Welcome to Gaia! ::

Gaian Art Mentors

Back to Guilds

Where artists are paired in a mentor/mentee fashion to share their knowledge. 

Tags: artists, mentor, mentee, learning, drawing 

Reply Gaian Art Mentors
Art Rut Cure?

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Taelune

Familiar Gaian

5,800 Points
  • Contributor 150
  • Person of Interest 200
  • Entrepreneur 150
PostPosted: Sat Jul 18, 2009 8:07 am
Okay I have been in an art rut for the longest time, I love to draw my own characters, but have been lost for poses and other such things, I want to start drawing interactions instead of just poses, does anyone know a cure for this kind of art rut?

I draw my characters because I am writing a book with my Fiance that I want to turn into a comic after I have practiced movement enough, I cannot use myself for reference poses because every time I do people say that the pictures are anatomically correct (I'm more flexible in my limbs than most people, for example I can pop my shoulder's freely out of socket and turn my arms backwards with no pain)

I would post this in my sketchbook, but as of late it seems not many of you are not active in the mentee threads.  
PostPosted: Sun Jul 19, 2009 7:29 pm
When in a rut, just draw anything. Literally. You're in a rut because you're only doing the same thing. Even if its your characters or someone else's it's still characters. Try drawing animals. Try drawing inanimate objects. Props. Landscape. Your room. Something on your desk. Your hand. Your shoe. The lightpost outside. Anything. Just draw.

I like to just scribble. I make each scribble spaced so that there are about 5 on the page, then I use each scribble as the main line in a face or head. Everything comes out differently and you're actually using your creativity rather than just doing what you do so much that you're not thinking while you do it.  

Errol McGillivray
Captain

Taelune

Familiar Gaian

5,800 Points
  • Contributor 150
  • Person of Interest 200
  • Entrepreneur 150
PostPosted: Mon Jul 20, 2009 8:53 pm
Lol! well...I kinda took that approach in a way, I drew my character with a friend's of mine. She requested a yuri of my and her characters sweatdrop

I just decided instead of constantly drawing a reference pose of my character to draw her in action, I personally do not think I'm good enough for that, but it is working for me right now, as well as coloring in a different fashion. I also am introducing a new character to my story, and he gives me a little practice with realism, because his head it basically a wolf skull, I'll scan it in when I get the chance, and hopefully I have improved...

Thanks for the advise though, I'll try to draw skulls when I am in a rut, that is usually my problem, Not to mention I want to draw a realistic picture of my character some time.  
PostPosted: Tue Jul 21, 2009 9:02 pm
I sometimes call up a friend and ask them a character that they had in mind or make up a character for me to do. They would describe it on the phone and i would draw it. Lol... (ive done that befor literally) mrgreen  

Copic-Kun

Supportive Browser

Kanove

PostPosted: Fri Jul 24, 2009 5:17 pm
Personally what I use to get out of an art rut is simply either a) music or b) a walk. Both help refresh your mind and clear it up a bit. What I do is I'll sketch at least a page or 2 of things I'm not good at per day, to expand my horizons. When your doing something such as a comic your going to get stuck sometimes because you will be repeating things. Anyways, just a thought.

Keep trying new things, clear your mind, and sometimes- pick up a different medium. Like I draw a lot, but I do photography as well and they balance each other creatively.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 24, 2009 6:43 pm
I can understand where your coming from Raeyu. Being an art major myself, i cant afford to be in art ruts when i have portfolios and artwork due dates the next day.

Here is what works for me:
1) Music, as Kanove said
2) looking for inspiration
-When i cant seem to find a particular pose i like, I look to comics, such as Michael Turner's work with the Fathom comics or any action poster from DC or Marvel. As long as you don't entirely the work it shouldn't be considered plagiarism to try the poses with your own characters and try something new
3) and also a good laugh or workout to clear the mind  

Otome Picasso

5,500 Points
  • Peoplewatcher 100
  • V-Day 2011 Event 100
  • Person of Interest 200

Taelune

Familiar Gaian

5,800 Points
  • Contributor 150
  • Person of Interest 200
  • Entrepreneur 150
PostPosted: Fri Jul 24, 2009 10:36 pm
Thanks guys, I'm gonna try to work with colored pencils instead of photo shop for a little bit, take a break and such, and try to draw some scenes from my and my Fiance's novel ^^ maybe it'll help a bit  
Gaian Art Mentors

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff
Gaia's Games