Welcome to Gaia! ::

Pagan Fluffy Rehabilitation Center

Back to Guilds

Educational, Respectful and Responsible Paganism. Don't worry, we'll teach you how. 

Tags: Pagan, Wicca, Paganism, Witchcraft, Witch 

Reply Pagan Fluffy Rehabilitation Center
Openness about your beliefs Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Synnthetika

5,400 Points
  • Contributor 150
  • Dressed Up 200
  • Forum Regular 100
PostPosted: Wed Aug 26, 2009 6:12 pm
How much are you willing to share about your: personal beliefs, traditions, culture, religion with family?

How much are you willing to share in a learning environment such as a classroom?

How much are willing to share with strangers or acquaintances?  
PostPosted: Wed Aug 26, 2009 6:45 pm
Synnthetika
How much are you willing to share about your: personal beliefs, traditions, culture, religion with family?
My family participates in it, so 100%.
Quote:

How much are you willing to share in a learning environment such as a classroom?
Cultural understandings, usually the simple stuff that can be covered without misunderstandings in about an hour.

Anything beyond that and you start working your way into things that need to build upon other understandings.

Quote:
Depends on the stranger or acquaintance in question and the situation.  

TeaDidikai

Violet Song jat Shariff
Crew

Resilient Raider

7,200 Points
  • Tycoon 200
  • Citizen 200
  • Gaian 50
PostPosted: Wed Aug 26, 2009 6:46 pm
Synnthetika

Depends on the family member.
If it's my mother or brother, not very.
If it is my fiance and someone in his immediate family, I'm willing to be pretty open about things.

Quote:

I would say I'd be willing to talk about basics of the faith only; nothing too personal such as experiences and some UPG.

Quote:

I think it would depend on why they were asking me. Might be anywhere from just telling them the basics of the faith to "Get the ******** away from me."  
PostPosted: Wed Aug 26, 2009 6:47 pm
1) I prefer not to get into it with family. My parent tends to drift off into talks about aliens and avoids discussion of religion, *morality, and the like.* and my sibling views anything not in accordance with e's belief to be incredibly idiotic and, while more than willing to 'discuss', is relentless, narrow-minded, and condescending. So...yeah.

2) I'm pretty open in such an environment.

3) Err...everything.

'Course, I might not be your target audience.

*...* <- EDIT  

Aino Ailill

Synnthetika

5,400 Points
  • Contributor 150
  • Dressed Up 200
  • Forum Regular 100
PostPosted: Wed Aug 26, 2009 7:07 pm
Aino Ailill
1) I prefer not to get into it with family. My parent tends to drift off into talks about aliens and avoids discussion of religion and my sibling views anything not in accordance with e's belief to be incredibly idiotic and, while more than willing to 'discuss', is relentless, narrow-minded, and condescending. So...yeah.

3) Err...everything.

What might exclude you from being "my" target audience? I don't understand what you mean.  
PostPosted: Wed Aug 26, 2009 7:19 pm
Synnthetika
Aino Ailill
1) I prefer not to get into it with family. My parent tends to drift off into talks about aliens and avoids discussion of religion and my sibling views anything not in accordance with e's belief to be incredibly idiotic and, while more than willing to 'discuss', is relentless, narrow-minded, and condescending. So...yeah.

3) Err...everything.

What might exclude you from being "my" target audience? I don't understand what you mean.

I'm an irreligious agnostic atheist who dismisses concepts of such as spirits and other commonly termed 'supernatural' phenomenon/beings. I am not without beliefs, such as with morality, human nature, etc. and so I was not certain whether my input was appropriate. It would depend on what you meant with 'beliefs.'  

Aino Ailill

Namikikyo

PostPosted: Wed Aug 26, 2009 7:39 pm
Quote:

Not very much at all. My family has a habit of making people feel stupid for any religious belief and my Step-Father likes to twist what say into something out of a hollywood horror film.

They know enough, Though I mostly tell my siblings more then my parents.

Quote:

It would depend on the people in the environment. Though if in the right place, I would talk about the basics and simple facts. Nothing personal unless called for.

Quote:

Depends on the person entirely.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 26, 2009 7:59 pm
Synnthetika

I will generally answer what is asked, but offer little.  

