Welcome to Gaia! ::

Pagan Fluffy Rehabilitation Center

Back to Guilds

Educational, Respectful and Responsible Paganism. Don't worry, we'll teach you how. 

Tags: Pagan, Wicca, Paganism, Witchcraft, Witch 

Reply Pagan Fluffy Rehabilitation Center
Ritual Dance Goto Page: 1 2 3 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Bastemhet

PostPosted: Mon Aug 17, 2009 10:23 pm
Anyone who practices this? For what purpose? How do you feel it augments your religious practice? Just wondering how people use it and in what context.  
PostPosted: Mon Aug 17, 2009 10:31 pm
Sophist
Anyone who practices this?
Nuri and I for a start. I think Cu might as well. I hope Collowrath does- it's a historic part of his culture.

Quote:

For what purpose?
Depends. I'm a bit of an ecstatic- so I use it to induce an altered state of awareness.  

TeaDidikai

Collowrath

PostPosted: Mon Aug 17, 2009 10:33 pm
TeaDidikai
Sophist
Nuri and I for a start. I think Cu might as well. I hope Collowrath does- it's a historic part of his culture.

I do. smile

EDIT: I use it for inducing an altered state of consciousness in a variety of religious and cultural contexts. I also like to sing Serbian folk songs like the one in my signature and that usually leads to dancing.  
PostPosted: Mon Aug 17, 2009 10:35 pm
TeaDidikai
Sophist

Quote:

For what purpose?
Depends. I'm a bit of an ecstatic- so I use it to induce an altered state of awareness.

Yeah, I read somewhere that Nuri bellydances, and I've recently started lessons. I think it's a great way to share my joy with my patroness, but was wondering how I could use it in a more formalized ritual, or even if this is necessary. Those of Kemetic Orthodox have their Senut, but I have nothing of the sort and feel like I'd like to have a more formal ritual in addition to the spatterings of offerings and conversations that I currently partake in.  

Bastemhet

TeaDidikai

PostPosted: Mon Aug 17, 2009 10:39 pm
Collowrath
TeaDidikai
Sophist

I do. smile

EDIT: I use it for inducing an altered state of consciousness in a variety of religious and cultural contexts. I also like to sing Serbian folk songs like the one in my signature and that usually leads to dancing.
Nice.

Sophist>> Why not learn traditional dances from Kemetic culture instead of using generic belly dance?  
PostPosted: Mon Aug 17, 2009 10:41 pm
Especially since raqs (I refuse to call it belly dancing >.<) is Arab in origin, not Egyptian/Kemetic.

EDIT: I do like raqs though - but I definitely see the value in researching native Egyptian dances.  

Collowrath

TeaDidikai

PostPosted: Mon Aug 17, 2009 10:45 pm
Collowrath
Especially since raqs (I refuse to call it belly dancing >.<) is Arab in origin, not Egyptian/Kemetic.

EDIT: I do like raqs though - but I definitely see the value in researching native Egyptian dances.
3nodding  
PostPosted: Mon Aug 17, 2009 11:05 pm
TeaDidikai
Sophist>> Why not learn traditional dances from Kemetic culture instead of using generic belly dance?

I've tried researching more about what the ancient egyptian dance might have looked like, and the best I could find was this website. It would have been more acobatic and have a wider range of movement than raqs, but I can account for this by doing a more tribal style. Still I haven't seen much more on the dance than this and it's difficult to learn just from looking at murals. They're more like snapshots than choreographies.  

Bastemhet

Collowrath

PostPosted: Mon Aug 17, 2009 11:08 pm
Sophist
TeaDidikai

I've tried researching more about what the ancient egyptian dance might have looked like, and the best I could find was this website. It would have been more acobatic and have a wider range of movement than raqs, but I can account for this by doing a more tribal style. Still I haven't seen much more on the dance than this and it's difficult to learn just from looking at murals. They're more like snapshots than choreographies.

There's nothing quite like winging it. lol Okay a good game of fill in the blanks - I'm sure once you get used to the movements they'll start to flow more naturally.  
PostPosted: Mon Aug 17, 2009 11:10 pm
Sophist
TeaDidikai

Reconstruction FTW, no?  

TeaDidikai

Bastemhet

PostPosted: Mon Aug 17, 2009 11:20 pm
TeaDidikai
Sophist
TeaDidikai

Reconstruction FTW, no?

I think sincerity towards my gods and a pursuit of knowledge through academia is about all I can contribute. From there I'll just have to do what I can.

But if you were being sarcastic, then... sweatdrop *sigh* It is pretty difficult, not impossible, but difficult to be a strict Kemetic recon. I think when the knowledge we have doesn't go as far as I need it to, I am very very hesitant to call whatever I do after that recon. At least I'm honest. :p  
PostPosted: Mon Aug 17, 2009 11:22 pm
Collowrath
Sophist
TeaDidikai

There's nothing quite like winging it. lol Okay a good game of fill in the blanks - I'm sure once you get used to the movements they'll start to flow more naturally.

I hope so. When I look at tribal style now I can see how they do the tics and strobing to fit with the more electronic music that is now in favor. But I think incorporating more pirouettes and gymnastic movements might make a really interesting flavor of tribal in order to honor the Egyptian gods. At the very least it would look a lot cooler than Pharaohnic dance. *facepalm*  

Bastemhet

Kashaku-Tatsu

PostPosted: Mon Aug 17, 2009 11:27 pm
Belly dancing is a great way to connect with yourself and send you into an altered state. I've always used a combo of gothic tribal fusion belly dancing and light show movements when doing transcendental dancing in and out of ritual.

And hell the classes will help tone things up and discover muscles ya might not of been aware of wink lol.  
PostPosted: Tue Aug 18, 2009 5:50 am
yep! I've been taking bellydance lessons for about 3 years now. I still really suck but it has done wonders for me physically, mentally and spiritually. I use dance most often as a ritual, movement meditation and to try to get into trance.

I actually had to change a playlist I had for trance dance/ritual because my teacher started using one of the song as a cool-down in class. The same one I used to lead me down into altered consciousness.

If you want to get technical, I do a variety of bellydance styles, but my favorite is Tribal Fusion and ATS. The more traditional ones just don't do it for me, but my teacher cycles through different styles. One of the last ones she did was Folk, wherin she sat us down and went over why g~ is often considered a bad word, while telling us that when she teaches folk it tends to have a Rroma influence.

My last performance was to Daemonia Nymphe's Divine Goddess of Fertility. I think I performed in a slightly altered state since I often practiced that way.  

maenad nuri
Captain

Kashaku-Tatsu

PostPosted: Tue Aug 18, 2009 5:58 am
I bet that performance was beautiful ^-^ That song will send me into a trance just hearing it with no movement or intent to trance, was a bad choice in text msg ringtones on my phone lol. Do you have a youtube of it you can pm me?  
Pagan Fluffy Rehabilitation Center

Goto Page: 1 2 3 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff