Submit

Lady Pica

Salty Wench

8,975 Points
  • Beta Explorer 0
  • Beta Gaian 0
  • Beta Citizen 0
PostPosted: Sat Jul 25, 2009 2:40 pm
Just a note before I start- This is actually a series of short stories that will connect later, so I figured I would just put them here. ^.^ Also, this one's kinda dark, but the next one is all bunnies and fluff.

Alexis

Alexis slammed the door, bracing herself against it before sliding down to prop her head in her hands. She was to a point where she didn’t know what to do. When her parents had screamed, the tears had flowed. Now, however- now all she could feel was a burning rage.

She had expected her parents to defend her, or at the very least offer some form of emotional support for their only daughter. Instead, they had tried to get her to pretend to be ‘normal,’ thinking if they wished hard enough, their dreams would come true. Even they could no longer hide from the truth, however. Alexis’ peers mocked her- her purple hair, her love of the violin, her somber attitude. Anything was fair game to those she had been in school with for the past thirteen years. Her classmates’ parents were no better- she had heard them whispering about the ‘odd girl’ who talked to no one.

Now, with a fresh start at college, her parents had started on her again. She swiped angry tears from her green eyes as she recalled the argument that had lead to her retreating to her room.
Her parents had a habit of turning on the radio during dinner. Usually, only music played, but tonight they had eaten late, during the news. The topic had turned to the Fallen, a debate of evolution and Creation leading to a discussion of laws and how those with ‘powers’ would be affected.
“We don’t need this garbage. Turn it off,” her father had stated, not looking up as he scooped more potatoes into his mouth.

Alexis tensed, knowing what was going to happen, but not able to stop herself before she spoke. “I want to hear it.”

Her father glared at her over his spoon, seeming to puff up as her mother stilled. “It doesn’t concern us,” he all but growled, shoving his chair out with a screech and standing to carry out his own order.

“It concerns me.” Alexis felt her blood drain, feeling like she had been plunged in icy water.

Her father had frozen, paling before a furious flush had risen to his face. “You aren’t like them; you aren’t a freak like those-!”

“I’m every bit the ‘freak’ those others are!” she had finally hissed furiously. She shot up from her seat, knocking it over in the process. “You can’t just ignore everything that doesn’t fit in to your perfect little world! Why can’t you just love me for who I am?”

Her father had looked stricken for all of two seconds before picking up his dish and slamming it angrily into the wall. Her mother shrieked, shielding her face from the bits of porcelain and food raining down.

“You aren’t like them!” he had roared, slamming his hand down on the table.

“I talk to dead people- I’ve had a poltergeist doing my chores for eight years now!” she had roared right back. She was sick of this- sick of holding her tongue, bowing to her parents’ wishes, hiding who she truly was. “I’m more like them than I’ve ever been like you!”

She had known as soon as the words left her lips that they were possibly the most hurtful things she could say at that moment. They all stared at one another before she had fled to the safety of her room, two words that held meant nothing but meant so much lingering behind her.

“I’m sorry.”

Alexis sighed and uncurled from the floor, sitting on her bed and opening the violin case that rested there. She tuned it thoughtfully, rosined her bow carefully, and set it to the strings. She played softly for herself, ignoring the whispers of the dead and their constant flickering at the corners of her eyes. They were easier to see and hear while she played, more persistent when she was more relaxed.

She closed her eyes, thinking of nothing but the notes that wound from her hands. She wouldn’t be here much longer, and she didn’t want her last memories of her childhood home to be something she wanted to forget.
School started in a few short weeks, and she still hadn’t told her parents she would be moving out. She had a full scholarship and a job waiting. She stopped, violin falling from her chin and bow resting in her lap. Someday, she wouldn’t be alone any more.

“Someday,” she sighed, only the dead hearing the single word that dropped like a prayer from her lips in the silent room.  
PostPosted: Sun Jul 26, 2009 7:22 pm
I like it smile I find it very intriguing, I want to know whats going to happen. There were two sentences that I had to read over because they didn't make sense right away, but then again that might be because I'm tired from 4 hours sleep XD  

Horsket

Lady Pica

Salty Wench

8,975 Points
  • Beta Explorer 0
  • Beta Gaian 0
  • Beta Citizen 0
PostPosted: Mon Jul 27, 2009 9:41 am
Wow, thanks! Which two sentences- I'd like to fix them if I can. I've been editing my own stuff, so I tend to gloss over things sometimes. ^.^;;  
Novels/Novellas

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff
Gaia's Games