Welcome to Gaia! ::

Pagan Fluffy Rehabilitation Center

Back to Guilds

Educational, Respectful and Responsible Paganism. Don't worry, we'll teach you how. 

Tags: Pagan, Wicca, Paganism, Witchcraft, Witch 

Reply Pagan Fluffy Rehabilitation Center
Off Topicish: Thesis for Doubly Marginalized Populations

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Deoridhe
Crew

Fashionable Fairy

11,650 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Tooth Fairy 100
  • Elocutionist 200
PostPosted: Tue Sep 15, 2009 4:11 pm
I am in the process of writing my Masters Thesis for my degree as a Marriage and Family Therapist.

The goal of my thesis is to begin to include the myths, archetypes, and stories of people who are unfairly marginalized due to racism, sexism, and other systems of oppression. Both historically and currently, psychology has been hostile toward the experiences of people marginalized due to any of their characteristics, and this has disproportionately affected those marginalized due to several. Even when a feminist critique might improve the psychological view of white, gender congruent, heterosexual, currently able bodied women, it might actually impair the psychological view of women of color, or lesbians. In an attempt to counter this division of people and double exclusion of people with intersecting axis of marginalization, I would like to introduce the experiences, stories, and artistic creations of individuals excluded due to multiple characteristics.

My psychological bias is toward Jungian psychology, which is largely concerned with the archetypes that had been viewed as universal but which have been found to largely center white, heterosexual, gender congruent, currently able bodied men. Not everyone will want to step into a potentially hostile field with things they hold precious, but I will make every attempt to make my presentation of these things respectful and careful.

Please let me know if you would like to take part on my Thesis. I'll need an email to contact you with, and there is an Informed Consent Form (best in a word document) I need signed in order to meet the demands of the Ethics Committee.

To make this more topical, please feel free to discuss how other aspects of marginalization (gender, sex, affluence, race, etc...) has affected or altered your religious experiences.  
PostPosted: Tue Sep 15, 2009 4:52 pm
*raises hand*
If you have use for me, I'll take part.

As to spiritual experiences...I do get bouts of "OMG I am TOTALLY not white enough to work with my gods" sometimes sweatdrop . Doesn't usually last more than a couple days though.  

Violet Song jat Shariff
Crew

Resilient Raider

7,200 Points
  • Tycoon 200
  • Citizen 200
  • Gaian 50

Deoridhe
Crew

Fashionable Fairy

11,650 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Tooth Fairy 100
  • Elocutionist 200
PostPosted: Tue Sep 15, 2009 5:04 pm
Violet Song jat Shariff
As to spiritual experiences...I do get bouts of "OMG I am TOTALLY not white enough to work with my gods" sometimes sweatdrop . Doesn't usually last more than a couple days though.

Would you mind expanding on that? I only know what it is to be white and vaguely Celto-Germanic, and I sought my gods specifically along ancestral lines, so I have a very different experience (being one of the people saying OMG you don't need to be white! I know most of us are, but you don't NEED to be!).  
PostPosted: Tue Sep 15, 2009 5:10 pm
Deoridhe
Violet Song jat Shariff

Would you mind expanding on that? I only know what it is to be white and vaguely Celto-Germanic, and I sought my gods specifically along ancestral lines, so I have a very different experience (being one of the people saying OMG you don't need to be white! I know most of us are, but you don't NEED to be!).

My heritage is half-Korean, half-"white" (it's ambiguous as that particular parent was adopted and there's no real way anymore to dig through paperwork)...and I know I don't *need* to be white, but I feel like there's always that presence of "white is preferable."

I found the gods via finding a sense of home...although I know that isn't enough to indicate I'm in with no problems.  

Violet Song jat Shariff
Crew

Resilient Raider

7,200 Points
  • Tycoon 200
  • Citizen 200
  • Gaian 50

Calixti

PostPosted: Tue Sep 15, 2009 5:11 pm
I'll take part, if you can use me. I've got a gmail address that's the same as my Gaia name, but if you'd prefer you can PM me for my more 'official' e-mail address based on my real name.  
PostPosted: Tue Sep 15, 2009 6:29 pm
I'm in.  

TeaDidikai

Pagan Fluffy Rehabilitation Center

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas