points
  • Member 100
  • Cart Raider 100
  • Hygienic 200
PostPosted: Wed Sep 16, 2009 8:06 am
Since next Tuseday will be Mabon, and thus the start of fall, I was wondering how everyone here celebrates?
I'll start.
I made a wreath last year and I think I'll make a new one this year. A friend and I cut three apples before drowning them in honey and carmel, we offered them to the god and goddess. We also made a punch out of fresh fruit (that was messy!) before dancing in front of my fire place and casting a protection spell.  
PostPosted: Wed Sep 16, 2009 9:57 am
Now might be a wonderful time to point out that not everyone here celebrates Mabon.  

Violet Song jat Shariff
Crew

Resilient Raider

7,200 Points
  • Tycoon 200
  • Citizen 200
  • Gaian 50

TeaDidikai

PostPosted: Wed Sep 16, 2009 10:52 am
PinkFluffyButterflies
Since next Tuseday will be Mabon, and thus the start of fall, I was wondering how everyone here celebrates?
Since I'm not Norse, I don't celebrate Mabon.

Quote:

I cut three apples before drowning them in honey and carmel, we offered them to the god and goddess.
Which god and goddess?  
PostPosted: Wed Sep 16, 2009 11:25 am
TeaDidikai
PinkFluffyButterflies

Quote:

I cut three apples before drowning them in honey and carmel, we offered them to the god and goddess.
Which god and goddess?
Confusion. I thought Mabon was Welsh?  

Celeblin Galadeneryn

Beloved Romantic

15,800 Points
  • Potion Disaster 50
  • Egg Hunt Master 250
  • Luminary Melee Champion 200

Collowrath

PostPosted: Wed Sep 16, 2009 11:45 am
I don't celebrate Mabon, regardless of where it comes from. smile I do, however, have some traditions that come about with the start of fall.

We get out old photos of our ancestors (some are very old, so we don't like to keep them out all the time), and put them out on display. We keep a candle with them, a plate, and this year I've added a glass of water.

Also, this year, I made a doll of the god Jarilo, who passes with the coming of fall. I buried him in a special place and sung for him.

Near the end of October, there are a couple of feast days, for our ancestors. The plate I mentioned before is filled during those dinners generously, and the food is later burned. On the last day of October, I'll make a wreath and get some things ready, and on November 1st I'll take them to my grandparents' grave, clean it up, and decorate it for the winter.

Some of this is cultural tradition, some of it is not.  
PostPosted: Wed Sep 16, 2009 11:49 am
Collowrath
I don't celebrate Mabon, regardless of where it comes from. smile I do, however, have some traditions that come about with the start of fall.

We get out old photos of our ancestors (some are very old, so we don't like to keep them out all the time), and put them out on display. We keep a candle with them, a plate, and this year I've added a glass of water.

Also, this year, I made a doll of the god Jarilo, who passes with the coming of fall. I buried him in a special place and sung for him.

Near the end of October, there are a couple of feast days, for our ancestors. The plate I mentioned before is filled during those dinners generously, and the food is later burned. On the last day of October, I'll make a wreath and get some things ready, and on November 1st I'll take them to my grandparents' grave, clean it up, and decorate it for the winter.

Any special foods or is it what you're having?  

TeaDidikai

TeaDidikai

PostPosted: Wed Sep 16, 2009 11:55 am
Celeblin Galadeneryn
TeaDidikai
PinkFluffyButterflies

Quote:

Which god and goddess?
Confusion. I thought Mabon was Welsh?
D'oh. You're right. I screwed the pooch on that one.

I thought it was Norse because I was told the solar festivals in generic neo-paganism lifted from Norse sources. A quick crosscheck shows you're right. My bad.  
PostPosted: Wed Sep 16, 2009 12:38 pm
Even if I celebrated Mabon, I doubt I would do much for it. Holidays and celebrations, to me, always involve family gatherings. If there's no family gathering, then the holiday loses all meaning.

Since no one else in my family is anywhere near pagan, it would just be empty rituals to me.

Thanksgiving, though, is a pretty big deal. Halloween used to be when I was younger, too.  

