Welcome to Gaia! ::

Pagan Fluffy Rehabilitation Center

Back to Guilds

Educational, Respectful and Responsible Paganism. Don't worry, we'll teach you how. 

Tags: Pagan, Wicca, Paganism, Witchcraft, Witch 

Reply Pagan Fluffy Rehabilitation Center
Haiku?

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Nines19

PostPosted: Fri Aug 28, 2009 10:45 am
In another forum I belong to, someone decided it would be fun to make a thread inviting others to create and post haiku based on the subject matter that the forum revolves around (a certain band).
I and many others joined in and it was a pretty cool time seeing what everyone came up with while relying on the 5-7-5 syllable restrictions.

However, someone posted that creating and displaying haiku in such a manner was making a joke out of "serious and spiritual things" and that one must be properly trained in writing poetry to write haiku.
I am led to believe that they believe that doing otherwise is some kind of culture rape by what they have said, and I'm wondering if anyone here has heard of haiku or any other writing or poetry style being exclusive to the culture it came from and/or professionals of writing.

This is the first I'm hearing of such a thing, and I want to solidify my knowledge on the subject to avoid committing justified offense in the future and/or to avoid feeling guilty for something someone takes unjustified offense to.  
PostPosted: Fri Aug 28, 2009 2:10 pm
ninja I was only thinking the exact same thing three of the day's this week!

I have from time to time used Haiku in the ineffable experiences thread as have a few others too!

From what I recall of my education years, the concept of the Haiku was brought to English in the 18th Century as a poetic and artistic expression that the Japanese did not seem to have any difficulty with because the only thing that was 'taken', was the concept of the syllables. Other contrivances that make up the traditional prose of what has become known as Haiku are not present. The mode of writing is also different.

That's as little an understanding I have, vague as it is, but regardless

Oh how I do Love,
The writing of the Haiku.
Breezes through the mind.

biggrin  

scorplett

Blessed Regular

6,600 Points
  • Popular Thread 100
  • Conversationalist 100
  • Forum Sophomore 300

kage no neko

Invisible Phantom

8,500 Points
  • Bunny Spotter 50
  • Bunny Hunter 100
  • Bunny Hoarder 150
PostPosted: Fri Aug 28, 2009 2:48 pm
I've never heard of such a thing. I mean, they teach it as one of the poem styles in english classes. I figure somewhere along the line of even doing english research I'd have heard of something like that.
I know it started out in Japan, but I wouldn't think it'd be restricted to only them.
I don't even see how haiku would be spiritual, nor serious. Many of the poems are about nature, which can be quite silly at times.  
PostPosted: Fri Aug 28, 2009 3:09 pm
scorplett
From what I recall of my education years, the concept of the Haiku was brought to English in the 18th Century as a poetic and artistic expression that the Japanese did not seem to have any difficulty with because the only thing that was 'taken', was the concept of the syllables. Other contrivances that make up the traditional prose of what has become known as Haiku are not present. The mode of writing is also different.

kage no neko
I've never heard of such a thing. I mean, they teach it as one of the poem styles in english classes. I figure somewhere along the line of even doing english research I'd have heard of something like that.
I know it started out in Japan, but I wouldn't think it'd be restricted to only them.

This has been my understanding of it as well.

I don't know, maybe I should ask the person why they feel that way?
On the one hand there's, "This is what I and others was always taught," which you guys reaffirm, but on the other, my brain is going, "But that might have been just your western, Eurocentric culture putting that sense of privilege in your head." And I don't know which one to trust. stressed

I'm questioning everything I've been taught about other cultures a lot lately.  

Nines19

ColetteCatastrophe

PostPosted: Fri Aug 28, 2009 5:59 pm
Nines19
This has been my understanding of it as well.

I don't know, maybe I should ask the person why they feel that way?
On the one hand there's, "This is what I and others was always taught," which you guys reaffirm, but on the other, my brain is going, "But that might have been just your western, Eurocentric culture putting that sense of privilege in your head." And I don't know which one to trust. stressed

I'm questioning everything I've been taught about other cultures a lot lately.

Personally I would ask why they felt that way 3nodding
and if it is exclusive then why teach it in English? It just doesn't make sense.  
PostPosted: Fri Aug 28, 2009 6:31 pm
Haiku is easy
Remember to end you poems
with just five syllab

Haikus are easy
But sometimes they make no sense
Refrigerator

I've haiku'd before in the ineffable experiences thread, I found the process to be therapeutic, though I can't take credit for either of the ones I opened with.

Looking for Haikus?
Find them on the internet
Or in haiku books

Haiku has one i
Remember this CuAnnan
You silly idiot*

*Before anyone corrects me on this, be warned, it conforms to the 5-7-5
Idiot is often pronounced "eejit" in Hiberno Irish.  

CuAnnan

Dapper Genius

5,875 Points
  • Person of Interest 200
  • Autobiographer 200
  • Dressed Up 200

Kuroiban

Dapper Explorer

2,450 Points
  • Treasure Hunter 100
  • Statustician 100
  • Member 100
PostPosted: Fri Aug 28, 2009 8:06 pm
Look upon a path
Asatru, The Northern Way
Um, need to learn more...

mrgreen  
PostPosted: Fri Aug 28, 2009 9:13 pm
Hey that is not haiku.
You are just counting syllables.
Stop that this instant!  

Ferine Coyote

Dangerous Loiterer

TheDisreputableDog

PostPosted: Sat Aug 29, 2009 8:28 am
English haiku are almost completely different than Japanese haiku. Even to the point where some English classes I've been through scrap the syllable constrictions and just say it's a really short poem that conveys a particular image.

The number of syllables is only a small part of the form in Japanese. As I learned it, there are other patterns such as seasonal markers, tone, pitch, rhythm, particular metaphors... Things that of course do happen in English poetry, but aren't generally a concern in English haiku.

kage no neko
I don't even see how haiku would be spiritual, nor serious. Many of the poems are about nature, which can be quite silly at times.
You not seeing how haiku could be spiritual or serious doesn't mean they never are.  
PostPosted: Sun Aug 30, 2009 9:17 pm
Writing haiku
Is meant to be serious
A dog pee'd on me!  

River_Moonwolf

kage no neko

Invisible Phantom

8,500 Points
  • Bunny Spotter 50
  • Bunny Hunter 100
  • Bunny Hoarder 150
PostPosted: Sun Aug 30, 2009 10:38 pm
TheDisreputableDog
kage no neko
You not seeing how haiku could be spiritual or serious doesn't mean they never are.

I never said they never are, I was meaning that not all of them are so I don't understand why someone would say that as though it applies to them all..

Anyway, my favorite haiku:
Writing a poem
with seventeen syllables
is very diffi- 3nodding

PostPosted: Mon Aug 31, 2009 5:57 pm
A summer wind blows
through the windows of my house
he rests in shadows.  

River_Moonwolf

CuAnnan

Dapper Genius

5,875 Points