Welcome to Gaia! ::

Guild of Vegans and Vegetarians

Back to Guilds

Join vegetarians and supporters for discussion on health, cooking, and ethical issues! 

Tags: Food, Vegan, Vegetarian, Animal, Cooking 

Reply Guild of Vegans and Vegetarians
happy fer bk veggie burgers?? DONT BE!

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Have you ever had a burger king veggie burger?
  yes, it was delightful! (:
  yes, it was gross! D:
  nope
View Results

whore-doeuvres

Sparkly Sailor

13,575 Points
  • Conversationalist 100
  • Cat Fancier 100
  • Gender Swap 100
PostPosted: Wed Aug 05, 2009 9:21 am
User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.
This is an artical this I found and read it all!!
Yew should too because its gross D:

link fer other stuff: http://www.vegparadise.com/news15.html

scroll fer article! :O

January 5, 2005 -- Vegparadise News Bureau

Burger King Caseinates in the Hen House

When Burger King introduced its BK Veggie Burger in 2002 (story below), the patty was vegan even though the bun and mayonnaise were not because they contained butter and eggs. Since that time, the fast food company has reformulated the patty that now contains both eggs and dairy. The current patty has soy as one of the ingrediens, while the original did not. The Sesame Seed Bun is relatively unchanged and devoid of any nutritional value.

The VIP tasters sampled the original BK Veggie Burger that was warmed slightly in the microwave to avoid contamination by the animal products cooked on the grill.

In information supplied by the company and printed below, the product is definitely not vegan because of egg whites and calcium caseinate (derived from milk).

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Ingredients in BK VEGGIE® BURGER PATTY

Vegetables (Mushrooms, Water Chestnuts, Onions, Carrots, Green Bell Peppers, Red Bell Peppers, Black Olives), Textured Vegetable Protein (Soy Protein Concentrate, Wheat Gluten, Water for hydration), Egg Whites, Cooked Brown Rice (Water, Brown Rice), Rolled Oats, Corn Oil, Calcium Caseinate, Soy Sauce (Water, Soybeans, Salt, Wheat), Onion Powder, Corn Starch, Salt, Hydrolyzed Corn, Soy, and Wheat Protein, Autolyzed Yeast Extract, Natural Flavors from non-meat sources, Sugar, Soy Protein Isolate, Spices, Garlic Powder, Dextrose, Jalapeño Pepper Powder, Celery Extract. Contains Egg, Wheat, Soy.
Note: This is NOT a VEGAN product.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

April 5, 2002 -- Vegparadise News Bureau

Burger King Introduces the Veggie Burger That Ain't

Editors' Note: Those of you who read this story on April 1, may have seen a different version because VIP has learned more details that necessitated a re-write of the story appearing on that date.

" The Burger King VeggieBurger is not positioned to be a vegetarian or vegan burger. It was designed to be a meatless alternative." These were the words VIP heard when we called Burger King headquarters in Miami, Florida.

The customer relations person continued by saying, "The veggie burger has reduced-fat mayonnaise that contains egg products, and the bun has natural and artificial butter flavor."

Those items would make the bun and the mayonnaise objectionable to vegans but not necessarily to ovo-lacto vegetarians.

What he did not indicate was that both the bun and the mayonnaise contain polysorbate 60 that is derived from animal products. The patty, produced by Worthington Foods (now owned by Kellogg's), is vegetarian but does contain sugar that would make it objectionable to vegans.

The veggie sandwich has far fewer calories and much less fat than the full-scale Whopper. The BK Veggie contains 10 grams of fat, 2g saturated, and 14 grams of protein with a calorie total of 330. The Whopper statistics include 39 grams of fat and 29 grams of protein with 680 calories.

We posed a simple question to the Burger King representative. "If the sandwich has 10 grams of fat and 2 are saturated, what is the nature of the other 8 grams?" He was unable to answer.

Current food labels do not require food companies to list trans-fats, those artery-clogging fats that are now considered more dangerous than saturated fats. Companies only indicate monounsaturated, polyunsaturated, and saturated fats. If the numbers don't add up, there are probably trans-fats in the product.

Vegetarians who order the BK VEGGIE should specify that they want it cooked away from the Whoppers. To make certain, they should request it be microwaved. To cut down on the fat or to avoid the animal ingredients in the bun and the mayonnaise, they may want to order just the patty with lettuce and tomato, and supplement it with a side salad.

The 66-gram patty by itself is only 140 calories with 4 grams of fat, only 0.5 saturated. It offers 9 grams of protein, 2 grams of fiber, and no cholesterol.

Vegan activist Erik Marcus, author of Vegan, the New Ethics of Eating and sponsor of websites http://www.erikmarkus.com and http://www.vegan.com appealed to the vegetarian community to support the Burger King effort. "The Burger King Veggie Burger represents an unprecedented opportunity in the vegetarian movement's history," he says, "but if the burger flops, it might set the growth of the movement back ten years."

