Welcome to Gaia! ::

Gaian Art Mentors

Back to Guilds

Where artists are paired in a mentor/mentee fashion to share their knowledge. 

Tags: artists, mentor, mentee, learning, drawing 

Reply Sketchbooks [Get crits here! Open to everyone]
Brutal Critiques Needed.

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Moondoggy09

PostPosted: Mon Sep 14, 2009 2:38 pm

My apologies if this is in the wrong subforum as the regulations thread confused me a little, If it is in the wrong place, no harm done remove it or delete it.
If you have seen my post in the introductions thread you will know that I am no longer messing around. Here is my gallery http://moondoggy09.deviantart.com/ Take a look and tell me exactly why it sucks, If your comment is just that it is good then I dont want to hear it because I know its a lie
Edit: I probably should have thought to include this initially but.
I am almost 18, I desperately seek to have a career in art, Manga is looking unlikely but I still want to produce my own webcomics.
I am currently pursuing an apprenticeship in tattooing, my more original tattoo designs are jealously guarded due to my crippling fear of art theft.
Anyway aside from that I am not entirely sure what to say.
PostPosted: Mon Sep 14, 2009 5:18 pm

http://moondoggy09.deviantart.com/art/Rayne-From-Behind-136126785

In your dA comment you say you have a hard time drawing your character Rayne from behind with a shapely figure. First of all, if you intended for Rayne to be shapely then her hips should have more definition. Also, on the left side, that should be rounder as opposed to almost flat. If you want to draw a shapely woman then the key is to keep things curved, and that'll get rid of the pancake butt.

With http://moondoggy09.deviantart.com/art/Kazuo-Kungfu-135493671 your main problem is lack of convincing anatomy. Study anatomy, especially the shape of muscles. (I recommend posemaniacs.com) In fact anatomy seems to be your biggest obstacle because it seems like you have grandoise ideas that just don't pan out because of it.

apiyo

Blessed Hunter

9,100 Points
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
  • Brandisher 100
  • Treasure Hunter 100

tirbutt
Crew

Sparkling Sentai

PostPosted: Mon Sep 14, 2009 7:47 pm

Hello and welcome to the guild!

Like apiyo said, I think anatomy is one of the major things you need to watch for right now. Of course, that's easier said than done. A quick fix for now is to try referencing for poses, especially the difficult ones, or even get a large mirror and see how you look in those poses (you'll quickly find that some poses are PAINFUL and not possible)

However, the real solution is to draw... draw from life, and draw from life a LOT.... draw the random dude you see sitting on a bench, draw your parents, draw your neighbor mowing the lawn, you can try out posemaniacs and do some 30-second sketches as well to get more fluid in your drawings. Study some anatomy books, etc etc.

Of course you probably know all that already, but I'm just being naggy and reminding you lol

Anatomy aside, I noticed that your shading is also very flat - Next time you start shading, pick an easy light source (like from the front/top or something) and keep that in mind while you're shading.

You could try inking if you're going for webcomics, and I'd like to see more color in your gallery too smile ...

Some other things you might want to practice for webcomics is to draw the same character with different expressions, backgrounds, and also some action poses.

... ... I know that's a LOT to think about about and way too much to do all at once... haha... but but just some things for you to keep in mind as you get serious with the drawing wink ....

Lastly, if you'd like a more in depth critique on a specific picture, feel free to post it and ask!
PostPosted: Thu Sep 17, 2009 5:24 pm

So have I improved, Here is my latest drawing with full background.
User Image
Compared to my last drawing of similar scale.
User Image
If you could please tell me if I have improved, where I have improved and where I still need work, thanks much.

Moondoggy09

apiyo

Blessed Hunter

9,100 Points
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
  • Brandisher 100
  • Treasure Hunter 100
PostPosted: Fri Sep 18, 2009 7:24 am

I'll say you've improved and commend you for trying out backgrounds. The objects have more weight to them and the newer one doesn't look as visually confusing.

Now when you want to introduce back grounds, you have to focus the viewers attention on something, or it is flat overwhelming to look at. You're on the right track, but start varying your line weight. Generally things in the forground will have thicker lines and be in more detail, and the background will be less detailed. This mimics the way we see in real life were far away objects are hard to make out.

In conjunction with this, important objects (in this case the men) will be more detailed and have thicker lines so you focus right on them. As it is now in both the figures blend in with the picture. With varying degrees of focus, detail, and line weight, you have a starting point for the veiwer. If you look at any form of art (from museum paintings to a frame in a movie) the artist creates some point of focus and leads the eye around. Ignoring this is one of the causes of the overwhelmed feel I get looking at the pictures.

The other thing that causes the picture to look overwhelming is a limited of value scale. Most of it is light to light-mid-grey scale. That also causes things to blend in. There needs to be more heavy shading especially were the inside of the cliff is.

So more things to study would be composition, and shading. And of course keep up with anatomy.
PostPosted: Tue Sep 22, 2009 4:53 pm

You're not too bad. You're form is good and you're attention to detail is great, maybe you could practice on your tonal ability to add more dimension to a form.

Anyhow, if you keep drawing the way you do, one day you will find that you'll be doing great.

MissPartyPants

Moondoggy09

PostPosted: Sat Oct 24, 2009 1:58 pm

I want an opinion on what has become something of my flagship piece, I really havent been able to top it since in my eyes.
User Image
You may have seen this occupying space in my signature, guiding people to my gallery.
Sketchbooks [Get crits here! Open to everyone]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff
Gaia's Games