Welcome to Gaia! ::

Pagan Fluffy Rehabilitation Center

Back to Guilds

Educational, Respectful and Responsible Paganism. Don't worry, we'll teach you how. 

Tags: Pagan, Wicca, Paganism, Witchcraft, Witch 

Reply Pagan Fluffy Rehabilitation Center
I'm Confused Goto Page: 1 2 3 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

gothgirlkk

Interesting Bloodsucker

PostPosted: Sun Aug 30, 2009 7:55 pm
I have to been confused on what I can tell people about what I believe in. I believe in Christian believes and Wicca believes.  
PostPosted: Sun Aug 30, 2009 8:00 pm
the first thing you might want to know is that there is a vast misconception of what Wicca actually is. The the actual fertility focused Wicca is fairly incompatible with Christianity i would imagine. What you probably are referring to is eclectic neo-paganism.  

Adalyna

Nines19

PostPosted: Sun Aug 30, 2009 8:04 pm
Asahi Sara
the first thing you might want to know is that there is a vast misconception of what Wicca actually is. The the actual fertility focused Wicca is fairly incompatible with Christianity i would imagine. What you probably are referring to is eclectic neo-paganism.

This.

Also, it would probably help us if you listed your beliefs and how you feel each one fits under the "Christian" or "neo-pagan" classifications.  
PostPosted: Sun Aug 30, 2009 8:18 pm
Ok I believe in GOD but I also believe that there are other GOD's and GODDESS. So like I asked how can I tell people that I believe in Christian believes and Wicca believes.  

gothgirlkk

Interesting Bloodsucker

Nines19

PostPosted: Sun Aug 30, 2009 8:22 pm
gothgirlkk
Ok I believe in GOD but I also believe that there are other GOD's and GODDESS. So like I asked how can I tell people that I believe in Christian believes and Wicca believes.

Okay. Neither one of those has much to do with either Christianity or Wicca without a lot of specifics. Mind giving us those, please?

At first specs, I'd say you can't really believe in both Christian and "Wiccan" beliefs at the same time. They're pretty mutually exclusive faiths, to my knowledge.  
PostPosted: Sun Aug 30, 2009 8:22 pm
gothgirlkk

Hard polytheist Christian?

At least that's what it sounds like to me. Then again, I could be wrong.

Anyways, Your answer still doesn't really answer the questions asked.

Namikikyo

Collowrath

PostPosted: Sun Aug 30, 2009 8:24 pm
Namikikyo
gothgirlkk

Or just Christian. *shrug* Leave the details to their imagination.  
PostPosted: Sun Aug 30, 2009 8:26 pm
Belief in God though does not distinguish one as a Christian though. Jews believe in God, Muslims believe in God. Now monolateralism, (belief in multiple gods but view only one god worthy of worship) is not explicitly prohibited in Christianity.

Edit: A Soporific and Aneal are two mainstream Christians that have this view. Though some denominations of Christianity have issues with this and see this view as a sin.  

rmcdra

Loved Seeker

11,700 Points
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Partygoer 500
  • Contributor 150

Gho the Girl

PostPosted: Sun Aug 30, 2009 8:27 pm
Wicca and Christianity are incompatible.

Wicca, from my own impressions, (flawed though they may be) is a very self-focused religion. The threefold law, for instance, means one does good things because one wants to get good returns.

In Christianity, we must look beyond ourselves, we don't do things for rewards, (some may disagree, but I don't do this for personal gain) we do this because by being concerned with others, I become closer to God.  
PostPosted: Sun Aug 30, 2009 8:31 pm
Collowrath
Namikikyo
gothgirlkk

Or just Christian. *shrug* Leave the details to their imagination.

Eh, Just throwing some terms out there that might narrow down the field in the way that she described it. And to tell you the truth, I thought it sounded nice.

Namikikyo

gothgirlkk

Interesting Bloodsucker

PostPosted: Sun Aug 30, 2009 8:48 pm
Ok now I'm confused myself, so it might be best if I just think more about things.  
PostPosted: Mon Aug 31, 2009 3:35 am
a bit of research, well checked research especially, can do wonders for your thinking. It takes time though, believe me, I know :  

Adalyna

River_Moonwolf

PostPosted: Tue Sep 01, 2009 3:35 pm
Gho the Girl
Wicca and Christianity are incompatible.

Wicca, from my own impressions, (flawed though they may be) is a very self-focused religion. The threefold law, for instance, means one does good things because one wants to get good returns.

In Christianity, we must look beyond ourselves, we don't do things for rewards, (some may disagree, but I don't do this for personal gain) we do this because by being concerned with others, I become closer to God.

Oooh...me like challenges lol. The three-fold law, for those of us who actually believe it, does not state that we do good for good returns. That philosophy, in and of itself, defeats the whole purpose of doing good. The law rather is meant more to discourage the negative. Do a wrong, it's going to back to you three times as worse. Not always, mind, as Lady Fate does sometimes play her little tricks, but generally, it's something to be mindful of.

Does this mean that we should only do good in expectations of getting three-fold back? Perish the thought. If I help someone, it's not out of a sense of greed and expectation. Not meaning to offend, but Christianity has no monopoly on doing good works. In many paths, 'looking beyond oneself' is part of the whole point, the inter-connectedness of everyone and everything. To claim otherwise is, well, plain wrong.

I apolgize for any feelings or toes I may have stepped on.

