Welcome to Gaia! ::

Guild of Vegans and Vegetarians

Back to Guilds

Join vegetarians and supporters for discussion on health, cooking, and ethical issues! 

Tags: Food, Vegan, Vegetarian, Animal, Cooking 

Reply Guild of Vegans and Vegetarians
I saved a baby mouse today! :D

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Sazzie Lotus Song

PostPosted: Fri Aug 21, 2009 5:49 pm
Dear Veg*ns,
It turns out I found a tiny baby mouse the size of a grape while I was just finishing my run.
I found him/her around the firehouse while a big thunder storm was coming. I could tell his/her eyes just opened up and his/her mom must have abandoned him/her because there was literally no other mouse around the area.
I walked home, which isn't too far away, with him/her in my hands. I gave him a tuberware box with a soft basket inside it and filled it with newspaper shavings I made, a bowl for food, and a squirty thingy shaped like a fish and filled it with water.
I am going to Petco tomorrow to buy a critter trail cage, a critter ball, shavings, food and treats. (The cage includes a tunnel, a bowl, a water bottle, a wheel, and a few extra habitats.) I am also getting that free cardboard carrier incase I need to bring him/her to the vet's before he/she grows up and I have to let him/her go. :'( Maybe I might keep him as a pet...then again I don't want to keep him/her in a cage forever. What do you think? Let him/her go after he grows up, or keeping him? What I am afraid of is he/she has already grown so attached to me in the past few hours. What happens if he/she grows so attached that when I let him/her go, he/she won't know how to survive in the wild? Let me know what you guys think.
Peace and Love,
Sazzie heart  
PostPosted: Sat Aug 22, 2009 5:23 am
Can anyone please give me some advice?
Peace and Love,
Sazzie heart  

Sazzie Lotus Song

Sakakikala

4,550 Points
  • Gaian 50
  • Person of Interest 200
  • Citizen 200
PostPosted: Sat Aug 22, 2009 9:19 am
I say, keep the mouse for now. It can't survive without you.
Also, you will be able to tell if the mouse dosen't want to be wth you when it gets older. It'll try escaping it's cage and such, meaning it wants freedom.

But scince it was abandoned, you might as well be it's foster mother for now. 3nodding

And Pics Please! heart  
PostPosted: Mon Aug 24, 2009 6:13 pm
Dear Everyone,
Unfortunatley, the mouse died. :'( I am very very upset...and I have been crying for days. Today is Monday and he died on Friday...and I am still crying about it.
I think the reason why he died was because he was only two weeks old and didn't have mother's milk to survive.
I really wish I took a few pics...and I don't know how to take this. I can't stop crying. Can anyone please help me?
Peace and Love,
Sazzie heart  

Sazzie Lotus Song

Sazzie Lotus Song

PostPosted: Tue Aug 25, 2009 6:07 pm
Please...can someone help?
Peace and Love,
Sazzie heart  
PostPosted: Tue Aug 25, 2009 6:18 pm
User Image

Sazzie-

Don't even begin to blame yourself for the death of the baby mouse. He/She is in a much better place now, and I know it probably loves you tons for trying to save it's little life. So many people would have just went right along with living without even attempting to help, but you were an amazing person and tried to help.

Although it didn't live very long, I'm sure the little thing was very thankful to have such a sweet person as yourself to try and save it. (:

The little mouse wouldn't want you to be upset, love. How about we come up for a name for the lil baby mouse, and celebrate life, rather than mourn it's death? (:

All is well, love. <3

Peace,
Hannah.

User Image

Captain Fagbox

Sazzie Lotus Song

PostPosted: Tue Aug 25, 2009 6:45 pm
Thanks. smile I needed the help on this. I am happy and grateful that you responded. -hug-
Peace and Love,
Sazzie heart  
PostPosted: Tue Aug 25, 2009 6:46 pm
User Image

You're welcome. 3nodding
I'm here if you ever need help!
<3

User Image

Captain Fagbox

Sakakikala

4,550 Points
  • Gaian 50
  • Person of Interest 200
  • Citizen 200
PostPosted: Wed Aug 26, 2009 7:40 am
Aww. poor Sazzie-chan (hugs).
But that sounds like a good idea. perhaps we should set up a little internet shrine?
Mabye in gaia towns?  
PostPosted: Thu Aug 27, 2009 5:21 am
awwz im sorry to hear the mouse died, but thats still a very nice thing you did, and took care of it when no one else would have  

Nostalgiacola

Mega Nerd

Sazzie Lotus Song

PostPosted: Thu Aug 27, 2009 3:17 pm
Thank you for all of your support guys! I really do appreciate it! smile
Peace and Love,
Sazzie heart  
PostPosted: Wed Sep 23, 2009 11:09 pm
It isn't your fault sweetie. The main thing to realize here is that nature took place. Something obviously happened to the mother and those things happen all of the time. As much as I hate to say it, baby animals die every day by the thousands. Not in captivity necessarily, but in the wild. It's ok to cry, I would too, but just let it go. <3  

Lady Callie G

8,900 Points
  • Overstocked 200
  • Tycoon 200
  • Money Never Sleeps 200

tommi-chan

5,900 Points
  • Beta Forum Regular 0
  • Beta Citizen 0
  • Beta Critic 0
PostPosted: Thu Nov 26, 2009 9:49 pm
if you hadnt of helped it, it would have died a slow lonely death.
i bet it felt warm and loved when it died. and im sure its thankful to you  
PostPosted: Sun Dec 13, 2009 5:51 am
If you ever run into this foster situation again, carry the mouse in your shirt at all times (they need body warmth, and a heartbeat is comforting), and buy some instant kitten formula and a syringe to feed with. Depending on how young the mouse is, you might even have to encourage him to use the bathroom (I won't go into that unless you want me to).

I'm sorry that he didn't make it, but he honestly didn't have much of a chance being so little. My pet rat was pregnant when I rescued her, and when she had her babies, there was one that she kept pushing away from the nest. That's when I googled how to take care of abandoned rat kits, and that's where I learned this information. Sadly, the baby rat I was harboring didn't make it either...he was so young that he didn't have hair yet.

Life can be sad sometimes, but now you will know what to do if you ever run across a little critter again.  

Kayei

jacketcat

Friendly Cat

PostPosted: Mon Jan 25, 2010 3:29 am
biggrin I love mice >.<

But, I would let it go when it's older... but I don't know, since you mentioned that it my start getting dependable on you. I would consult a vet about that, or something. It'd be wrong to take it from it's habitat and keep it in a cage just because you want it as a pet (as cute as it might be), but I can understand if you're concerned about it not being able to live on it's own in the wild.  
Guild of Vegans and Vegetarians

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff
Gaia's Games