Marcus, who has not eaten fast foods for 15 years, did his own taste test. "I bit into it, and it was delicious," he reported. "The burger had great texture and flavor. Everything tasted fresh. Even the tomatoes were excellent -- quite a trick for Upstate New York in March."

Like Marcus, VIP believes that restaurant efforts to offer vegetarian options should be supported. We want these foods to succeed in the marketplace so that more vegan and vegetarian items will appear on menus.

Unfortunately, VIP does not agree with Marcus's evaluation and cannot sincerely recommend the BK Veggie Burger. Our lunch test included ordering a microwaved patty with a side salad without the cheese. The patty was not delicious, the texture was not pleasing, and it tasted fatty.

As a sandwich the BK Veggie Burger is neither vegetarian nor vegan. After reading the ingredient list, we have decided it is a chemical meal instead of a wholesome sandwich. Without the bun, it is not even a satisfying meal, even with a side salad. We feel the BK Veggie Burger is just plain junk food.

For another view, VIP dispatched the VeggieTaster to a local Burger King to report back to our readers on this new product. For that review click on the VeggieTaster Report.

As a public service, VIP is printing the patty's list of ingredients that might not be readily available at the local Burger King. The company provides the information.

Ingredient Listing for Patty
WATER, MUSHROOMS, WATER CHESTNUTS, COOKED BROWN RICE, TEXTURED WHEAT PROTEIN, ROLLED OATS, VITAL WHEAT GLUTEN, FROZEN ONIONS, CORN OIL, FROZEN CARROTS, POTATO STARCH, FROZEN GREEN PEPPERS, FROZEN RED PEPPERS, 2% OR LESS OF ONION POWDER, CORN STARCH, BLACK OLIVES, METHYLCELLULOSE, SALT, MODIFIED TAPIOCA STARCH, RICE FLOUR, YEAST EXTRACT, OAT FIBER, SUGAR, POTATO DEXTRIN, KONJAC FLOUR, GARLIC POWDER, BLACK PEPPER, MALTODEXTRIN, NATURAL FLAVORS FROM NON-MEAT SOURCES, DEXTROSE, SODIUM BICARBONATE, SODIUM ACID PYROPHOSPHATE, HYDROLYZED CORN GLUTEN, MALT EXTRACT, SAGE, GRILL FLAVOR, BASIL, RAISIN JUICE CONCENTRATE, OREGANO, JALAPENO PEPPER POWDER, SESAME OIL, MODIFIED CORN STARCH, CORN SYRUP SOLIDS, NATURAL SMOKE FLAVORING, CELERY OLEORESIN, WINE, CITRIC ACID, CARAMEL COLOR, AND XANTHAN GUM.

Ingredient Listing for 4" Bun
ENRICHED FLOUR (NIACIN, IRON, THIAMINE MONONITRATE, RIBOBLAVIN, AND FOLIC ACID), WATER, SUGAR, (SUCROSE OR HIGH FRUCTOSE CORN SYRUP), VEGETABLE SHORTENING, YEAST, SALT, WHEAT GLUTEN, SESAME SEEDS, NATURAL AND ARTIFICIAL BUTTER FLAVOR, YEAST FOOD (CALCIUM SULFATE, POTASSIUM IODATE, AND/OR AMMONIUM SULFATE) DOUGH CONDITIONERS (POLYSORBATE 60, CALCIUM PEROXIDE {OXIDANT}, CALCIUM SALTS, SULFATES, PHOSPHATES, AND AMMONIUM SALTS), DOUGH STRENGTHENERS (SODIUM AND/OR CALCIUM-2-STEAROYL LACTYLATE OR ETHOXYLATED MONO- AND DIGLYCERIDES), DOUGH SOFTENERS ( MONO- AND DIGLYCERIDES, AND/OR PROTEASE ENZYME), MOLD INHIBITOR (CALCIUM PROPIONATE), PRESERVATIVE (POTASSIUM SORBATE), OXIDATION REDUCTION ADDITIVES (ASCORBIC ACID, POTASSIUM/CALCIUM IODATE, ALPHA-AMYLASE, AZODICARBONAMIDE), LEAVENING AGENT (MONOCALCIUM PHOSPHATE).

Ingredient Listing for Reduced-Fat Mayonnaise
WATER, SOYBEAN OIL, CORN SYRUP, EGG WHITES, DISTILLED VINEGAR, MODIFIED FOOD STARCH, SALT, SUGAR, SPICE, XANTHAN GUM, MUSTARD FLOUR, SODIUM BENZOATE AND POTASSIUM SORBATE AS PRESERVATIVES, LEMON JUICE, POLYSORBATE 60, CALCIUM DISODIUM EDTA TO PROTECT FLAVOR, OLEORESIN PAPRIKA, SODIUM CITRATE, ANNATTO COLOR, MONO AND DIGLYCERIDES.  
PostPosted: Mon Aug 17, 2009 6:42 am
The didn't claim it be a "Vegan" Burger, clearly it is a "Veggie Burger" since the burger itself it made from veggies. It's not a "vegan" burger, because that is not what they were going for. e_e  

winter rat

Sakakikala

4,550 Points
  • Gaian 50
  • Person of Interest 200
  • Citizen 200
PostPosted: Wed Aug 19, 2009 11:49 am
It still seems like false advertising. *twitches* I guess we should all just go to denny's and order a bocaburger as a revolt ,lol. (but they are only vegetarian, they contain eggs too. crying )  
PostPosted: Wed Aug 19, 2009 1:51 pm
I wouldn't eat a veggie burger at BK, anyway. When you buy something from there, you are contributing to what they buy from the meat industry. Just stick with not buying anything from fast food restraunts. XD lol That is what I do since I eat all organic foods. (Ecofriendly hippie 3nodding )
Peace and Love,
Sazzie heart  

Sazzie Lotus Song

Captain Fagbox

PostPosted: Tue Aug 25, 2009 4:38 pm
User Image

I'm unable to eat wheat, therefore it doesn't apply to me. Also, it's probably full of grease and cooked in the same spot as the other burgers.
lol

User Image

PostPosted: Sun Sep 06, 2009 7:52 am
Sazzie Lotus Song
I wouldn't eat a veggie burger at BK, anyway. When you buy something from there, you are contributing to what they buy from the meat industry. Just stick with not buying anything from fast food restraunts. XD lol That is what I do since I eat all organic foods. (Ecofriendly hippie 3nodding )
Peace and Love,
Sazzie heart

I think some one should open a chain of vegan/vegetarian/organic fast food resturants! The we wouldn't have to worry about this sort of thing. whee  

berryCherry1332

2,900 Points
  • Dressed Up 200
  • Autobiographer 200
  • Signature Look 250

pinkcatminht

PostPosted: Fri Sep 18, 2009 8:35 pm
misfit baby
The didn't claim it be a "Vegan" Burger, clearly it is a "Veggie Burger" since the burger itself it made from veggies. It's not a "vegan" burger, because that is not what they were going for. e_e
did you read the article? it's not even technically vegetarian.  
PostPosted: Tue Sep 22, 2009 9:42 pm
I think the main point was to appeal to those who want something healthier besides beef. In reality this isn't too healthy either, but it still sells because it appeals to gullible folks who think they are doing something good for themselves.

I was pretty disappointed to find out that my morningstar veggie burgers aren't even "technically" vegetarian. sad Now I have like, almost 20 sitting in the fridge. I'm still transitioning so I think I will be alright, but STILL!

You have to be so careful when buying things. I think once I become vegan I will avoid fast food entirely. Cross contamination happens too often.  

Lady Callie G

8,900 Points
  • Overstocked 200
  • Tycoon 200
  • Money Never Sleeps 200

Sgt_Psych

PostPosted: Mon Feb 01, 2010 2:26 am
I'm blessed to live where I am Because I llive near a restaurant that specifically caters to Vegans and Vegetarians cool so i don't have to settle for that mainstream fastfood manufactured crap  
PostPosted: Wed Feb 03, 2010 7:12 am
Gross. I avoid walking by fast food places - the smell! How can a Vegetarian possibly eat in a place like that? It's torture.  

Nicola Six

Emerald Zombie

Dedicated Player

PostPosted: Wed Feb 03, 2010 9:28 am
Egg whites are different from the egg yolk. Egg yolk is the chick, the whites are technically just the vitamins so the yolk can grow into a chick. But I do agree it is not vegan. Veggie doesn't mean vegan either, it just includes vegetables. Even the veggie burgers in a food mart are made of egg whites. If you honestly want vegan burgers, use tofu and look for a recipe. That's what I did. ;]  
PostPosted: Thu Feb 04, 2010 4:58 pm
Emerald Zombie
Egg whites are different from the egg yolk. Egg yolk is the chick, the whites are technically just the vitamins so the yolk can grow into a chick.

Yolk is the nutrient sac that the chick uses throughout development. It doesn't "become" the chick; it's absorbed at the chick grows. It's the part of the egg that contains all the nutrients, which is why you'll see duck eggs, as containers for precocial chicks, will have much, much larger yolks. The white is considered more protection and cushion.  

Ailinea
Vice Captain

Astrox

PostPosted: Fri Feb 05, 2010 10:22 pm
Nicola Six
Gross. I avoid walking by fast food places - the smell! How can a Vegetarian possibly eat in a place like that? It's torture.

I agree. It's a nasty odor.  
PostPosted: Sat Feb 06, 2010 12:35 pm
Yves' 'good' veggie burger is vegan and tasty. Also BK's buns aren't vegan anyway.  

Tandahda

Guild of Vegans and Vegetarians

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff