Welcome to Gaia! ::

Pagan Fluffy Rehabilitation Center

Back to Guilds

Educational, Respectful and Responsible Paganism. Don't worry, we'll teach you how. 

Tags: Pagan, Wicca, Paganism, Witchcraft, Witch 

Reply Pagan Fluffy Rehabilitation Center
Dianic Witchcraft? Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Alice Morbid

PostPosted: Thu Jul 30, 2009 11:46 am
It was mentioned here on the forums and I wanted to look into it. However, many things I find that look legit have been wrong ^^: I have been doing a bit of reading on it though.
I was wondering: 1.Is it oathbound? 2. Does anybody have really good links to it? and 3.Is it Dianic "witchcraft" or "wicca"? Sure they could mean close to the same things, but small differences sometimes offend people ^^;  
PostPosted: Thu Jul 30, 2009 12:48 pm
I believe it's "Witchcraft." Wicca refers to a specific lineaged and oathbound fertility cult.  

Gho the Girl

Musical_Vampire_Socks

27,300 Points
  • The Sweetest 250
  • Bunny Spotter 50
  • Converting 100 items 100
PostPosted: Thu Jul 30, 2009 2:55 pm
Gho the Girl
I believe it's "Witchcraft." Wicca refers to a specific lineaged and oathbound fertility cult.

Just to say I don't agree that Wicca is a fertility cult but that is just me...  
PostPosted: Thu Jul 30, 2009 3:30 pm
Musical_Vampire_Socks
Gho the Girl

I'm sorry you disagree, but that is indeed what it is.

CuAnnan

Wicca is a(n)

* Orthopraxic
* mystery tradition
* gender polarised initiatory
* priestess of specific Gods
* oathbound
* witchcult

Lance Kibagari

Musical_Vampire_Socks

27,300 Points
  • The Sweetest 250
  • Bunny Spotter 50
PostPosted: Thu Jul 30, 2009 3:45 pm
Lance Kisgyr
Musical_Vampire_Socks
Gho the Girl

I'm sorry you disagree, but that is indeed what it is.

Wicca is a(n)

* Orthopraxic
* mystery tradition
* gender polarised initiatory
* priestess of specific Gods
* oathbound
* witchcult

I'm just saying that fertility cult suggests that sex is required for one if not all of the initiator/dedication levels which is not true for all Wiccan covens. I consider Wiccan covens that require intercourse for initiation/dedication wrong and I know several covens were it is not required. I just don't want wicca stereotyped.

I don't know for sure if the founder of wicca was a good person or bad person because I was not their but I know several wiccans and they are good people I don't think people should label wicca as a bad thing just because what kind of person they consider its founder and their for label the people that follow that path as either all bad or even all good. Just like their are all different types of people in the world all different types of people follow wicca.

And even if the founder of wicca was considered world wide a bad person doesn't mean that everything that he did was bad just like if he was consider world wide a good person doesn't mean everything he did was good either. I think that their is some good and bad in everyone even if its deep inside because I believe in balance but I also believe that their is a gray area which is where I seem to be finding myself right now......  
PostPosted: Thu Jul 30, 2009 3:47 pm
I think it's "witchcraft".  

buttercup027

Lance Kibagari

PostPosted: Thu Jul 30, 2009 3:53 pm
Musical_Vampire_Socks

I'm just saying that fertility cult suggests that sex is required for one if not all of the initiator/dedication levels which is not true for all Wiccan covens.

If it's a true Wiccan coven, it is.
Quote:
I consider Wiccan covens that require intercourse for initiation/dedication wrong

Well, then you consider Wicca wrong, because to my knowledge the third degree initiaion requires intercourse.
Quote:
and I know several covens were it is not required.

These are not Wiccan. Wicca is ORTHOPRAXIC. One must PRACTICE it properly; beliefs are secondary at best.
Quote:
I just don't want wicca stereotyped.

Nor do the actual Wiccans on Gaia, few as they may be.
Quote:
I don't know for sure if the founder of wicca was a good person or bad person

What bearing does this have on his religion?
Quote:
I don't think people should label wicca as a bad thing

I don't think people should attach misconceptions to Wicca based on Silver Ravenwolf and company. Guess what? They still do anyway.
Quote:
just because what kind of person they consider its founder and their for label the people that follow that path as either all bad or even all good.

What? This makes no bloody sense.

Wicca's initiatory rite requiring sexual contact has nothing to do with how people see Gerald Gardner. Sorry, but that's the way it is. If you want to continue arguing about this, I suggest you go read THIS first:

Wiccan FAQ - AKA Triste Gonna Give It To Ya  
PostPosted: Thu Jul 30, 2009 5:02 pm
I've heard it called Dianic Wicca, though it's been determined that it's not really Wicca since they don't follow the basics of Wicca.

Musical_Vampire_Socks: Wicca requires for the 1st degree kissing of the genitals, and intercourse for the 3rd degree. And I don't really see what Gardner being a good or bad person has to do with anything, unless you're implying that he's bad because he requires sexual actions in his religion?  

kage no neko

Invisible Phantom

8,500 Points
  • Bunny Spotter 50
  • Bunny Hunter 100
  • Bunny Hoarder 150

Violet Song jat Shariff
Crew

Resilient Raider

7,200 Points
  • Tycoon 200
  • Citizen 200
  • Gaian 50
PostPosted: Thu Jul 30, 2009 8:57 pm
Musical_Vampire_Socks

I'm just saying that fertility cult suggests that sex is required for one if not all of the initiator/dedication levels which is not true for all Wiccan covens.

Intercourse is only a requirement for third degree initiation. First and second involve sexual elements for sure.
And yes, ALL Wiccan covens that can properly claim the title use the same core to their initiation rites.
Quote:
I consider Wiccan covens that require intercourse for initiation/dedication wrong and I know several covens were it is not required. I just don't want wicca stereotyped.

That's nice, but what you consider doesn't actually affect what Wicca is and does.
If it's not your bag, no one is forcing you to be Wiccan.
How is it stereotyping Wicca when that's what it really is?
"Coven" doesn't refer only to Wiccan groups. It is also used by groups of witches and ENPs. So perhaps the covens you are aware of are Eclectic Neo-pagan covens rather than Wiccan covens?

Quote:
I don't know for sure if the founder of wicca was a good person or bad person because I was not their but I know several wiccans and they are good people

As do I.
There are also some shitty ones out there.
It's kind of like any other faith.
Quote:
I don't think people should label wicca as a bad thing just because what kind of person they consider its founder

I'm sorry, I don't recall anyone saying that Wicca was bad confused
Are you equating acts of a sexual nature with bad?

Quote:
And even if the founder of wicca was considered world wide a bad person doesn't mean that everything that he did was bad just like if he was consider world wide a good person doesn't mean everything he did was good either. I think that their is some good and bad in everyone even if its deep inside because I believe in balance but I also believe that their is a gray area which is where I seem to be finding myself right now......

I have no idea how this relates to the topic it hand.  
PostPosted: Thu Jul 30, 2009 11:00 pm
kage no neko
I've heard it called Dianic Wicca, though it's been determined that it's not really Wicca since they don't follow the basics of Wicca.

Musical_Vampire_Socks: Wicca requires for the 1st degree kissing of the genitals, and intercourse for the 3rd degree. And I don't really see what Gardner being a good or bad person has to do with anything, unless you're implying that he's bad because he requires sexual actions in his religion?

Thank you ^^ But.. does anybody here know if it's oathbound? I haven't read anything yet to say that it is.. but, I read a bit on wicca too before I was told that it is oathbound.  

Alice Morbid

Lance Kibagari

PostPosted: Thu Jul 30, 2009 11:04 pm
Succubus Sovereign

Thank you ^^ But.. does anybody here know if it's oathbound? I haven't read anything yet to say that it is.. but, I read a bit on wicca too before I was told that it is oathbound.

Much of Wicca is oathbound, but outer court material is not.  
PostPosted: Thu Jul 30, 2009 11:24 pm
Lance Kisgyr
Succubus Sovereign

Much of Wicca is oathbound, but outer court material is not.

thanks ^-^  

Alice Morbid

Alice Morbid

PostPosted: Thu Jul 30, 2009 11:29 pm
Gho the Girl

thank you ^^  
PostPosted: Fri Jul 31, 2009 7:23 am
I was just rambling anyway I will believe what I want to believe even if you think its wrong and you believe what you believe. lol  

Musical_Vampire_Socks

27,300 Points
  • The Sweetest 250
  • Bunny Spotter 50

saint dreya
Crew

8,750 Points
  • Megathread 100
  • Mark Twain 100
  • Happy Birthday! 100
PostPosted: Fri Jul 31, 2009 10:07 am