Welcome to Gaia! ::

Pagan Fluffy Rehabilitation Center

Back to Guilds

Educational, Respectful and Responsible Paganism. Don't worry, we'll teach you how. 

Tags: Pagan, Wicca, Paganism, Witchcraft, Witch 

Reply Pagan Fluffy Rehabilitation Center
Wicca traditions? Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Bastemhet

PostPosted: Mon Aug 17, 2009 9:56 pm
I admit I don't know much about Wicca at all, except that to be Wiccan you have to be accepted into a lineaged coven. However on another board someone disagreed and said they are part of a coven that is not lineaged, and that that is not a requirement to be an actual coven. Is this true?  
PostPosted: Mon Aug 17, 2009 9:59 pm
No. That's like asking someone if you have to have a degree to be a doctor and they say "Well of course not! I'm a doctor, I treat people, and I don't have medical training!"

The medical training and proper medical practice would be analogous to the coven - proper training in Wicca and proper practice in Wicca happens in a coven setting.  

Collowrath

Bastemhet

PostPosted: Mon Aug 17, 2009 10:04 pm
Collowrath
No. That's like asking someone if you have to have a degree to be a doctor and they say "Well of course not! I'm a doctor, I treat people, and I don't have medical training!"

The medical training and proper medical practice would be analogous to the coven - proper training in Wicca and proper practice in Wicca happens in a coven setting.

That's what I figured, but I wanted to make sure with people who are more familiar with how Wicca works than I am. Thanks for the response. Can anyone else put in their two cents? How might I explain this to the person without my stomping on whatever they believe they're doing, whether it's fanciful or not? Are there any accords or whatever that were agreed upon during the founding of Wicca that makes it necessary for the covens to be lineaged?  
PostPosted: Mon Aug 17, 2009 10:11 pm
Sophist
Are there any accords or whatever that were agreed upon during the founding of Wicca that makes it necessary for the covens to be lineaged?
Nope. In fact- Gardner used the term to mean Witch and vica versa. He also made false claims about the practice being synonymous with family trads that were not his own when he laid claim to Doreen being from a long family of witches and the like.

To say nothing of what appears to be a movement from some of the Wica to reclaim the title of Wica in place of Wicca in order to distinguish itself. Something I personally find quite honest.  

TeaDidikai

Bastemhet

PostPosted: Mon Aug 17, 2009 10:16 pm
TeaDidikai
Sophist
Are there any accords or whatever that were agreed upon during the founding of Wicca that makes it necessary for the covens to be lineaged?
Nope. In fact- Gardner used the term to mean Witch and vica versa. He also made false claims about the practice being synonymous with family trads that were not his own when he laid claim to Doreen being from a long family of witches and the like.

Then why is a coven that is not lineaged not considered truly Wiccan?

Quote:
To say nothing of what appears to be a movement from some of the Wica to reclaim the title of Wica in place of Wicca in order to distinguish itself. Something I personally find quite honest.

What would distinguish Wica from Wicca?

PostPosted: Mon Aug 17, 2009 10:25 pm
Sophist

Historically? Couldn't say where it started. Basically, the term was not clearly defined. That said, there was a lot of contention between those who followed Gardner, those who broke off from him, and those who emulated him in hopes of getting on his good side only to fail.

My best guess is that at some point rather than distinguishing between themselves and others, members of the Wica decided to lay claim to other people's titles in order to exclude others from being counted amongst their number.

Quote:
Lineage and continued Orthopraxy.

Not really an expert on this stuff. Just found an interesting thread on it a while ago.  

TeaDidikai

Bastemhet

PostPosted: Mon Aug 17, 2009 10:28 pm
TeaDidikai
Sophist

Historically? Couldn't say where it started. Basically, the term was not clearly defined. That said, there was a lot of contention between those who followed Gardner, those who broke off from him, and those who emulated him in hopes of getting on his good side only to fail.

My best guess is that at some point rather than distinguishing between themselves and others, members of the Wica decided to lay claim to other people's titles in order to exclude others from being counted amongst their number.

Quote:
Lineage and continued Orthopraxy.

Not really an expert on this stuff. Just found an interesting thread on it a while ago.

Interesting. Might you have a link?  
PostPosted: Mon Aug 17, 2009 10:35 pm
Sophist

Nope. I just browsed it. Look in here and M&R. These are really the only two places I could have read it.  

TeaDidikai

Bastemhet

PostPosted: Mon Aug 17, 2009 10:37 pm
TeaDidikai
Sophist

Nope. I just browsed it. Look in here and M&R. These are really the only two places I could have read it.

Nuts. Was hoping you posted so that I might look it up from your post history, but alas and alack. I guess I'll just wade through the fluff and posts on homosexuality. Thanks anyway.  
PostPosted: Mon Aug 17, 2009 10:40 pm
Sophist
I admit I don't know much about Wicca at all, except that to be Wiccan you have to be accepted into a lineaged coven. However on another board someone disagreed and said they are part of a coven that is not lineaged, and that that is not a requirement to be an actual coven. Is this true?

There exist (as far as I'm aware) loads of covens that aren't lineaged to Wicca.
They just aren't Wiccan covens.  

Nines19

TeaDidikai

PostPosted: Mon Aug 17, 2009 10:48 pm
Nines19

There exist (as far as I'm aware) loads of covens that aren't lineaged to Wicca.
Why?  
PostPosted: Mon Aug 17, 2009 11:03 pm
TeaDidikai
Nines19

Why?

They don't practice Wicca.  

Nines19

TeaDidikai

PostPosted: Mon Aug 17, 2009 11:11 pm
Nines19
TeaDidikai
Nines19

Why?

They don't practice Wica.

What do you have that says they don't practice Wicca?  
PostPosted: Mon Aug 17, 2009 11:41 pm
TeaDidikai
Nines19
TeaDidikai
Nines19

Why?

Depending on how we're defining Wicca, the covens themselves.  

Nines19

patch99329

PostPosted: Tue Aug 18, 2009 3:58 am
TeaDidikai
Nines19
TeaDidikai
Nines19

Why?

Surely the sudden change from telling people they arent practicing wicca to saying that they are, but not wica specifically; is going to cause great confusion?  
Pagan Fluffy Rehabilitation Center

Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff