Welcome to Gaia! ::

Pagan Fluffy Rehabilitation Center

Back to Guilds

Educational, Respectful and Responsible Paganism. Don't worry, we'll teach you how. 

Tags: Pagan, Wicca, Paganism, Witchcraft, Witch 

Reply Pagan Fluffy Rehabilitation Center
Otherworld(s)? Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

FlySammyJ

Liberal Dabbler

PostPosted: Mon Sep 07, 2009 2:29 pm
(Topic re-appropriated from another forum)

Good afternoon folks,

What is the otherworld(s)? Can we relate planes of existence mentioned in separate traditions? How does this relate to the land and perception? How do you think the ancestors viewed and interacted with the otherworld(s)? Do we view/interact with it/them differently? How does bodily death relate to such?

Some very generic questions, but hopefully able to arouse some very interesting individualized thoughts, perspectives and metaphors....  
PostPosted: Mon Sep 07, 2009 5:41 pm
demisara

What is the otherworld(s)?
Worlds that are not part of corporeal reality.
Quote:

Can we relate planes of existence mentioned in separate traditions?
I personally do to a certain extent. I usually posit the potential for otherworlds that aren't mentioned in my tradition- but I contextualize the "appropriate" means of getting their within my tradition for those of my tradition. That is to say, I have reason to believe that Asgard and other such places exist- but whereas most Norse pagans I know would essentially used OEBs to travel the Otherworlds, my tradition has prohibitions against such types of travel and I would have to find a way to bridge that cultural gap if I was working with someone within their tradition.
Quote:

How does this relate to the land and perception?
Gardner talked about physical geography existing on the astral plane or some such. My tradition doesn't completely agree with his description, but it has more to do with a schism between our understandings of The Otherworld than anyone being "wrong".
Quote:

How do you think the ancestors viewed and interacted with the otherworld(s)? Do we view/interact with it/them differently? How does bodily death relate to such?
I'm part of a family tradition. My ancestors in most recent memory were the ones who taught me.  

TeaDidikai

Collowrath

PostPosted: Mon Sep 07, 2009 7:58 pm
demisara
What is the otherworld(s)?

A world outside of our own corporeal reality.

Quote:
Can we relate planes of existence mentioned in separate traditions? How does this relate to the land and perception?

Sure. To paraphrase my explanation in my pathways, there are many branches of the Tree, and I don't see why Asgard wouldn't be there just because it doesn't appear in my tradition.

I don't try to fit them into a geography together. That wouldn't necessarily be consistent with my understanding of Otherworlds.

Quote:
How do you think the ancestors viewed and interacted with the otherworld(s)? Do we view/interact with it/them differently? How does bodily death relate to such?

Just as a disclaimer, my Hellenic practice does not factor into this very much.

Otherwise, my tradition is a family one (though I'm the only active, conscious practitioner that is still alive). There is a variety of cultural source material that I draw on, while cultural understandings imparted on me help to give substance. I'm cautious though - my understanding isn't complete and there is an issue of purity here that I am struggling with. sweatdrop  
PostPosted: Tue Sep 08, 2009 7:28 am
Hey Collowrath>> Have you come across "Ancestors as Stars" in your tradition?  

TeaDidikai

Collowrath

PostPosted: Tue Sep 08, 2009 10:50 am
TeaDidikai

Only once, but it was never given any detail. I'm not even quite sure where I've heard of it. Can you give me more detail?  
PostPosted: Fri Sep 11, 2009 10:59 pm
Collowrath
TeaDidikai

Only once, but it was never given any detail. I'm not even quite sure where I've heard of it. Can you give me more detail?
I don't know if it's an accurate understanding- I'm trying to figure out if it is Rroma or not.  

TeaDidikai

Collowrath

PostPosted: Sat Sep 12, 2009 9:26 am
TeaDidikai
Collowrath
TeaDidikai

I don't know if it's an accurate understanding- I'm trying to figure out if it is Rroma or not.

*shrug* Wish I could be of more help. I'll keep an eye out if I see it again and let you know.  
PostPosted: Sat Sep 12, 2009 10:58 am
Collowrath

*shrug* Wish I could be of more help. I'll keep an eye out if I see it again and let you know.
Just wondering. There are a lot of things I am beginning to suspect are missourced in my aunt's explanation. I can't really blame her- she doesn't approach these things from an academic perspective.

There's Familial CPG on the matter, I just was wondering where it's from.  

TeaDidikai

Deoridhe
Crew

Fashionable Fairy

11,650 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Tooth Fairy 100
  • Elocutionist 200
PostPosted: Tue Sep 15, 2009 3:58 pm
I engage in a practice I call Pathwalking, which both allows for external journeying (for example, I often begin at Yggdrasil) as well as walking what might be called the interior landscape of my psyche (which has several reliable places I can go).

This is a self-created practice, influenced by meditation, hypnosis, and Incan practices of visiting the Lower World of that tradition.

There is a historical practice - Seidhr - from my tradition but all but the vaguest references to it have been lost. Singing was involved, and perhaps inhaled or drunk substances. I would like to improve in pathwalking to the extend that I can ask about songs and trust the responses I get.  
PostPosted: Tue Sep 15, 2009 4:05 pm
Deoridhe
Singing was involved, and perhaps inhaled or drunk substances.
Hot cup of elk urine anyone? wink  

TeaDidikai

Deoridhe
Crew

Fashionable Fairy

11,650 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Tooth Fairy 100
  • Elocutionist 200
PostPosted: Tue Sep 15, 2009 4:15 pm
TeaDidikai
Deoridhe
Singing was involved, and perhaps inhaled or drunk substances.
Hot cup of elk urine anyone? wink

EEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEW.

That's more the Sami than the Norse. wink  
PostPosted: Tue Sep 15, 2009 4:19 pm
Every now and then, I feel very much drawn to some type of "Otherworld journeying." I'm not ready for it though, I don't think.  

Collowrath

TeaDidikai

PostPosted: Tue Sep 15, 2009 4:25 pm
Collowrath
Every now and then, I feel very much drawn to some type of "Otherworld journeying." I'm not ready for it though, I don't think.
What material are you working from and how do you plan to go about it? wink

Deo>> I was under the impression that in some contexts, it was the ethnogen at hand.  
PostPosted: Tue Sep 15, 2009 4:28 pm
TeaDidikai
Deo>> I was under the impression that in some contexts, it was the ethnogen at hand.

An ethogen in the hand is worth two in the bush?

I was being a bit obscure. Elk, from what I understand of the Sami culture, are highly valued and spiritually significant. But yes, given the times and the traveling of the Spaewives, I would imagine they became quite skilled at adaptation. My understanding from the lore is that the songs were less variable, though. It is possible the songs determined where people went; the value of words and vocalization is high, culturally speaking.  

Deoridhe
Crew

Fashionable Fairy

11,650 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Tooth Fairy 100
  • Elocutionist 200

Collowrath

PostPosted: Tue Sep 15, 2009 4:34 pm
TeaDidikai
Collowrath
What material are you working from and how do you plan to go about it? wink

Not much, to be honest. I'm not sure where to start (big clue number one that I'm not ready!) - I mostly have Slavic mythology, some basic information on a Serbian trance-ritual, and various accounts of Otherworld practices from a variety of sources.

Nothing to really build practice from that wouldn't amount to stumbling about with my head in a bag. Not to mention the "issue" from my first post here.

xp  
Pagan Fluffy Rehabilitation Center

Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces