Reply Fantasy Books Guild
Comparing Harry Potter to Twilight

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

AnimatedBritney

PostPosted: Sun Aug 09, 2009 12:46 am
Alright, here's two fantasy books. One about a wizarding school, another about vampires with a splash of werewolves. Everyone has heard of these books.

I personally, believe Harry Potter is a much better read. J.K. Rowling is much more imaginative than Stepenie Meyer. I've read many books on the romance between a human and a vampire. But there is no other book like Harry Potter. The plot is original, and ingenious.

I loved Twilight, I read the first book within a day. So, don't flame me for "bashing Stephenie Meyer". Because that's not what I am doing. I'm just saying Twilight is getting very overrated.

Tell me your comparisons of these books.  
PostPosted: Sun Aug 09, 2009 6:35 am
Harry Potter had a stronger support system than Twilight. Bella moped in book 2 like Harry did in book 5 but he snapped out of it because others called him out on it. I was disgusted when no one took Bella aside and told her to get over it.  

Darth_Magus1

NightIntent
Captain

PostPosted: Sun Aug 09, 2009 1:22 pm
I really don't think there's a comparison.

Both books were written in completely different styles, for different audiences, to teach different lessons, in very different "atmospheres." The only thing they really have in common is that they're both wildly popular with their respective audiences. Comparing these two books is just... kind of pointless, in my opinion.  
PostPosted: Mon Aug 10, 2009 9:11 am
There's not much to compare. Sure, they're both fantasy series, but other then that they really aren't alike.

Personally I that HP was a lot better then Twilight, but that's just because J.K. Rowling is a lot better writer. I like Twilight too, but it just wasn't that well writen.
Twilight is a romance. No one can deny that. I mean sure, you have action in the book but that doesn't change the fact that it is romance. HP is purely fantasy, and argueably action. This means that I don't see a lot of connections other then that both the books have werewolves, vampires, and for HP, slight romance.
There's such a huge difference in plots it's not even funny. Since HP is about wizards and Twilight is about vampires they don't do any of the same stuff. And even the werewolves and vampires and differently portrayed between the books, so there is no connection there either.

So, overall, I think that the only connections the books really have is the fact that they are both fantasy, they have romance, and they both have werewolves and vampires. Not much.  

kita44

5,250 Points
  • Peoplewatcher 100
  • Forum Explorer 100
  • Window Shopper 100

AnimatedBritney

PostPosted: Mon Aug 10, 2009 1:41 pm
There's not much to compare. Sure, they're both fantasy series, but other then that they really aren't alike.

I'm not saying they are alike, at all. Besides they both deal with fantasy and romance.

I agree with what you say, but all I'm saying is Twilight is overrated.  
PostPosted: Mon Aug 10, 2009 8:20 pm
I read Twilight and I hated it, so I didn't read the rest of the series. The characters were shallow and under-developed. When I say "under-developed" I don't mean that we don't know enough about them. My sister likes the series, so she's told me that we find out everyone's backstory in later novels. I consider Edward an "under-developed" character because he's too perfect; there aren't layers to his personality. I LOVED when Rowling revealed the shady past of Dumbledore in DH because it made him so much more real and interesting.

Plus, I just don't like romance novels in general. When characters are obsessed over their lover and doesn't care about their friends/family/career/hobbies I can't respect them. It's pathetic; not romantic. For example, I love Severus, and I do think his feelings for Lily are romantic. HOWEVER, I bet if the HP series was told from his point of view that I'd dislike it...Unless, of course, his inevitable sarcastic mental comments were enough to entertain me. xd

I detest crossovers between these two series and I can't stand comparing the two series. Twilight isn't even close to being in the same league as Harry Potter; the writing quality isn't half as good. Besides, the plots are not even remotely similar. The issue between Harry and Voldemort isn't anything like the love triangle between Bella, Edward, and Jacob.

Minerva the Bookwyrm

Destined Savior

Demonic Businesswoman

10,825 Points
  • Battle: Mage 100
  • Survivor 150
  • Conversationalist 100
PostPosted: Tue Aug 11, 2009 1:02 pm
Minerva the Bookwyrm
I read Twilight and I hated it, so I didn't read the rest of the series. The characters were shallow and under-developed. When I say "under-developed" I don't mean that we don't know enough about them. My sister likes the series, so she's told me that we find out everyone's backstory in later novels. I consider Edward an "under-developed" character because he's too perfect; there aren't layers to his personality. I LOVED when Rowling revealed the shady past of Dumbledore in DH because it made him so much more real and interesting.

Plus, I just don't like romance novels in general. When characters are obsessed over their lover and doesn't care about their friends/family/career/hobbies I can't respect them. It's pathetic; not romantic. For example, I love Severus, and I do think his feelings for Lily are romantic. HOWEVER, I bet if the HP series was told from his point of view that I'd dislike it...Unless, of course, his inevitable sarcastic mental comments were enough to entertain me. xd

I detest crossovers between these two series and I can't stand comparing the two series. Twilight isn't even close to being in the same league as Harry Potter; the writing quality isn't half as good. Besides, the plots are not even remotely similar. The issue between Harry and Voldemort isn't anything like the love triangle between Bella, Edward, and Jacob.

True but most people love that lovely dovery stuff in order to make their lives "less stressful or miserable". I personally believe Stepheine was making Eddie too perfect for own reasons, which in all honestly, confuse the heck out of me. I mean Perfection doesn't really make a man. Many men have their flaws such as women do. Everyone has a flaw but they most likely will never admit it in any circumstance.

Twilight is an okay series but comparing to Harry Potter, well that's like comparing Pop to Metal. Too totally different things which makes this very ironic to me.  
PostPosted: Sat Aug 22, 2009 8:35 pm
J.K. Rowling was a genious to set up a series like Harry Potter, the plot is so complicated and layered it's like nothing I've ever read, like the whole horcruxes-Hallows thing. Twilight is very predictable and I can tell you the plot in 6 words..... Vampire falls in love with human. Personaly I like Harry Potter more, Twilight is overrated.  

elano thorn

witchhunterrobin80

800 Points
  • Member 100
  • Gaian 50
PostPosted: Mon Sep 14, 2009 3:50 pm
I actually like both series but I think you have to look at them from different perspectives. Harry Potter starts out appealing to children and develops the characters into well loved fan favorites. I think even with the dark themes, Twilight is a much lighter series which should be looked at as such, both have their own appeal and are not for everyone. There are people out there who dismiss the greatness that the Harry Potter series achieved based on the first MOVIE! I try to explain but people get set in their ways. I think that is what happened with some people reading the Twilight series is that they went in with preconceived notions. I think it will be like that when people who have never read J.R.R. Tolkien but have watched the movies, they will either be shocked by how much more depth the books have or become bored because they have 'already seen the movie'.  
Fantasy Books Guild

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff
Gaia's Games