Welcome to Gaia! ::

Gaian Art Mentors

Back to Guilds

Where artists are paired in a mentor/mentee fashion to share their knowledge. 

Tags: artists, mentor, mentee, learning, drawing 

Reply Sketchbooks [Get crits here! Open to everyone]
Lion Cub - coloring critique needed.

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Jellicle Moon

Shameless Exhibitionist

10,300 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Cats vs Dogs 100
  • Bunny Hoarder 150
PostPosted: Fri Jul 31, 2009 9:56 am

So, I'm trying out a new program for digital coloring. Sai Paint Tool. a lot of people have spoke highly of it, and I'm inclined to agree. However, I don't think I'm quite grasping this new style of coloring that I'm trying to develop. Granted, the picture is cartoony- but I was hoping to develop a feeling of semi-realistic fur.

What I think I need is a fur tutorial, and deviant art has been less than forthcoming.

So, if anyone has some coloring tips or suggestions, I would love to hear them.

He's not quite done at this point, I need to go back and add in a few more shadows/highlights (especially on the shadow on the floor). but I'm really having troubles making him look more defined.

Thanks for the help everyone.

User Image

This image was created 100% by mouse. My tablet should be arriving in the next few days.
PostPosted: Fri Jul 31, 2009 11:04 am

Ah I love SAI it's awesome xD

Aaanyway - after adding the highlights and what not it should be more defined. Generally for fur I use around a 10.2 size of the pen. I generally work very large so this makes it looks really wispy and soft. With the tablets pressure it should be even easier. You set the min size to about 30 or 50 so you get that nice tapered edge as you release the pen.

I'd add a darker shade as well where the shadows fall just to give it more substance. And a little ways in from the edges of his back and face (once you've laid down all the shadows) add small highlight hairs to pick up a secondary light.

((work from the shadows to the highlights - add the very bright white highlights last on the front))

using the pen tool at such a small measure will give a very crisp line -sometimes too crisp. So on parts that I want to be softer I either blur at strategic points or go back with a light or dark color but giant pen size on low density. I don't generally use the aribrush or watercolor tools.... just the pen tool.

All in all - i'd go darker so he doesn't belnd in so deeply with the background - i think that's what's mainly making him look so undefined.

Cute kitty and I wish you lots of luck with SAI - like I said I'm in love with it and I've used Gimp, Opencanvas and Photoshop.

Rags of Ash

Laila Izuka

Agile Paladin

13,025 Points
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • Firestarter 200
  • Senpai's Notice 100
PostPosted: Fri Jul 31, 2009 1:58 pm

He looks great so far. I'm impressed that you managed to do all that with just a mouse.

But as for making the fur looking more realistic (I've never used SAI, but if these tools are in there, try 'em out) try using the smudge tool, it should make it look more realistic, as the fur color will get thinner as you move the tool outwards.

As for fur brushes, why not try making your own??? There are some tutorials out there in deviantart that teach you how to make different brushes. They'll say things like getting a picture with the fur tone you want, and use that to make a custom brush.

But I wish you good luck in finishing your piece, and SAI :3
PostPosted: Sat Aug 01, 2009 10:23 am

Thanks for the input, both of you.

I don't know if I have the heart to go back to this picture, but I'm definitely going to apply everything you've told me to my next one. This guy's just too small for even the small brushes to really make a detailed impact.

Again, thank you. I'll be sure to stick my next image up in here too for your skilled eyes to work over. Though don't be surprised if my next thread is me bitching about my new tablet and not coloring related. lol

Jellicle Moon

Shameless Exhibitionist

10,300 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Cats vs Dogs 100
  • Bunny Hoarder 150

Rags of Ash

PostPosted: Sat Aug 01, 2009 6:22 pm

xD No problem - tablets are difficult in the beggining. I actually started with a tablet that was glitchy so when it actually started to work it freaked me out rofl

Can't wait to see what you do with it!!!! Sai + Tablet = heart

Yeeah I tried to do a paintover of this lil guy to try and help you when I gave critique buuuut I was like "er - I - can't go any smaller" xD Bigger is better!!! I use the A4 setting when creating a new canvas. It should be on the presets line when creating a new one. I change the "resolution" to at least 600 pixels buuuut you don't have to do that. I just find 300 iffy.
Sketchbooks [Get crits here! Open to everyone]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff
Gaia's Games