Welcome to Gaia! ::

The Shounen Ai and Yaoi Guild

Back to Guilds

A Guild dedicated to discussing Yaoi and Boy Love. 

Tags: yaoi, shounen ai, boy love, anime, manga 

Reply The Official Shounen Ai/Yaoi Guild
Is Shonen-Ai Actually Shojo With Males?

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Sushi-kaichou

PostPosted: Wed Sep 09, 2009 10:07 pm
*please read whole post*

Is it? Think about this:
Shojo is mostly known for relationships and pretty characters.
Does that sound like shonen-ai too?

Also, check out this thread. My mule (Miori Hikari) and a bunch of other people argued whether or not Yami no Matsuei, Gravitation, and Loveless are actually "mistaken" for something other than shojo.
Shoujo does not always equal sugary romance

Please discuss kindly (unlike that thread in which page 183 erupted mass arguments).

Please note- yaoi does not count cause there is male sex, which shoujo generally doesn't have.  
PostPosted: Wed Sep 09, 2009 10:24 pm
Shoujo covers an awfully broad spectrum- everything from romance to magical girls to kid's shows. Rose of Versailles, Utena, Ojamajo DoReMi, Sailor Moon... the list is HUGE, and it spans multiple genres. Shounen ai is a little less broad-spectrum, and tends to hit topics with less of a girly feel and more of a 'rough and tumble' attitude, I suppose. (FAKE is a good example of that.) It's less episodic than shoujo tends to be.

That's from what I've seen, anyway. I mostly read shounen manga, shounen-ai, or straight-up yaoi-- shoujo is too sickly-sweet for me.  

tigerstripedmoon

Trash Immortal

protecterofelements

PostPosted: Thu Sep 10, 2009 6:22 am
i personally think that they all intermingle and really don't like to try and sort them out and label them  
PostPosted: Thu Sep 10, 2009 11:47 pm
Not all shounen-ai is shoujo, but I would say a good bit of it is. Shoujo tends to be more plot and personal interaction oriented (not that shounen doesn't have both of those, its just usually not quite as heavy), and shounen-ai tends to be nothing but that from what I've seen.  

Jaaku-san

Angelic Warrior

Kashira Ka04

Liberal Perfectionist

5,900 Points
  • Olympian 200
  • V-Day 2011 Event 100
  • Bunny Spotter 50
PostPosted: Mon Sep 21, 2009 12:15 pm
The lighter stuff, almost definitely.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 21, 2009 12:24 pm
protecterofelements
i personally think that they all intermingle and really don't like to try and sort them out and label them
hear, hear!  

tanuki wolf

protecterofelements

PostPosted: Tue Sep 22, 2009 4:46 am
Jaaku-san
Not all shounen-ai is shoujo, but I would say a good bit of it is. Shoujo tends to be more plot and personal interaction oriented (not that shounen doesn't have both of those, its just usually not quite as heavy), and shounen-ai tends to be nothing but that from what I've seen.

thats a really good way to put it  
PostPosted: Thu Oct 22, 2009 2:45 pm
I don't exactly think it's shoujo every single case. It can be since it's more of a watered down version aimed at younger girls. It probably can be both but I don't think it can be considered something exactly. Genre's for anything can be more than one depending on the content.  

LadyAmms

The Official Shounen Ai/Yaoi Guild

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff