Welcome to Gaia! ::

Pagan Fluffy Rehabilitation Center

Back to Guilds

Educational, Respectful and Responsible Paganism. Don't worry, we'll teach you how. 

Tags: Pagan, Wicca, Paganism, Witchcraft, Witch 

Reply Pagan Fluffy Rehabilitation Center
Abortion and your beliefs Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Synnthetika

5,400 Points
  • Contributor 150
  • Dressed Up 200
  • Forum Regular 100
PostPosted: Thu Jul 16, 2009 3:52 pm
What is your personal belief/opinion on abortion?
Does your religion/belief system support your personal belief?
If not, how do you come to terms with balancing what your religion/belief system dictates and your personal opinion/belief?

(This is NOT intended to be a debate directly about abortion; if someone says their religion supports abortion and another member of that religion disagrees, then obviously an understanding of the religion and it's message is at hand. HOWEVER, it is inappropriate, I believe, to debate on the nature of abortion and its legality in this thread unless it is inherently related to what 'x' religion states. Also, but I don't think this will be an issue, personal attacks get you nowhere.)  
PostPosted: Mon Jul 20, 2009 8:36 am
Synnthetika
Ultimately the woman must be able to control her own body and make her own choices. That said, Abortion is a choice that forethought and effort can often avoid, and abortion should not be someone's idea of casual birth control.

Quote:
Yes and no. The role that family plays within my culture and the traditional religious perspective associated with it is incredibly important. That said, there are appropriate situations wherein ending a pregnancy is considered the best choice available.

There was legitamate concern that my Grandmother was not the product of my Great Grandparent's union because of what happened to my Baba during her time in the Camps. I cannot begin to fathom how my Baba pondered this issue. I know that in the end, because there was a chance it was her husband's and not that of the SS officers, she decided to keep it. She had a feeling that it was her husband's the moment she held Grandma in her arms.

The curious thing is that one of my cousins who is from Baba's second marriage tested positive for haplogroup H as part of a genographic study we participated in. It raises some questions about the ethnicity of her second husband.
Quote:

If not, how do you come to terms with balancing what your religion/belief system dictates and your personal opinion/belief?
Simply, I don't project my cultural or religious expectations onto others.

That would be insanely stupid, since outside of the Rroma, people don't follow the purity standards we live by.  

TeaDidikai

Synnthetika

5,400 Points
  • Contributor 150
  • Dressed Up 200
  • Forum Regular 100
PostPosted: Mon Jul 20, 2009 7:41 pm
TeaDidikai
Synnthetika
Ultimately the woman must be able to control her own body and make her own choices. That said, Abortion is a choice that forethought and effort can often avoid, and abortion should not be someone's idea of casual birth control.

Quote:
Yes and no. The role that family plays within my culture and the traditional religious perspective associated with it is incredibly important. That said, there are appropriate situations wherein ending a pregnancy is considered the best choice available.

There was legitamate concern that my Grandmother was not the product of my Great Grandparent's union because of what happened to my Baba during her time in the Camps. I cannot begin to fathom how my Baba pondered this issue. I know that in the end, because there was a chance it was her husband's and not that of the SS officers, she decided to keep it. She had a feeling that it was her husband's the moment she held Grandma in her arms.

The curious thing is that one of my cousins who is from Baba's second marriage tested positive for haplogroup H as part of a genographic study we participated in. It raises some questions about the ethnicity of her second husband.
Quote:

Simply, I don't project my cultural or religious expectations onto others.

That would be insanely stupid, since outside of the Rroma, people don't follow the purity standards we live by.

What does Baba mean? Where can I find information about the Rroma?

If she had known that her child was fathered by the SS officer do you think she would have terminated the pregnancy?  
PostPosted: Mon Jul 20, 2009 8:39 pm
Synnthetika
What does Baba mean?
The only translation I can offer amounts to "Honored Grandmother", which in the case of my family was applied to my Great Grandma.
Quote:

Where can I find information about the Rroma?
That's a bit like asking "Where can I find information about Americans?"

Can you narrow it down a little?

Quote:
If she had known that her child was fathered by the SS officer do you think she would have terminated the pregnancy?
Hard to say. Remember, this was before Roe v. Wade.  

TeaDidikai

Kitten Crescent Moon

Fatcat

PostPosted: Sun Aug 09, 2009 10:05 pm
Altimatly I think that abortian's right's and wrong's should be left up to the mother in my opinion she should think hard about her desicion because it's a big one. There are so many factors to be considered. But in my opinion someone should only do it if it is there only choice, only if nothing else can possibly be done  
PostPosted: Sun Aug 09, 2009 10:13 pm
Phoebe4448
Altimatly I think that abortian's right's and wrong's should be left up to the mother in my opinion she should think hard about her desicion because it's a big one. There are so many factors to be considered. But in my opinion someone should only do it if it is there only choice, only if nothing else can possibly be done
And where do the rights of the life inside her begin and end?

And what happens when you get that fraction of a population that abuses it, using it as birth control the way the rest of us use responsible methods at pregnancy prevention?  

TeaDidikai

saint dreya
Crew

8,750 Points
  • Megathread 100
  • Mark Twain 100
  • Happy Birthday! 100
PostPosted: Wed Aug 12, 2009 2:55 am
Synnthetika

My stance is a product of my mother and grandmother; I am pro-choice.

In many circumstances, I am torn over the rights of (generally) the three parties involved; the mother, the child, and the father.

I believe the mother has rights to what goes into, out of, and remains in her body. Forcing anyone to deliver to term, I feel, is tantamount to a raping of her rights to physical integrity.

The rights of the child, being a living being at the time, I do feel are worthy of thought and consideration. If at all possible, I would hope that the technology would occur that a viable fetus, in the womb of a woman who does not want it, could still be implanted in another or "raised" in a test tube to give that being the opportunity I believe it does deserve. Until that time, in the United States, a fetus is not given legal rights as it is not a person under the terminology set forth. Ergo, the mother's rights trump the fetus' at this point.

The father; perhaps this is just me being contrary, but what about his say? Yes, he doesn't get to carry the child, risk health and mental status to care for the child before even this country would recognize it as a person. But he did provide a contribution to said being and I would have, in an ideal world, his concerns broached and seriously considered.

Most of my position is based on the hope that a person considering abortion has weighed multiple possibilities, as well as doesn't hold this option as their primary, or even secondary, method of birth control (beyond the costs, what about side affects? Health issues?). My overall position is mostly based on the assumption that people would be responsible (naive, yes).

There are some circumstances though that I believe deserve a one off to contemplate if more than just this procedure is necessary (other birth control devices, further education, or significant therapy).

Synnthetika

It does neither. It emphasizes personal choice and responsibility.  
PostPosted: Wed Aug 12, 2009 5:44 am
ShadowSharrow
But for thousands of years abortion was the only contraception.

What? There have been all sorts of contraceptives throughout history. Maybe not effective (or nonlethal), but they were there.  

IH_Zero

TeaDidikai

PostPosted: Wed Aug 12, 2009 7:13 am
AngryRobotsInc.
ShadowSharrow

What? There have been all sorts of contraceptives throughout history. Maybe not effective (or nonlethal), but they were there.
Just listen to Fiddler's position on the herbal contraceptive that the Romans consumed to extinction. ninja  
PostPosted: Wed Aug 12, 2009 7:20 am
ShadowSharrow

Eve's Herbs: A History of Contraception and Abortion in the West, John M Riddle
http://www.islamonline.net/servlet/Satellite?c=Article_C&pagename=Zone-English-HealthScience/HSELayout&cid=1158321476806

So... when precisely where these thousands of years and what proof do you have to support this ridiculous claim?  

CuAnnan

Dapper Genius

5,875 Points
  • Person of Interest 200
  • Autobiographer 200
  • Dressed Up 200

TeaDidikai

PostPosted: Wed Aug 12, 2009 7:22 am
CuAnnan
ShadowSharrow

Eve's Herbs: A History of Contraception and Abortion in the West, John M Riddle
http://www.islamonline.net/servlet/Satellite?c=Article_C&pagename=Zone-English-HealthScience/HSELayout&cid=1158321476806

So... when precisely where these thousands of years and what proof do you have to support this ridiculous claim?
To say nothing of the numerous medicinal applications in the East.  
PostPosted: Thu Aug 13, 2009 7:14 am
Synnthetika

Well, though my personal belief is that abortion is fine for people who were raped and such. It is not for people who got themselves knocked up because they don't use their heads. Though, in my mind I tell myself I would never get an abortion...I am not entirely sure about that. I have never been faced with the issue. I do believe that it is a personal choice for the person. It is not my place to judge to judge someone on their personal decisions. I may not agree exactly but I don't how hard it was for them or how they came about to the final decision. My belief system is just to accept people and try not to judge them so harshly because we are all just human. And who am I, a 15 year old girl, to dictate what some one may or may not do with their life? This is just my opinion, no one please jump down my throat about this.

bobkitty1123

Kashaku-Tatsu

PostPosted: Thu Aug 13, 2009 8:44 am
Synnthetika

I believe it's the mother's decision what to do with her body. I don't advocate it as a form of birth control (as my husband may prattle on about) but more so if the mother or child wouldn't be able to withstand the pregnancy (for physical or mental health). Sure some women will abuse the right to terminate the pregnancy, tis nature for some. That doesn't mean they can make it illegal for anyone to do it, even if it means their life may be in danger (in case of a friend of mine in jr high, the baby was crushing her insides and doc said it was the only option). If you think about it those who would use abortion as a contraceptive will only end up doing it in back allies with coat hangers (as an example) or abusing different drugs/drinks/herbs to try to rid the child. If I could have a daughter and she were in that position I'd advocate for adoption over abortion, but I'd rather her do it in a sterile medical facility instead of a way that is more dangerous to her body (not that abortion techniques are without danger).

The path we follow doesn't have an opinion one way or another on the issue.  
PostPosted: Thu Aug 13, 2009 9:11 am
Under my path, it is not particularly cut and dry. If one feels it is the best choice in their situation, than it is Ma'at. If they feel it is not and do so anyway, than it isn't. It would be best to discuss it with the father, if he is involved, to prevent causing undue pain, but it is not absolutely necessary.

I do not profess to know whether or not preborn children have souls or not, but I personally feel that, no matter the reason, if abortion is the best choice for the mother, than that choice should be available to her.

This is all from my personal understanding of what is, and is not, Ma'at, however.  

IH_Zero

Pagan Fluffy Rehabilitation Center

Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces