Welcome to Gaia! ::

Gaian Art Mentors

Back to Guilds

Where artists are paired in a mentor/mentee fashion to share their knowledge. 

Tags: artists, mentor, mentee, learning, drawing 

Reply Sketchbooks [Get crits here! Open to everyone]
What do you think?

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

What do you think?
  I love it
  I like it
  I don't like it
  Super Sexy
View Results

KAKASHI no Hentai

PostPosted: Thu Aug 06, 2009 11:37 am

an OC I had drawn for someone
User Image
PostPosted: Thu Aug 06, 2009 11:42 pm

over i think its got a nice style and look to it. tho the brush work seems alittle rough to me. unless that was the look you were kinda going for i think you shouldn't be so shy with it.

the anatomy is not so bad. there are a few errors. lets go from top to bottom.

the back of the neck seems to connect really oddly to the shoulders.
the left shoulder is to low/uneven. just raise it slightly. and as for the right shoulder its looks okay but you don't ....have a shoulder blade. it just looks weird.

the whole elbow looks pretty odd too. the elbow itself is realllllly sharp. the crease/fold should be more diagonal. lastly i'm not sure what position the hand is in but the lower part of the forearm shouldn't have such a steep angle.

finally the hips looks ...unfinished. and what i think is the buttcheeks are a tad bit high

thats about it. i really like the concept of the piece. but if you fix the slight anatomical errors i think you could really tighten it up. also if you need a red line let me know

Folken_Schezar
Crew

Eizoryu

PostPosted: Fri Aug 07, 2009 3:12 pm

I apologize, but to me, the coloring just looks like a smudgy mess. I would really urge you not to rely so heavily on the Smudge tool when you paint digitally. It makes a picture look extremely unattractive, in my opinion, when you overuse such a tool. Especially when other areas are crisp, or pixelated to a point that it looks like they were cut via the Lasso tool.

If you want to achieve a soft look to your shading, use a low opacity, soft-edged brush and go over the areas you want to shade in layers. If you get a bad stroke, that's what Ctrl+Z is for. Same applies to highlights.

And blacks don't lend a very lively look when you shade with them; the only time they work decently is with inorganic subjects, like metal or rock. Skin, not so much. Try using complementary colors to what you've got. Like a dark green to a red. Or try using dark indigos and navies, applying them using the technique I mentioned above. For highlights, try not to use straight-up white. Use a pastel color, like a very light pink on red or a pale baby blue on blue.

You got your light source placed alright, though. I'll give you that. I'm not going to cover anatomy. Folken did that already and any more would just be nitpicky.
PostPosted: Fri Aug 07, 2009 9:18 pm

the smudged design is on purpose i want to look like oil paint, but Folken thank you on the tips, no more photo shop when im drunk, and i didn't use any black exept for the eyes

KAKASHI no Hentai

KAKASHI no Hentai

PostPosted: Sat Aug 08, 2009 10:49 pm

User Image
PostPosted: Sun Aug 09, 2009 7:28 pm

Oh, hello there, internets!

I'm not necessarily a big buff on this style of art, but the corrections you made look great! Her back looks quite a bit more natural.

The thing that bothers me the most now is her hair.

I have absolutely no experience with digital painting, so I'm sure that I would just make a mess of myself, and you're probably doing a million times better than I could do if I tried right now. However, her hair just seems unnatural. The strands appear to be stiff, curvy sticks that sort of protrude from her head, and the crown looks thicker than the rest of it. I suggest asking a family member or friend with long hair to spin around for you -- observe how it looks when it's in spinning, and try to repeat that a few times on paper before hitting the computer.

It looks like you're already trying to incorporate motion, and that's awesome! It's an excellent start; you just have to build on that.

I did not see you there.

Vodou von Prettypants

Sketchbooks [Get crits here! Open to everyone]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces