Reply 19. ✿ - - - Art And Graphics
Tips on drawing males

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

IrisIrene88

PostPosted: Sun Jul 26, 2009 7:37 pm
T.T I'm sorry for asking this, but does anyone have any tips on drawing males. The bodies are complicated for me, along with the hands x.x Please help if you can @.@! Sorry x.x!  
PostPosted: Mon Jul 27, 2009 6:19 am
I at least, use the same hands for boy and girl bodies. The real distinguisher is the torso area. Let me show you a sketch and maby that could help you...
Male Sketch
Notice how the body is more diagonal then straight down. I hope this helps^^  

Unending Shadows

5,350 Points
  • Autobiographer 200
  • Consumer 100
  • Window Shopper 100

Lieutenant Shotgun

PostPosted: Mon Jul 27, 2009 4:55 pm
I'm not the best at drawing guys, but some things I keep in mind are that guys have smaller hips and fewer curves, and they're hands are more masculine. With faces, I give them "sharper" eyes and heads.  
PostPosted: Mon Jul 27, 2009 5:04 pm
User Image

Here's a great anatomy tutorial for both male and female.
Hope this helps
And hands, if you're drawing anime style, I think you can get by with drawing the same.

Epicfied

Lieutenant Shotgun

PostPosted: Mon Jul 27, 2009 6:23 pm
Smexii-chan is right for the most part. Normally I give the guys shorter nails and define their knuckles more. Basically, women are "softer" than guys.  
PostPosted: Tue Jul 28, 2009 6:22 pm
Thank you so much everyone X3! Sorry I didn't respond sooner x.x

Unending Shadows: I kind of understood. But what you told me really helps^^! Thanks!

Lieutenant Shotgun: Thank you X3! That also helps me! I have to practice drawing and thinking that.

Smexii Error: Thank you for the tutorial X3! It looks like it will help me =)!  

IrisIrene88

Kiki Traum

Friendly Explorer

PostPosted: Fri Aug 14, 2009 4:18 pm
I advise looking up some tutorials that have male bodies in realism, then translate it into your own style.

I think hands are the last thing to worry about ... all of my characters have big hangs and thick fingers - they're more fun for me to draw that way ...  
PostPosted: Mon Aug 17, 2009 8:36 pm
With males, you want to make sure that the features are sharper. Thats the first thing. Generally speaking, men have broader shoulders, thicker necks and neck muscles, and fewer curves. They're much straighter, much blockier than women, so be careful not to make the waist too narrow or the hips to big. As stated earlier by a bunch of people, the hands and feet should be larger. The ears and nose will be slightly bigger (I think.Don't hold me to that one), but the eyes will be smaller. Men tend to have thicker eyebrows, or at least less sculpted ones, since most men don't pluck. Generally speaking, the more masculine you want a guy to look, the broader you want the shoulders and neck, and the thicker you want their limbs to be. If you want they guy to seem slight, or gangly, let the body taper of slightly.  

Tangerine_Monster

kyra-san

Shirtless Stalker

PostPosted: Sun Sep 20, 2009 10:18 am
I suck at drawing manly men. All the guys I draw are feminine. But I guess I kind of liek it better that way. <:  
PostPosted: Wed Nov 11, 2009 2:36 pm
You can find many amazing tutorials off of Devianart.

Here's how to find a lot of good ones without trying

Go to my deviantart account -->go to my favorites--> click on tutorials--> there you go, tons of tutorials that I found very useful and well done. I really need to actually do them so that my art becomes better. All I know is that you can't become good over night, it takes a lot of hard work, patience, maybe a few tears and diligence. Although I am not that great, I have seen a vast improvement of my skills over the past year and I'm sure you'll improve to.

Here's the link to-

My Devianart Account  

ashleyjordan

Beloved Worshipper

9,300 Points
  • Mark Twain 100
  • Tycoon 200
  • Forum Junior 100

runeshi

PostPosted: Wed Nov 25, 2009 7:19 pm
This is really good reference if you want to draw men http://Coelasquid.deviantart.com/art/Abdomination-How-to-draw-beef-132538271

Also I happened to draw a sketch that compares both men and women if you want to see http://tinypic.com/m/6hq5q8/4

there's lots of other refs on deviant art (I know others have said this too)

also also this has awesome stuff http://www.archive.org/stream/constructiveanat00briduoft#page/n0/mode/2up  
PostPosted: Sun Dec 06, 2009 12:50 pm
I do it pretty much straight down lol i find guys are somewhat easier then girls just for the fact that there is alot of curves lol ( i know i am a girl and girls always draw girls.. but for me it was always the guys that are easier)
Samples of how i draw guys

qtest_lil_angel

Mythical Seeker

19. ✿ - - - Art And Graphics

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas