Submit

Fushigi na Butterfly

High-functioning Businesswoman

7,000 Points
  • Swap Meet 100
  • Millionaire 200
  • Tycoon 200
PostPosted: Mon Aug 03, 2009 6:57 pm
So, while doing a search on Blue Letter Bible for some ways that the phrase "God is" is completed throughout the Bible, I came across this verse:

Numbers 23:19
God is not a man, that he should lie, nor a son of man, that he should change his mind. Does he speak and then not act? Does he promise and not fulfill?

Now, I've looked at the rest of the context of the chapter, the verses that come before and after it, and I can't help but be struck by the very first part of it: God is not a man. God is not a son of man.

If Jesus is supposed to be God, then He could not be fully man, because this verse says God is not a man (regardless of the qualifying statement that follows). If Jesus is supposed to be God, then He could not be a son of man (as He is often referred to as the Son of Man- human).

Am I just misunderstanding the point here, or is there something to be said for the statement this verse is making about who and what God is and isn't?

PostPosted: Tue Aug 04, 2009 10:47 am
God does not have the same NATURE as man. The nature that feels the need to build up then utterly destroy everything he's made. We lie, cheat, steal, make false promises and then often feel very little guilt or remorse afterward. God does none of those things. His yes means yes, his no means no, and all of his promises are solid.

At least that's what the verse is saying to me. It's just showing yet another difference between creator and creation.  

The Amazing Ryuu
Captain

freelance lover
Crew

PostPosted: Tue Aug 04, 2009 11:29 am
Bah, Ryuu beat me too it. I'd take it the same way as the "created in God's image" thing. It doesn't mean we look like him, it means we have the same nature, although that's an interesting contradiction to this verse. Of course, neither verse says we're completely different from God either.

Or maybe the verse means.... God is a woman. blaugh

PostPosted: Wed Aug 05, 2009 2:08 am
Ah, yeah, I guess that makes sense. sweatdrop A note about the difference in our natures. 3nodding  

Fushigi na Butterfly

High-functioning Businesswoman

7,000 Points
  • Swap Meet 100
  • Millionaire 200
  • Tycoon 200

Atreadia Allaani

PostPosted: Wed Aug 05, 2009 11:24 pm
Fushigi na Butterfly
So, while doing a search on Blue Letter Bible for some ways that the phrase "God is" is completed throughout the Bible, I came across this verse:

Numbers 23:19
God is not a man, that he should lie, nor a son of man, that he should change his mind. Does he speak and then not act? Does he promise and not fulfill?

Now, I've looked at the rest of the context of the chapter, the verses that come before and after it, and I can't help but be struck by the very first part of it: God is not a man. God is not a son of man.

If Jesus is supposed to be God, then He could not be fully man, because this verse says God is not a man (regardless of the qualifying statement that follows). If Jesus is supposed to be God, then He could not be a son of man (as He is often referred to as the Son of Man- human).

Am I just misunderstanding the point here, or is there something to be said for the statement this verse is making about who and what God is and isn't?
I think you are taking things out of context here. The passage is speaking about human tendencies to lie and forsake promises. God is not like us humans in that He actually keeps His word. He doesn't lie, or forget the promises He makes.

Jesus was the incarnation, the express image, of God (who is a Spirit, and no man can see Him). He was 100% God, and 100% human.

I Timothy 3:16

And without controversy great is the mystery of godliness: God was manifest in the flesh, justified in the Spirit, seen of angels, preached unto the Gentiles, believed on in the world, received up into glory.

Great is the mysteriously indescribable ways of God. He (God) was manifest (made known and knowable) in the flesh (He took on human form, feelings, thought, and nature), He (God) was justified (shown to have sufficient lawful reason for an act {manifestation} done) in the Spirit, He (God) was seen of angels, He (God) was preached unto the Gentiles (Read the Book of Acts. Jesus (God) was preached unto the Jews and the Gentiles as was foretold by the prophets of the Old Testament), He (God) was believed on in the world (Again, read Acts for a concise rundown of the actions of the Apostles), and He (God) was received up into Glory.  
Bible Discussion {Get in the Word}

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff
Gaia's Games