Fiddlers Green

IH_Zero

PostPosted: Wed Aug 26, 2009 9:35 pm
I generally don't talk about religion off of the internet, but that's more because I'm a rather private person. I'll answer general questions, but that's about it.

I don't discuss it with guests in the house at all, as one of our house rules is no discussion of religion or politics with extended guests. Bad, bad experiences with shouting fights there. Elsewhere it's fine to discuss it, though.  
PostPosted: Wed Aug 26, 2009 10:06 pm
id say i am moderatly open. i have told my mom and some of my close friends.but i dont go blurting it out to everyone.  

Doc Dillamond

whiporwill-o

PostPosted: Thu Aug 27, 2009 1:28 am
Aino Ailill

I'm an irreligious agnostic atheist who dismisses concepts of such as spirits and other commonly termed 'supernatural' phenomenon/beings. I am not without beliefs, such as with morality, human nature, etc. and so I was not certain whether my input was appropriate. It would depend on what you meant with 'beliefs.'

isnt an agnostic atheist kind of an oxymoron?

agnostics, correct me if i am wrong, believe that there may or may not be a higher power, but is like 'eh, whatever' either way, where as an atheist believes that there is no god, never was and never will be. so how can you be both?  
PostPosted: Thu Aug 27, 2009 1:32 am
Synnthetika

nothing with anyone but my mom, and even then it's very limited.

as much as i can confidently tell them.

depends on how the person in question approaches me.  

whiporwill-o

rmcdra

Loved Seeker

11,700 Points
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Partygoer 500
  • Contributor 150
PostPosted: Thu Aug 27, 2009 2:29 am
whiporwill-o
Aino Ailill

isnt an agnostic atheist kind of an oxymoron?

agnostics, correct me if i am wrong, believe that there may or may not be a higher power, but is like 'eh, whatever' either way, where as an atheist believes that there is no god, never was and never will be. so how can you be both?
No "agnostic" is a knowledge claim where as "atheist" is a belief claim.
An agnostic atheist does not know if god/s exist or not but does not believe that such beings exist.  
PostPosted: Thu Aug 27, 2009 5:01 am
Synnthetika

My parents and siblings know nothing, they still think I'm a non-practicing christian. My husband knows and is behind me 100%. His parents know a little, but I maintain a Don't ask Don't tell policy. If they don't ask me I don't offer up the information.

Depends on what is being taught. If it was a religions class then no problem. But science, nope that's no ones bussiness.

Depends entirely on the person in question.  

Shearaha

Aged Hunter

TheDisreputableDog

PostPosted: Thu Aug 27, 2009 9:38 am
I talk about religion with my brother a lot. I talk with my mom about her religion (UU/Buddhist/other stuff) but not so much about the parts of mine that aren't UU. I've mentioned group generic pagan rituals since I started participating in them in high school, but that's more of a social thing than a religious thing for me. The one time I started to go more in depth, my mom said something about how I was NOT changing my religion, I was staying a Unitarian and that was final, and didn't want to hear any more (regardless of the fact that I am still a Unitarian). Religion doesn't generally come up in conversations with my dad, we talk about other things. In some ways it's very weird to talk about praying, offerings, experiences with gods because UU has almost zero framework for these things. Lighting candles my parents understand; UUs light a lot of candles. xd But beyond that...I feel uncomfortable sharing my experiences with God. My partner has shared her beliefs with me on a few occasions, and when we were first getting together made a joke about how she seems to fall for pagans, and she's also a part of our generic pagan circle, but I haven't really shared much about my personal path for some reason.

As for learning environment...do you mean as a student or as a teacher? When I took Philosophy 100 a few years ago we basically spent the entire time learning various arguments for whether God existed or not; we weren't really encouraged to share our personal beliefs so we could focus on the philosophers we were studying, but I spent some time reminding people that these were chiefly Christian and Deist arguments about a particular kind of god. It doesn't generally come up in other classes. I'll be taking a class on African Traditional Religions this semester though, so we'll see what happens with that.

As for strangers, I'm more likely to say I'm UU than anything else when pressed, unless it's a specifically pagan environment, because I don't usually feel like going into the whole thing. I have some friends I discuss religion with often; most of them are seekers in some sense so we can toss various ideas back and forth.  
Pagan Fluffy Rehabilitation Center

Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff