Welcome to Gaia! ::

The Music Artists of Gaia

Back to Guilds

A musician's guild! 

Tags: musicians, music, instruments, bands 

Reply The Music Artists Guild
Post Your Recording Get-ups (also recording cheap)

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Sarcasmics

PostPosted: Fri Jul 31, 2009 8:00 pm
Well, after perusing the guild forum a bit I thought a thread about Recording Setups following on the heels of this would be nice... being a bit of a audiotech myself I thought this would provide a great opportunity to build a shred of community around something that binds the lot of us (aside from actually playing the music) Recording!

I have a resource that I'm developing for an inexpensive home recording studio. Just a little log about my experience with it over the years at www.soundgadget.net. There you can find a couple things (guide still in it's infancy) like an EQ Cheat Sheet that I drew up, some equipment recommendations, as well as commons troubles I've encountered along the way. I hope you beginner audio engineers might find it a bit useful. *shrug*

Anyways more on topic: My personal set-up :

A detailed description of everything can be found here: http://www.soundgadget.net/2009/06/my-recording-setup.html

But basically it's:

DAW: ACID PRO 5, SONAR 7, and Linux's Ardour

EDITING: Free Audacity, NCH and WAVE software

LOOPING and REMIXING: REASON, Fruity Loops

Audio Interface: Tascam US-224, Lexicon Alpha, (soon to be Mackie Onyx)

Mixer/DI: Audiobuddy DI and Yamaha MG16/4

Outboard FX/Sends: (Currently my rack is pretty empty and work exclusively with VSTs... my next purchase however is going to be a physical reverb and compressor)

Monitors: Philips

Guitar/Bass Modeling & DI: Boss GT-10, Line6 POD X3 Live, POD 2.0

Midi Controlling/Synth: Korg Triton LE, Casio Privia

Headphones: Sony MDR Studio Monitors

Microphones: 4 Shure SM57s, a Digital Reference DR-CX1, a MXL 900 and 901, a Sennheiser e835, the Shure Beta 52, and a AKG 120, GrooveTube and soon to be Sterling Audio ST-70

... and an array of instruments.

I've had a couple years of experience doing this, but absolutely no degree, no formal education, and little credibility when it comes to recording... (fyi the guys that come factory sealed out of Audio Engie colleges probably HATE me for how I do things) but if you have any questions ask and I'll tell you what I think! =)  
PostPosted: Sat Aug 01, 2009 5:10 am
yes, ur rich, we get the point  

Old Fashion Cliche

Handsome Genius

Sarcasmics

PostPosted: Sat Aug 01, 2009 10:00 am
On This Night
yes, ur rich, we get the point

[Edit: Emotion Raging here] /end  
PostPosted: Sat Aug 01, 2009 8:04 pm
99% of this guild probably dont break $100. at best i might spend $200 this fall booking a recording studio...if i have the time and money.  

Old Fashion Cliche

Handsome Genius

iBullet_Xx

PostPosted: Sat Aug 01, 2009 8:22 pm
Good Lord
Might as damn well book a recording studio
Dammmmm
=P

PostPosted: Sat Aug 01, 2009 8:23 pm
On This Night, your comment was clearly uncalled for. You have a history of being rude, whether you would like to admit it or not, and I would really appreciate drama being kept to a maximum of none in the guild if possible. As you seem to want a crew position badly enough, please keep this in mind.

Sarcasmics, I understand your reaction to his comment and that's fine, but please try not to fuel any possible fires. If you continue to have problems with any of the members, including unnecessarily rude ones, please contact me, and I will have a word with them.

_Riyo_
Vice Captain

Sarcasmics

PostPosted: Sun Aug 02, 2009 12:27 am
_Riyo_
On This Night, your comment was clearly uncalled for. You have a history of being rude, whether you would like to admit it or not, and I would really appreciate drama being kept to a maximum of none in the guild if possible. As you seem to want a crew position badly enough, please keep this in mind.

Sarcasmics, I understand your reaction to his comment and that's fine, but please try not to fuel any possible fires. If you continue to have problems with any of the members, including unnecessarily rude ones, please contact me, and I will have a word with them.

Sorry _Riyo_, you're really right... coming back to this reread these posts I can see how I came off really snobbish =/

Either way, let me right this in saying that I meant for this thread to centralize around developing recording techniques and building an inexpensive but functional studio. My setup, as On This Night does unduly point out, is a bit more on the posh side... eh, pushing unreasonable for a hobby BUT like everyone here well knows you tend to over-invest in your interests sometimes. I don't own a thousand dollar guitar, but instead I budget my hard-earned paychecks on developing my studio.

Ok, with that said, hahaha Bullet you don't know how right you are!! At a studio you'll achieve a 1000 times better sound then with a home rig. Ever, nuff said. Hell, it'll definitely be more commercial sounding!

Despite that though, recording is a facet of many musicians lives. Although it does range drastically. To some it's non-existent, and for others its more than just a means of writing down thoughts - its a passion!  
PostPosted: Sun Aug 02, 2009 12:35 am
On This Night
99% of this guild probably dont break $100. at best i might spend $200 this fall booking a recording studio...if i have the time and money.

Boils down to dedication, drive, and desire. I'm 20, work part-time, and go to school. I'm not a great musician... hell, I'd venture to say I can't hold a candle to a fourth of this guild but I love music and I frickin love recording!

...$200 for studio will get you about 1 song done. @ about $70/hr including engineering (if they master for you too thats another 2-5 hours) you'll be lucky to get those tracks pounded out.

It also heavily depends on studio quality and how many musicians you have. At a studio I've worked with they'll usually bring the drummer in morning and then bring bass, guitar/other instruments, then the singer in separately unless the band specifically requests to record together for the sake of 'energy'. Either way you can really wind up racking up the hours.

Not saying it's a bad idea, just saying.  

Sarcasmics

Old Fashion Cliche

Handsome Genius

PostPosted: Sun Aug 02, 2009 6:48 pm
i simply said she's rich and that most this guild is not.  
The Music Artists Guild

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff
Gaia's Games