Blessed Be,

RM  
PostPosted: Wed Sep 02, 2009 6:42 pm
rmcdra
A Soporific and Aneal are two mainstream Christians that have this view. Though some denominations of Christianity have issues with this and see this view as a sin.
Didn't know about Sopo... and the other name is Ananel. And how mainstream Ananel could be considered is up for debate.

River_Moonwolf
Oooh...me like challenges lol.
Good. I shall issue one.
Quote:

The three-fold law, for those of us who actually believe it, does not state that we do good for good returns. That philosophy, in and of itself, defeats the whole purpose of doing good.
Bullshit. Demonstrate that the purpose of doing good excludes it's return from a theological, moral or humanistic perspective.
Quote:

The law rather is meant more to discourage the negative.
Also bullshit. Demonstrate that it is prohibited to do "negative" things when one is called to do so within one's position.

Quote:
Do a wrong, it's going to back to you three times as worse.
Demonstrate that negative and wrong are the same thing. Then show why it is unfathomable for someone who is willing to live with those consequences.

Quote:

Not always, mind, as Lady Fate does sometimes play her little tricks, but generally, it's something to be mindful of.
I find this more than a little disrespectful and very distasteful. Why would you demean any Lady, however you view her, by passing off her will as "little tricks"?

Quote:
Does this mean that we should only do good in expectations of getting three-fold back? Perish the thought. If I help someone, it's not out of a sense of greed and expectation.
What makes you think your personal thoughts are objectively applied to everyone who believes in the Threefold Law?

Quote:

I apolgize for any feelings or toes I may have stepped on.
I'm less worried about my toes and more insulted by your thoughtlessness.
Quote:
Blessed Be,
Your blessings are not welcomed. Stop bastardizing other people's faiths in order to make yourself sound "cool". You're decontextualizing it and insulting the rest of us.  

TeaDidikai

River_Moonwolf

PostPosted: Thu Sep 03, 2009 10:09 pm
Hello. I apologize if my earlier statement offended, truly I do. I shall now, point by point, respond. Again, I mean no disrespect, please call me out if I do.

"Bullshit. Demonstrate that the purpose of doing good excludes it's return from a theological, oral or humanistic perspective."

I never meant to imply that doing good precludes a return. I simply meant, and perhaps could have better stated, that implied goal of doing good is doing good for it's own sake. Of course as humans it's perfectly natural to want a reward for doing "the right thing", but it's always been my (perhaps mistaken) belief that whatever laws various religions have handed down have been intended as guideposts to perfecting the human condition.

"Also bullshit. Demonstrate that it is prohibited to do "negative" things when one is called to do so within one's position."

My statement was made under the assumption that the law, and others like it, were meant to discourage performing negative acts for their own sake. Obviously, as an example, if one's safety is jeopardized, it is perfectly reasonable, nay expected to defend oneself to the fullest. I merely meant that creating chaos, as an example, for it's own sake was prohibited.

"Demonstrate that negative and wrong are the same thing. Then show why it is unfathomable for someone who is willing to live with those consequences."

In many cases, not all, 'negative' can indeed be equated with 'wrong'. Part of the problem is that the definitions can vary by individual. Of course, there are some things that can universally considered 'wrong.' In my haste, I blended the two concepts. I was speaking in generalities, I should have been more specific, and I apologize. And of course, one can choose to live with any consequences, provided one feels they are worth it. If one were to attack my new nephew, for instance, I'm fairly certain I could live with the consequences of y possibly causing them great physical harm. (Not that I' violent - I am merely protective of my family.)

"I find this more than a little disrespectful and very distasteful. Why would you demean any Lady, however you view her, by passing off her will as "little tricks"?"

I apologize. No acceptable answer, save that after 10+ years, as well as haste to make a point, it seems I still have some Fluffy stupidity to work through. I beg the forgiveness of the guild, and you in particular. I truly meant no offense.

"What makes you think your personal thoughts are objectively applied to everyone who believes in the Threefold Law?"

I was merely speaking of an ideal - never meaning to imply a judgmental stance. While I do have a few years under my belt, I like to think of myself young enough to still hope for an idealized world. Obviously my views are not shared by everyone. I can only speak from the framework of my own experiences. Again, no offense was meant.

""I'm less worried about my toes and more insulted by your thoughtlessness."

Again, I beg forgiveness. My own path is one that abhors insulting and demeaning, no matter how stupid I may sound. I (obviously) suffer from a case of 'foot-in-mouth' disease, and while I cannot always promise perfect consideration, I do ask for it to be pointed out to e so I may correct myself and, if possible, mend fences.

"Your blessings are not welcomed. Stop bastardizing other people's faiths in order to make yourself sound "cool". You're decontextualizing it and insulting the rest of us."

I meant no insult or disrespect. My own personal path is one that wishes blessings for all, regardless of friendship, or even if I personally agree with them. For over ten years, since I started my journey, I have used that as my own traditional farewell - not as a bastardization, simply because when I first discovered it, it summed up my own feelings, beliefs and ultimate goals perfectly. I do not do it to "sound cool". Even in school, I refused to do things merely for appearance's sake.

Again, I was merely trying to answer the question in the thread. I did not mean to insult, demean or offend. This, more than anything else, truly and deeply troubles me. If my closing offends, I shall not do it here. If my ignorance engenders a censure from this guild, I accept it. As I have implied, I am still learning. Circumstances have kept me pretty solitary, so much of what I have gleaned have been from books, online sources, and simple trial and error. Again, please forgive me.

River Moonwolf  
Pagan Fluffy Rehabilitation Center

Goto Page: 1 2 3 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces