Welcome to Gaia! ::

Guild of Vegans and Vegetarians

Back to Guilds

Join vegetarians and supporters for discussion on health, cooking, and ethical issues! 

Tags: Food, Vegan, Vegetarian, Animal, Cooking 

Reply Guild of Vegans and Vegetarians
Trying to fix my health...

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Tweezle

PostPosted: Fri Jul 17, 2009 10:38 pm
I have been back and forth on vegetarianism for years, but my health is getting pretty awful-- bad numbers pretty much across the board-- and I figure one of the first things I can do to help that cholesterol number is to stop eating stuff with cholesterol (meat, eggs, dairy).

I am still cooking all that stuff for my family, though, and it's really hard on me to not have some myself, especially when I am getting compliments on how well a particular dish turned out. confused

I don't like factory farming, having seen the huge difference in how we raised our little flock of chickens when I was growing up (you know, no chemicals, no antibiotics, no feeding them the processed remains of other dead chickens) and having seen commercial operations, but that hasn't been quite enough to put me off of meat YET. The possibility of dying is starting to work, though.

Just kind of looking for some support. Or a kick in the butt. Whichever is more motivating.

Oh, on the positive side, I've gotten two cool vegetarian cookbooks recently-- Veganomicon and an Indian cookbook my mom picked up at a thrift shop-- so at least I have somewhere to turn when I am trying to figure out what to make.  
PostPosted: Mon Aug 17, 2009 6:48 am
User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.
"Orbis terrarum est non altus satis

( User Image )

Have your family go on it as well!
It will help them in the long run, they will eat healthier and they will be thanking you in the end, sure - it's hard to let it go, but just think on what you at least do towards the animals, right? Let them be your motivated.
If you're trying to lose weight, keep a food journal, drink lots of water and green tea. Three meals a day ; and exercise at least three times per week.
Give yourself an idea weight loss on what you want to lose, and take pictures of yourself weekly, to SEE your progress take action. 3nodding

User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.
The world is not high enough" James B.

winter rat

pinkcatminht

PostPosted: Fri Sep 18, 2009 8:45 pm
when you see something with meat, dairy etc. that you want, ask yourself what's more important: your health & the welfare of the animals that suffered, or a few moments of pleasure for your tastebuds? it shouldn't be all that hard to make that choice. just stick to your ethics & hopefully you'll be healthier in no time. biggrin  
Guild of Vegans and Vegetarians

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff
Gaia's Games