review: WD 356

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Hoxtalicious

Greedy Partner

PostPosted: Wed Jul 29, 2009 3:38 pm
Generally speaking this is the UK* / NE** version however seeing as the WD is written centrally the content will be the same in the US*** and OZ****.

* United Kingdom / England / Dear Old Blighty
** Northern Europe = Netherlands, Belgium, Luxembourg, Denmark, Sweden, Norway and other countries able to speak and understand English because they don't dub everything they come across
*** United States / America / Yankee Town / The Good Ol' South
**** Oceania = Australia, New Zealand and other prison colonies of semi-importance

+ + +

What does the cover promise?
Tanks, Planetary Empires, the Last March of the Ents and war machines.

Editorial?
I've noticed that Mark Lantham is a poor man's Fat Bloke. He goes on about campaigns, the new tanks and not much else.

BORING.

Monthly Releases
A big month for 40k with two new tank kits: Demolisher and Hellhound. Also we've got a "How to Paint Citadel Tanks" guide, Blastscape terrain, Planetary Empires and Hive City tiles for Planetary Empires. In the hobby section the Citadel water pot and the Citadel palette make their general appearance.

There are three novels out this month: the Ravenor omnibus, Grey Seer by C.L. Werner and Emperor's Mercy by the new BL miracle child Henry Zou.

FW shows off the Reaver Titan..

News
Space Wolves are slated for October.

New bitz packs:
- LR Crusader sprues
- Leman Russ turret sprue
- Crashed Aquila Lander (from battle for Macragge)

A new Warhammer World exclusive game is revealed: Bugman's Game, about drunk dwarfs trying to get beers

Articles
A massive article on Planetary Empires, giving a basic introduction with an explanation of the special tiles. Later on in the issue we're treated to the Studio map.

Tactica Imperialis: an eight page tactics article centred around how to win with the new Guard codex. Pretty horrible, mostly puts a focus on the new stuff and the overly expensive options.

A short article on how to use war machines in fantasy, it's okay if a bit too short.

War of the Ring has a battle report centred around the Last March of the Ents.

Then a pathetic tank "workshop" that mostly shouts "buy the new how to paint" book.

Finally we've got a handy guide to painting odd faces such as dark skin, ageing, Orks, femals and facial hair. Best article of the bunch and well worth a read.

NEXT MONTH
Azhag the Slaughterer for Warhammer Fantasy, Straken and Harker for 40k, continuation of the Studio campaign and Jervis is kicking off a new article series about custom scenarios..

Verdict?
Standard GW prose extolling how great the hobby can be. Jervis' article was especially hypocritical and bile inducing. About the only good thing that justifies the purchase is the advanced face painting guide.  
PostPosted: Wed Jul 29, 2009 4:06 pm
Quote:
Tactica Imperialis: an eight page tactics article centred around how to win with the new Guard codex. Pretty horrible, mostly puts a focus on the new stuff and the overly expensive options.

Not surprised...  

DarkElf27
Captain

Familiar Guildsman

11,250 Points
  • Guildmember 100
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • Elocutionist 200

Lady Blodwynn

Sexy Businesswoman

7,900 Points
  • Unleash the Beast 100
  • Guildmember 100
  • Brandisher 100
PostPosted: Thu Jul 30, 2009 12:16 am
I saw the painting article, it's pretty good. A sense of dread went through me when I saw that Jervis would be doing Battlefield Challenges. He can hardly string together an article that's fun to read! gonk  
PostPosted: Thu Jul 30, 2009 3:37 am
DarkElf27
Quote:

Not surprised...
Indeed, though I can understand why they do it. You need to sell those new upgrades and options. The severely overpriced heavy flamer has been lauded to hell in that article, along with the Storm Troopers for having AP3 weapons and other very basic tactics that were taught in the old 3rd edition Guard codex.

Lady Blodwynn
I saw the painting article, it's pretty good. A sense of dread went through me when I saw that Jervis would be doing Battlefield Challenges. He can hardly string together an article that's fun to read! gonk
Well dolly, you're not the only one who had a moment of unease. I also can't help but feel sorry for Jervis and his oblivious behaviour.  

Hoxtalicious

Greedy Partner

Lady Blodwynn

Sexy Businesswoman

7,900 Points
  • Unleash the Beast 100
  • Guildmember 100
  • Brandisher 100
PostPosted: Thu Jul 30, 2009 5:51 am
How can you feel sorry for an idiot who wilfully ruins what was once a great magazine? They need more guest writers filling in for him.  
Review Corner

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff
Gaia's Games