AniMajor

8,000 Points
  • The Perfect Setup 150
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Mark Twain 100

TeaDidikai

PostPosted: Wed Sep 16, 2009 12:55 pm
AniMajor
Even if I celebrated Mabon, I doubt I would do much for it. Holidays and celebrations, to me, always involve family gatherings. If there's no family gathering, then the holiday loses all meaning.

Since no one else in my family is anywhere near pagan, it would just be empty rituals to me.

Thanksgiving, though, is a pretty big deal. Halloween used to be when I was younger, too.
I can understand that.
We have some walnut trees here, I think I'll end up making some dye and working with eggs. I have a project in the works, so it could be helpful to do a bit of art.  
PostPosted: Wed Sep 16, 2009 1:02 pm
Quote:
Now might be a wonderful time to point out that not everyone here celebrates Mabon.

Yes I know that. I still like to talk about things like this. Mabon isn't the only fal celebration so part of my hope was to learn about the others. I'm still new to all this.

Quote:
Which god and goddess?

Just the god and goddess. I don't name them because I feel their names would be sacred. Though given the time of year it would probably be Mother Goddess and Aging God.

Quote:

Last year my friend made pork chops with a berry sauce. I'm fixing a stew this year.  

PinkFluffyButterflies

1,900 Points
  • Member 100
  • Cart Raider 100
  • Hygienic 200

TeaDidikai

PostPosted: Wed Sep 16, 2009 1:22 pm
PinkFluffyButterflies
Mabon isn't the only fal celebration so part of my hope was to learn about the others. I'm still new to all this.
Should have asked then.

Quote:
Just the god and goddess. I don't name them because I feel their names would be sacred. Though given the time of year it would probably be Mother Goddess and Aging God.
Wait... so you're not actually honoring gods but archetypes?  
PostPosted: Wed Sep 16, 2009 1:33 pm
TeaDidikai
Collowrath

There are some cultural foods, like halushky (potato and flour dumplings), and pirohy that I like to make. This year, I'm working on my medovniky recipe - honey cakes. They're a Christmas thing, but since I'm looking to perfect my repertoire of cakes, kolache, and breads, those are definitely going to be on the menu. Other than culturally relevant foods, I'm of the opinion that my ancestors would appreciate foods they liked in life, unless they show otherwise.

I as well have a walnut tree nearby. I really need to start learning how to make pisanky (we usually call them kraslice?) in detail. My immediate family never made them

PinkFluffyButterflies
Though given the time of year it would probably be Mother Goddess and Aging God.

I find the surface parallels between my mythology and eclectic neopaganism... well, I'm not sure how I feel about it actually. It's a little interesting though. sweatdrop  

Collowrath

Maze

PostPosted: Wed Sep 16, 2009 1:45 pm
I don't celebrate Mabon, but I have a friend who does/did (was it this week?)

She has an interest in Wicca, but no longer follows that path and from what little I gathered - she's a new friend/acquaintance, and we mostly talk at work, so there isn't always time - her path is a little unclear so far.

She has a friend or acquaintance who uses runes on a medicine wheel, so I'm not sure what to make of that yet.. Seems to work for him, though. *shrugs*  
PostPosted: Wed Sep 16, 2009 2:16 pm
Collowrath

There are some cultural foods, like halushky (potato and flour dumplings), and pirohy that I like to make. This year, I'm working on my medovniky recipe - honey cakes. They're a Christmas thing, but since I'm looking to perfect my repertoire of cakes, kolache, and breads, those are definitely going to be on the menu.
There's a buckwheat pan bread... are you familiar with it?
Quote:

Other than culturally relevant foods, I'm of the opinion that my ancestors would appreciate foods they liked in life, unless they show otherwise.
One more thing we have in common.
Quote:

I as well have a walnut tree nearby. I really need to start learning how to make pisanky (we usually call them kraslice?) in detail. My immediate family never made them
PM me. We'll talk.  

TeaDidikai

Calixti

PostPosted: Wed Sep 16, 2009 2:21 pm
Anybody going to say what the hell Mabon is? Besides, apparently, a Welsh name for the autumn equinox?  
Pagan Fluffy Rehabilitation Center

Goto Page: 1 2 3 4 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff