Welcome to Gaia! ::

Gaian Art Mentors

Back to Guilds

Where artists are paired in a mentor/mentee fashion to share their knowledge. 

Tags: artists, mentor, mentee, learning, drawing 

Reply Gaian Art Mentors
Your favorite/admired artists? Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

ahiru_chan

PostPosted: Thu Aug 27, 2009 3:25 am
I know we all have artists we look up to! For me, these artists make me want to improve and maybe one day be as good as them. So who are your favorite artists and how do they affect you?

oh and I have too many artists that I admire to list but mostly they are the awesome possum ones on gaia =D  
PostPosted: Thu Aug 27, 2009 4:57 am
I enjoy some of the classics, like Michaelagelo, Boticelli, and some of Picasso's. Some of my up-to-date artists are the comics of Michael Turner and some of the artists from Marval, DC, and so on.  

Otome Picasso

5,500 Points
  • Peoplewatcher 100
  • V-Day 2011 Event 100
  • Person of Interest 200

x Varda x

PostPosted: Thu Aug 27, 2009 11:12 am
As far as the classics are concerned, I like Salvador Dali. I admit it. wink  
PostPosted: Thu Aug 27, 2009 2:03 pm
Classic artists, I'm going to have to say van Gogh. Starry Night in particular. Dali is pretty trippy, too. xD

For more modern artists, a couple of my favorites are Ciruelo Cabral and Bleu Turrell; both for their art of dragons. <3

Even more modern and still changing, are artists on dA. For favorites, I almost have too many to list, but Caramitten, Drachenmagier, and Maggock are a few. x3 For folks I admire, Iron-Gibbet for his awesome comic that he hopes to turn into a comic book soon; my friend Zimeta08 for pushing for originality instead of fanart; and my best friend MsPheonix for her outgoing attitude. x3  

Eizoryu

Nathaniel Mea

Desirable Lunatic

9,350 Points
  • Forum Regular 100
  • Megathread 100
  • Mark Twain 100
PostPosted: Sat Aug 29, 2009 9:28 am
Wendy Pini has had major impacts on my life as an artist as well as John Bauer and Alphonse Mucha. I've also always been fascinated by Roman and Greek statues and architecture. As well as bronze age and iron age/viking art and designs. It comes from a deep love of history and the wish to understand the lives they lived. I guess it shows in the way I focus most of my work on a fantasy or historical level.

I find having your inspirations from many many REAL sources can help when creating a world of your own.

I do also love work from artist like Albrecht Dürer, whose amazing wood cut work always made me drool as a kid.  
PostPosted: Fri Sep 04, 2009 12:08 am
i'm gonna have to say jim lee the comic book artist. not to say i'm not into other contemporary artists or some of the classics ones but he was the very 1st artist that truly amazed me, and the fact that he still amazes me today. his work and advice the one time we met, has basically made the artist i am today.  

Folken_Schezar
Crew

jm203

PostPosted: Sun Sep 20, 2009 2:15 am
im just 15 i'd say i just started to understand classic art but it's awesome nonetheless. right now i love diff kinds of manga =]  
PostPosted: Sun Sep 20, 2009 7:54 pm
My Fav artists are : Dale Chihuly for glass James Jean, Stephan Balleux and Chris Mars for Painting Ray Ceasar for graphics Jason Mercer for sculpture

There are heaps more...but I like these guys the most.  

MissPartyPants

The Titanium Spork

PostPosted: Sun Sep 20, 2009 10:18 pm
Michelangelo, Audrey Kawasaki, and Twelfth.

(Huge jumps between them, but that's just who my faves are right now.)  
PostPosted: Sun Sep 27, 2009 8:58 pm
I LUV Arina Tanemura! I want to draw as great or even better than her!  

nightmusicluvr

~FergiGirl~

PostPosted: Tue Sep 29, 2009 9:47 am
I adore Scott McCloud X3. His style is simple but he seems to always be experimenting, looking for new ways to present his work. That, and I believe his books on comics are a must for anyone who wants to do their own comic or just simply loves comics as an art form. (I haven't read Reinventing Comics, the second in the series, but I own the other two, Understanding and Making comics; the book Understanding Comics is old as me now, but is still a valuable and entertaining read)
As for style, I adore Sandara, Hellobaby, and many, many others on Deviantart. heart  
PostPosted: Tue Sep 29, 2009 7:48 pm
There's been a lot of inspiration art-wise through my life. A lot of the Renaissance artists I enjoy looking back on, though I think the digital age has brought some fantastic things forth as well. I was mesmerized by the ever small but effective art in Warcraft II and Ultima VII, as well as many of the SNES video games.

The classical styles a lot of the Wizards of the Coast-employed artists (and general Dungeons and Dragons world) also had me enamored, as well as the art that often graced White Wolf books.

For more recent artists, Linda Berakvist is one that always comes to mind. She must have amazing patience to digitally work with art of her scale, and render it so skillfully at that. There's about a million on ImagineFX that I oggle regularly, as well as Deviant Art and here.  

the Caelos

Leadfooted Phantom

Sazarac

PostPosted: Fri Oct 02, 2009 10:40 pm
William Holman Hunt.
wow.

And Lawrence Alma-Tadema.
I am in awe. eek

Sazarac...resurrector of old posts.. mrgreen  
PostPosted: Sun Oct 25, 2009 11:23 pm
Lan Wu is awesome.

Loveprince 008

Romantic Bloodsucker

Doomdagger

PostPosted: Mon Oct 26, 2009 11:00 am

For a number of years I had always looked up to
Samwise Diddier
Also one of the original sketch artists for the company Bliizard Entertainment...
Since Warcraft I
Warcraft II
Diablo
StarCraft

You name it, he was there ^___^

Gaian Art Mentors

Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items