Welcome to Gaia! ::

Pagan Fluffy Rehabilitation Center

Back to Guilds

Educational, Respectful and Responsible Paganism. Don't worry, we'll teach you how. 

Tags: Pagan, Wicca, Paganism, Witchcraft, Witch 

Reply Pagan Fluffy Rehabilitation Center
Symbols Goto Page: 1 2 3 ... 4 5 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

TeaDidikai

PostPosted: Sat Aug 15, 2009 5:29 pm
Random Question Set Time!

What is the most common symbol within your tradition?
What is the most common symbol for your tradition?
What is your favorite symbol within your tradition?
What is/are your favorite symbol(s) from other tradition(s)?

Do you have any personally authored symbols?
If so, what spiritual relevance do they hold?

Do you have a symbol-based method of personalization?

Do you have a series of symbols that contain specific mysteries that you employ in spiritual practices?  
PostPosted: Sat Aug 15, 2009 8:36 pm
TeaDidikai

Hard call. Since every Aspect and Essence has a symbol (or ought to) I'd say the most common symbol would be the most common Aspect I involve myself with. Which is Star/Radiance.

Quote:

...it completely slipped my mind to make a symbol for my tradition. *facepalm*

Quote:

Blades or Water, both have interesting forms.

Quote:

Less a specific symbol and more an admiration for some of the simple yet entirely expressive strokes of some of the Norse runes.

I do my best to emulate that simple expression to express as much about a given Aspect or Essence in as few strokes as possible.

Quote:

Pretty much everything in Etherism is made by me.
They operate as a focus point to concentrate the efforts of the channeler to the energies of the Aspect, Essence or source in question as well as an aid to psychodrama.

Quote:

Not sure what you mean here.

Quote:
Do you have a series of symbols that contain specific mysteries that you employ in spiritual practices?

Unless I read this wrong, technically all of the symbols in Etherism contain mysteries that are employed in their use, because the actual step by step means to channeling in Etherism has been pushed to mystery status due to my own concerns regarding misuse by outsiders and those unable to follow the philosophy. The methodologies of these mysteries are not in the pathways thread and never were actually (as I was uncomfortable with presenting them at the time).  

Recursive Paradox

IH_Zero

PostPosted: Sat Aug 15, 2009 8:47 pm
I'll have to think on the other questions, but I'd say the most common symbols in Kemetic paganism are probably the ankh, and the Wedjat (Eye of Ra/Horus). Djed pillars are pretty frequent as well (These things). Iaret cobras, maybe, but I don't see those nearly as often.

Ankhs and Wedjats are probably some of the more common symbols that just scream "Egypt!" at people, so I can see why they would be fairly common.

I personally prefer the individual symbols of various Netjeru, and the Shen ring (Here).  
PostPosted: Sat Aug 15, 2009 10:05 pm
TeaDidikai

The Cross or an Oroboros. It depends on how much the gnostic sect is trying to distance themselves from Christianity. My sect recognizes itself as a branch of Christian so hence uses the Cross.
Quote:

For my sect it is the cross.
Quote:

The symbol for Scorpio.
Quote:

I like the aunk, the yin-yang, and the five pointed star.

Quote:

Not really clear on this one? Do you mean unique version an existing symbols or like new symbols all together?
Quote:

Kinda Here
Quote:

The Eucharist is a big one. The previous symbol I've posted holds a significance because I did a tarot meditation using a card layout inspired by this symbol and it was during the first meditation using this layout when I was called to my path.  

rmcdra

Loved Seeker

11,700 Points
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Partygoer 500
  • Contributor 150

kage no neko

Invisible Phantom

8,500 Points
  • Bunny Spotter 50
  • Bunny Hunter 100
  • Bunny Hoarder 150
PostPosted: Sat Aug 15, 2009 10:30 pm
I don't really have any symbols, nor an actual tradition, but I thought I might answer a little too!

I absolutely love stars.
The star makes up the pentacle. We have a star of our own that helps give us life (the sun). They decorate the sky at night with their beautiful glitter.

I also like the ankh. I have an ankh necklace I wore for years (until I got the necklace I wear now). It's helped me feel better plenty of times. It's silly, but it's comforting to me. And unless I've been wrong for a while, it's the egyptian symbol for life, which is just another reminder to continue on.  
PostPosted: Sat Aug 15, 2009 10:59 pm
Recursive Paradox
Quote:

A personal glyph or rune that says "Me". I tried to have mine tattooed on me when I came of age, but it got messed up by the artist. stare

rmcdra
Quote:

The five pointed star has a role in Christendom too. Often it represents the five wounds of Christ and from a Gnostic perspective can also reflect humanity reaching towards the Divine.  

TeaDidikai

rmcdra

Loved Seeker

11,700 Points
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Partygoer 500
  • Contributor 150
PostPosted: Sat Aug 15, 2009 11:05 pm
TeaDidikai

rmcdra
Quote:

The five pointed star has a role in Christendom too. Often it represents the five wounds of Christ and from a Gnostic perspective can also reflect humanity reaching towards the Divine.
I had forgotten about the of the five wounds of Christ though I didn't know there was a Gnostic interpretation for it. I'm always learning something from you it seems.  
PostPosted: Sat Aug 15, 2009 11:17 pm
rmcdra
... I didn't know there was a Gnostic interpretation for it.
"The perfection of the ability to sense the world in order to transcend Rex Mundi" is the verbiage I recall from a friend. Often the man inscribed within the Pentagram is the full expression of the symbol.  

TeaDidikai

rmcdra

Loved Seeker

11,700 Points
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Partygoer 500
  • Contributor 150
PostPosted: Sat Aug 15, 2009 11:27 pm
TeaDidikai
rmcdra
... I didn't know there was a Gnostic interpretation for it.
"The perfection of the ability to sense the world in order to transcend Rex Mundi" is the verbiage I recall from a friend. Often the man inscribed within the Pentagram is the full expression of the symbol.
Ah I've seen that too, but it wasn't on a gnostic website. I think it was on one of the fluffy pagan sites back when I thought I needed to break away from Christianity.

Yeah there's a lot in my tradition that I am completely oblivious of just because there's so much.  
PostPosted: Sun Aug 16, 2009 3:58 am
TeaDidikai
What is the most common symbol within your tradition?[/qoute]
I guess it would be the pentacle since we have a few different versions of it lol.

Quote:

Dragon Pentacle

Quote:

Ouroborus Pentacle (yes the dragon version lol)

Quote:

11 pointed star from the TOTBL (their symbol of chaos and used in their rituals to tiamat and the 11 she created)

Quote:
Quote:

I have some sigils I have made for specific ritual and spell work (like quick ones for creativity, etc), guess they can be considered bindrunes since they are made from the runes of our path.

Quote:
Quote:

Yes I have created one that I use in binding specific workings and carved it into my grimoire. It is a "bindrune" spelling out my "soul's name" (I guess is a way to put it).

Quote:

Each of our runes has a deep meaning for individual use in our path. There are a few talismans for individual deities as well.

Kashaku-Tatsu

Recursive Paradox

PostPosted: Sun Aug 16, 2009 6:09 am
TeaDidikai
Recursive Paradox
Quote:

A personal glyph or rune that says "Me". I tried to have mine tattooed on me when I came of age, but it got messed up by the artist. stare

Ah. That sort of thing is actually a requirement in the personal growth cycle of moving beyond just Aspect use and moving towards the usage of your own energies, so yes, Etherism does have a Symbol of the Self.

It just takes a really long time to make that symbol, because you really have to do it right or it won't work for anything. x_x

*is actually still working on hers and refuses to publish until she gets past the novice point in her own damn religion... >.>*  
PostPosted: Sun Aug 16, 2009 8:49 am
Poe, I love how you're not automatically the Grand Master of your own religion.

TeaDidikai
Hmmm. Common symbols for the Kemetic side include the ankh, the udjat and the djed pillar as ARI said, as well as the was-scepter, the lotus flower, the feather of Ma'at, the scarab, the sistrum, the shen... The Egyptians loved their symbols alright. xp For the UUs, hands down it's the flaming chalice.

Quote:
Probably the ankh or the udjat. Someone wearing one of these symbols is probably less likely to be pagan than even someone wearing a pentacle though, so it doesn't generally help me spot others. razz Someone with a UU chalice on almost 100% has some connection to the religion though; it's not a common "looks cool" or "I'm so okkult" symbol.

Quote:
For the UUs, I prefer the chalice that is off-center in a double ring, although the one with the chalice centered and a rainbow where the rings overlap is cool too (generally denotes a welcoming congregation). Otherwise, I'm partial to the ankh; when I was a kid I would make ankhs out of gimp (that plastic lanyard weaving stuff) at camp. I'm planning eventually to get a tattoo of a was-scepter on my spine (ow). I also like the five-pointed star (I can't find a good image; it's not a pentagram, looks more like a sea star) and the pet (looks kind of like a bench, in this image shown supported by two was-scepters) which are symbols of Nut & the night sky, and another tattoo idea is some kind of arrangement of stars on my chest (again, ow).

Quote:
I like the Thor's hammer symbol, the Dharma wheel, the FSM fish, and the circle with the cross in it that Wikipedia calls a "sun cross."

Quote:
I wish. I think about creating symbols every so often but have never really gotten around to it. I'm sure I made up languages when I was a kid but they're gone now.

Quote:
Again, I wish. I can't even get my signature to look the same way twice. I have vague memories of personal glyphs from childhood, but nothing that stuck with me. A few years ago I was signing Gaia furry art commissions with "K E E" in Tolkien's Cirth runes, but totally wrong since Tolkien's scripts were generally phonetic instead of alphabetic. Anyway, I think it would be difficult for me to actually come up with a symbol that would continue to represent me through my different phases.

Quote:
I don't think so? I'll have to think about that.  

TheDisreputableDog

Recursive Paradox

PostPosted: Sun Aug 16, 2009 9:16 am
TheDisreputableDog

Even Gardner had to start somewhere. *snort giggle*  
PostPosted: Sun Aug 16, 2009 9:21 am
rmcdra

Yeah there's a lot in my tradition that I am completely oblivious of just because there's so much.
Well... and really, who knows how old that tradition is?

Kashaku-Tatsu

Ouroborus Pentacle (yes the dragon version lol)
The Ouroborus isn't a dragon. confused

Recursive Paradox
TheDisreputableDog

Hey had Doreen though...  

TeaDidikai

Recursive Paradox

PostPosted: Sun Aug 16, 2009 1:15 pm
TeaDidikai

Recursive Paradox
TheDisreputableDog

Hey had Doreen though...

You know, a friend of mine actually suggested at one point to add sex rites into Etherism. I imagine that would make things... complex.  
Pagan Fluffy Rehabilitation Center

Goto Page: 1 2 3 ... 4 5 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff