Welcome to Gaia! ::

Pagan Fluffy Rehabilitation Center

Back to Guilds

Educational, Respectful and Responsible Paganism. Don't worry, we'll teach you how. 

Tags: Pagan, Wicca, Paganism, Witchcraft, Witch 

Reply Pagan Fluffy Rehabilitation Center
Polish Paganism...?

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

o sunflower king

PostPosted: Sun Jul 26, 2009 3:50 pm
"Because maybe... you're gonna find this place amazing."

I've been poking around for a path for a while now. Yesterday, I got really bored, and started thinking of other pantheons to look into.
Then, I started thinking about my roots, and researched Polish paganism. Immediately, as I read about the pantheon, I felt a pull towards it.
So, does anyone have any information on this path? Any help would be totally awesome.
Also, is this pantheon closed? It would suck if it was. sad

CND Forever! <3

PostPosted: Sun Jul 26, 2009 8:17 pm
Vitajte! Or as Poles say, witajcie!

Essentially, the first place to start for Polish paganism is where you would start for any Slavic pagan religion - look to the folk songs, stories, and traditions. Not much was left behind for us to dig up, and a lot of the source texts are foreign in origin and subject to whatever bias the author may have had.

I'm no expert on our pagan past however. A better person for information here would probably be Tea - I'm sure she'll post here whenever she has time. One thing that I really seriously suggest, is that you learn rudimentary Polish at the very least. For Slavs as a whole, our entire culture, history, and religion (old and new) is tied to language. It can be difficult, if not impossible, to understand some of the traditions if you can't understand the words we use to describe them. It can also be incredibly difficult to find folk songs and stories in English.

Na zdravie (good luck)!  

Collowrath

TeaDidikai

PostPosted: Sun Jul 26, 2009 9:42 pm
Collowrath
A better person for information here would probably be Tea - I'm sure she'll post here whenever she has time.
ninja

Like Collowrath suggested, the songs and folk tales are important. You have to keep in mind that when it comes to Slavic mythology, there wasn't a unified pantheon. The best way to describe it was a quilt of "Village"-specific ideas, deities and the like. What we mostly have in the way of mythology came largely from a political attempt at preserving cultural heritage just prior to Christian conversion of the Slavic states.

It isn't a closed pantheon or tradition.  
Pagan Fluffy Rehabilitation Center

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff
Gaia's Games