Welcome to Gaia! ::

Pagan Fluffy Rehabilitation Center

Back to Guilds

Educational, Respectful and Responsible Paganism. Don't worry, we'll teach you how. 

Tags: Pagan, Wicca, Paganism, Witchcraft, Witch 

Reply Pagan Fluffy Rehabilitation Center
What do you think of this web site?

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Yes or No?
  Yes
  No
View Results

emmfullness

5,650 Points
  • Profitable 100
  • Full closet 200
  • Forum Junior 100
PostPosted: Fri Nov 25, 2005 9:48 am
I've been using this website as my most accessable source of information. What do you think of it? Is it a good source?

http://www.sacred-texts.com/index.htm

Specifically these sections:

http://www.sacred-texts.com/bos/index.htm

http://www.sacred-texts.com/pag/index.htm  
PostPosted: Fri Nov 25, 2005 12:02 pm
Any one?? confused  

emmfullness

5,650 Points
  • Profitable 100
  • Full closet 200
  • Forum Junior 100

Deoridhe
Crew

Fashionable Fairy

11,650 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Tooth Fairy 100
  • Elocutionist 200
PostPosted: Fri Nov 25, 2005 1:29 pm
Sacred-Texts are primary sources and translations of primary sources, so the validity and usefulness of the material depends on who wrote it, who translated it, and where it came from.

What are your source standards, religiously?  
PostPosted: Fri Nov 25, 2005 3:32 pm
Deoridhe
Sacred-Texts are primary sources and translations of primary sources, so the validity and usefulness of the material depends on who wrote it, who translated it, and where it came from.

What are your source standards, religiously?
Yeah. I don't trust things that are interpreted by other people, so if it's a translation, I don't really rely on it. However, most the stuff on that site is originally written in English, so that's a plus. From there, I like to make sure that the author has some sort of credibility on the subject and that I can find the same information from other sources as or more credible. Thank the Goddess I took a lot of writing classes in high school and learned how to basically judge a source. However, I still like to see what others more knowledgeable in Paganism would think of the sources on this site. I'm afraid I have a tendancy to be ridiculously cautious. sweatdrop  

emmfullness

5,650 Points
  • Profitable 100
  • Full closet 200
  • Forum Junior 100

MST3Kakalina

PostPosted: Sat Nov 26, 2005 5:56 am
i wouldn't put much stock in the book of shadows part, since that seems to be submissions by any joe pagan out there.

but the other page is pretty much fine. all the books look like older sources, written before it was omg teh cool to be pagan. that doesn't mean they're necessarily GOOD for accuracy's sake (here i'm looking at Margaret Murray), but they're generally read just for a background in the original attitudes behind Wicca and the like.  
PostPosted: Sat Nov 26, 2005 11:34 am
The interesting thing about neo-paganism is that unless you're looking for information about old religions (such as who practiced what in the 10th century, etc) or reconstructionist religions (or mystery religions) pretty much anyone can be considered "accurate". Opinions are just that, opinions. If I think that water is blue and you think it's aqua, well, we can be both right, can't we? Or if I think that winter is a season associated with the element of air and you think that it's associated with the element of water, who's to arbitrarily decided what's right and wrong? We all need to go with our gut instincts on these things.  

SlaineWildfire

5,650 Points
  • Tycoon 200
  • Signature Look 250

emmfullness

5,650 Points
  • Profitable 100
  • Full closet 200
  • Forum Junior 100
PostPosted: Sun Nov 27, 2005 10:23 am
SlaineWildfire
The interesting thing about neo-paganism is that unless you're looking for information about old religions (such as who practiced what in the 10th century, etc) or reconstructionist religions (or mystery religions) pretty much anyone can be considered "accurate". Opinions are just that, opinions. If I think that water is blue and you think it's aqua, well, we can be both right, can't we? Or if I think that winter is a season associated with the element of air and you think that it's associated with the element of water, who's to arbitrarily decided what's right and wrong? We all need to go with our gut instincts on these things.
eek I didn't think of that. Good point. Paganism is so much harder than Christianity. Probably because it requires you to think for yourself....(not to be bashing Christianity. I'm sure if you did Christianity right you'd have to think for yourself, but, in my previous experience, it was a lot of doing what you were told.)  
PostPosted: Sun Nov 27, 2005 10:05 pm
Actually, this site is just hosting the compliation created by a group called "Riders of the Crystal Wind." Ages ago a bunch of people on a BBS system collected all their articles and stories together and called it a BOS. It does have some good articles and a huge number of people have used it as a base for their own BOS.  

atepah

Wheezing Reveler

6,750 Points
  • Partygoer 500
  • Somebody Likes You 100
  • Bunny Hoarder 150
Pagan Fluffy Rehabilitation Center

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items