Welcome to Gaia! ::

Gaian Art Mentors

Back to Guilds

Where artists are paired in a mentor/mentee fashion to share their knowledge. 

Tags: artists, mentor, mentee, learning, drawing 

Reply Sketchbooks [Get crits here! Open to everyone]
~Realism~ WIP

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Bubblegum_Paint

PostPosted: Wed Aug 05, 2009 9:58 pm

Sorry but I do not own a scanner I had to take a picture of this drawing instead. Anyways besides the overall lack of tones and values what else is wrong? The prortions look odd to me. Please help.

User Image
PostPosted: Thu Aug 06, 2009 2:57 am

I would say it is the nose and eyes might be what is making the proportions look off. They flatten the face dues to lack of overall values around the nose and brow, and the almond-shaped eyes. But besides that, this is a good realism piece.

My advice to you is to try softening the shadow on the nose, as well as shaping it and adding shadow underneath as well. It may be slightly to far to the left, in according to how you have the face profiled, but it is not too far that it throws off the proportions alot.

As for the eyes, try breaking up the almond shape and not drawing the tear ducts so pointed and pronounced.

Ex.
User Image

I wish i could visually show you the shading on the nose, but i am unable to do such a task in paint or photoshop.

But here is an example of my real life drawings. But overall, soften the facial features, and the more tints of shading you have; the more 3-D and realistic it becomes.

My Ex.
http://i432.photobucket.com/albums/qq49/p1casso123/l_d69a5ddcb1f45d693da388e246d16a9e.jpg

Otome Picasso

5,500 Points
  • Peoplewatcher 100
  • V-Day 2011 Event 100
  • Person of Interest 200

Errol McGillivray
Captain

PostPosted: Thu Aug 06, 2009 9:33 am

I don't scan most of the time. I take photos too. No one can tell.

First, no flash when you use pencil or any other reflective tool or surface. Right now, we can't really tell you anything about your values because they're washed out by the flash.

If you're taking the picture at night and need the flash, stay back away from the picture and use the zoom. It's harder to deal with because you're going to move a little as you try, but you won't get the light smacking into your work and flying back at the lens.

If you have a digital camera make sure it's set for indoor. Indoor light is yellow. If you use that setting, it filters that out to white and you don't need the flash because the indoor lighting will be enough.

Stick the page up on the wall at eye level with yourself. Just a tiny bit of tape on the corners. Don't stick at the middles because the page will curl with gravity.

Step back enough so that the picture is all in the viewfinder without using the zoom. (Use the macro setting if it's small so you don't get blurring.)

You'll get photos that people will mistake for scans. example (need DA acct to see) I find this to be a lot more versatile and cleaner than scanning actually. I don't even scan my sketchbook anymore in most cases. (Now that I have a camera again.) Give it a try and see the difference it makes in your presentation.

An easy to see, clean presentation shows you care about what you're doing and care about the people that are viewing. (Never hurts. Hehe.)
PostPosted: Thu Aug 06, 2009 12:45 pm

Maybe try to scribble out a rough frame with the same first and then build the portait over it. I have trouble doing these myself sometimes and just trying to draw the person head + face first usually doesn't work to well.

I think I'm gonna try the digital camera advice myself when I get one. Sounds like solid advice.

Anpu the black Seraph

Bubblegum_Paint

PostPosted: Sat Aug 08, 2009 11:14 am

Otome Picasso
I would say it is the nose and eyes might be what is making the proportions look off. They flatten the face dues to lack of overall values around the nose and brow, and the almond-shaped eyes. But besides that, this is a good realism piece.

My advice to you is to try softening the shadow on the nose, as well as shaping it and adding shadow underneath as well. It may be slightly to far to the left, in according to how you have the face profiled, but it is not too far that it throws off the proportions alot.

As for the eyes, try breaking up the almond shape and not drawing the tear ducts so pointed and pronounced.

Ex.
User Image

I wish i could visually show you the shading on the nose, but i am unable to do such a task in paint or photoshop.

But here is an example of my real life drawings. But overall, soften the facial features, and the more tints of shading you have; the more 3-D and realistic it becomes.

My Ex.
http://i432.photobucket.com/albums/qq49/p1casso123/l_d69a5ddcb1f45d693da388e246d16a9e.jpg

Awww thanks so much for the helpful advice, it was extremley helpful. whee
PostPosted: Sat Aug 08, 2009 11:20 pm

Oh, hello there, internets!

Darken those values! You need to be hitting every part of your value scale; your audience should be able to tell what they're looking at from a distance.

I did not see you there.

Vodou von Prettypants

Bubblegum_Paint

PostPosted: Tue Aug 11, 2009 11:04 am

Errol McGillivray
I don't scan most of the time. I take photos too. No one can tell.

First, no flash when you use pencil or any other reflective tool or surface. Right now, we can't really tell you anything about your values because they're washed out by the flash.

If you're taking the picture at night and need the flash, stay back away from the picture and use the zoom. It's harder to deal with because you're going to move a little as you try, but you won't get the light smacking into your work and flying back at the lens.

If you have a digital camera make sure it's set for indoor. Indoor light is yellow. If you use that setting, it filters that out to white and you don't need the flash because the indoor lighting will be enough.

Stick the page up on the wall at eye level with yourself. Just a tiny bit of tape on the corners. Don't stick at the middles because the page will curl with gravity.

Step back enough so that the picture is all in the viewfinder without using the zoom. (Use the macro setting if it's small so you don't get blurring.)

You'll get photos that people will mistake for scans. example (need DA acct to see) I find this to be a lot more versatile and cleaner than scanning actually. I don't even scan my sketchbook anymore in most cases. (Now that I have a camera again.) Give it a try and see the difference it makes in your presentation.

An easy to see, clean presentation shows you care about what you're doing and care about the people that are viewing. (Never hurts. Hehe.)
I took the picture several times with and without the flash, I just thought that one turned out the best. I'll keep the advice in mind though for the next time I have to photograph one of my pieces, thanks!
Sketchbooks [Get crits here! Open to everyone]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff
Gaia's Games