Welcome to Gaia! ::

Reply The Gathering: A Highlander Fan Guild
Has anyone noticed a trend in Highlander futures?

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Which Future has your favorite future setting?
  Highlander: THe Quickening?
  Highlander: The Animated Series?
  Highlander: The Search for Vengeance?
View Results

Kratos Krisna

2,800 Points
  • Entrepreneur 150
  • Dressed Up 200
  • Treasure Hunter 100
PostPosted: Tue Sep 01, 2009 4:10 pm
Highlander 2 featured a hole in the ozone, culminating in a monopoly on the means to compensate for it...

Highlander The Animated Series had a setting where a natural disaster that set of the world's nuke arsenal and forced the game to come to a pause...

Highlander: The anime said that Terrorism and Global Warming had reduced the wrold's cities into city-atates ruled by dictators and demagogues...

I see a pattern where every time there's a future told in Highlander, It uses the ecological and/or political anxieties of that time period as their setting for the future.

My question is as follows; What do you think that the next disasterous future should be?  
PostPosted: Wed Sep 02, 2009 3:18 pm
Let's just say that if things continue the way they are, it's going to become impossible for us to hide in plain sight. Making new identities is becoming seriously problematic. We're going to be discovered sooner rather than later.

Unless society fragments again. And that's hardly an outcome to hope for.  

Immortal Methos
Vice Captain

Kratos Krisna

2,800 Points
  • Entrepreneur 150
  • Dressed Up 200
  • Treasure Hunter 100
PostPosted: Wed Sep 02, 2009 9:56 pm
Immortal Methos
Let's just say that if things continue the way they are, it's going to become impossible for us to hide in plain sight. Making new identities is becoming seriously problematic. We're going to be discovered sooner rather than later.

Unless society fragments again. And that's hardly an outcome to hope for.
Especially when you consider that humanity has not been so connected before. Speaking of which, if you put fertilizer compounds in the hu8ll of an airplane, had sod instead of carpetting, and had a SHinto priestess blessing each flight, could you produce portable Holy Ground? Portable ground, blessed and used for prayer and enlightenment?  
PostPosted: Thu Sep 03, 2009 2:39 pm
I doubt it. Holy Ground probably has much to do with lay lines and a connection to hallowed places, regardless of religion or how often it is currently prayed in. Such a plane would be an artificial "holy" space, and might be very easily defiled by an outside source.

Of course, this is just speculation on my part. I've never been able to create a holy space that wasn't previously such. (And I've tried!)  

Immortal Methos
Vice Captain

The Gathering: A Highlander Fan Guild

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces