Welcome to Gaia! ::

Gaian Art Mentors

Back to Guilds

Where artists are paired in a mentor/mentee fashion to share their knowledge. 

Tags: artists, mentor, mentee, learning, drawing 

Reply Mentor Threads [Dedicated Mentoring here!]
Sporkism. (Open!) Goto Page: 1 2 3 ... 4 5 6 7 8 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

The Titanium Spork

PostPosted: Wed Jul 15, 2009 10:04 am
User Image

Hi! Welcome, come on in! My name's Titanium.
My samples are here.

My strengths are:

- Teenagers and kids
- Guys and tomboys
- Pencil art
- Marker art
- Crow quills and inking in general
- Composition
- Color theory
- Perspective theory (can teach and demonstrate, but not applied in my work)
- Dynamic posing
- Shading (both the technical and stylistic aspects)

My weaknesses are:

- Girly girls
- Landscapes
- (still working on watercolor, so I'm not much good)

So, yeah, I'll take three mentees. I'm willing to critique, redline, and if you want, I can give assignments.
I need mentees to be driven, determined, willing to take critique, and unwilling to give up.
I used to draw anime, but the mentoring I'll give isn't gonna be really style-specific, so I'll take pretty much any style.
In other words, I can't teach you to draw shiny animu, but if that's what you draw, I can help you get better at drawing in general.

Current mentees:
- None
(Old mentees, post if you still want your spots!)

PostPosted: Thu Sep 03, 2009 3:25 am
Hi! I'm nightshade29 , and I'd love to be your mentee. I need help on about all of your strengths , lol.
Here are some samples:
musiique.deviantart.com. I only have five or six samles, sorry about that sweatdrop  

Purely Made

Wheezing Player

7,650 Points
  • Brandisher 100
  • Person of Interest 200
  • Risky Lifestyle 100

The Titanium Spork

PostPosted: Thu Sep 03, 2009 6:33 am
Awesome.
Accepted.

Don't worry about not having enough samples too much.

Mmkay, so, first, let's get your lifedrawing, and, as such your anatomy up to scratch.
Assignment 1

Go to, posemaniacs, pick a model of your choice, sketch it from observation, preferably with the muscles, and then show it to me.  
PostPosted: Thu Sep 03, 2009 1:35 pm
Okay , I'll show it to you when it's ready ^^  

Purely Made

Wheezing Player

7,650 Points
  • Brandisher 100
  • Person of Interest 200
  • Risky Lifestyle 100

The Titanium Spork

PostPosted: Thu Sep 03, 2009 9:26 pm
Mmmkay, awesome.  
PostPosted: Fri Sep 04, 2009 4:32 am
Oh , by the way , I've picked this pose ^^  

Purely Made

Wheezing Player

7,650 Points
  • Brandisher 100
  • Person of Interest 200
  • Risky Lifestyle 100

The Titanium Spork

PostPosted: Fri Sep 04, 2009 6:25 am
It's a good one. Glad to see you're challenging yourself.  
PostPosted: Sat Sep 05, 2009 7:19 am
Is it okay if I color the muscles in? Because then It's easier to see what are muscles and what aren't sweatdrop  

Purely Made

Wheezing Player

7,650 Points
  • Brandisher 100
  • Person of Interest 200
  • Risky Lifestyle 100

The Titanium Spork

PostPosted: Sat Sep 05, 2009 7:41 am
It's all muscle and tendon.

The thing is, I was gonna have you build on it. If you're doing this digitally or have tracing paper at home, then sure, otherwise, I'd have to make you do another sketch to build up from.  
PostPosted: Sat Sep 05, 2009 7:55 am
Okay ^^
And it's nearly fnished by the way. I'll probably be able to scan it up later today , if not , then tomorrow.

Purely Made

Wheezing Player

7,650 Points
  • Brandisher 100
  • Person of Interest 200
  • Risky Lifestyle 100

Purely Made

Wheezing Player

7,650 Points
  • Brandisher 100
  • Person of Interest 200
  • Risky Lifestyle 100
PostPosted: Sat Sep 05, 2009 9:07 am
Here's my assignment :[x]
I've put it in a link because it's a bit big sweatdrop

PostPosted: Sat Sep 05, 2009 9:34 am
User Image

Okay, first and foremost, two things: 1. I suck at digital art, even with a tablet, so I'm sorry about the draw-over quality. and 2. considering this seems to be your first try at drawing from a reference, it's quite good.

Okay, so, working our way up from the bottom:

- His front foot should be lower on the paper, generally speaking lower = closer to us. ( I do love the line of that leg, though ) I'd probably go a little lower than the black line, though.

- Back leg muscles need to be more defined; his weight is on that leg, so the muscles will bulge more under that pressure.

-The butt cheek nearest us needs to be a bit more defined, as it is nearest us, and so that it doesn't look like it corresponds to his back leg. (see green line)

- Crotch area: even though his front leg obscures quite a bit of his back thigh, you should still be able to see a little where his leg joins his hip. (also, there isn't much room for his junk. I understand that it wasn't in the reference, but just keep that in mind.

-Torso isn't as turned as my drawover shows, but I just needed to show you how and where his abs and pecs should fit.

- Left arm (his left, our right) drawover is kinda wonky, I'm sorry, but I'm just trying to show how his bicep should join his elbow, it's a bit stylized, but it gets the message across.

- Back arm probably shouldn't show that much.

- Pay close attention to the line of the shoulder and neck, because that can make or break a drawing.

- He's looking up, which means you should see less of the top of his head and more of the lower part, and his facial features should slant downward. ... I'm doing a bad job of explaining that, so tutorial, and a chart.

Also, just in general, I have a list of pretty damned good tutorials (by pretty awesome artists) that you should check out here.

Assignment 2
After you correct some of the errors, erase the lines of the muscles (but keep the contours of the prominent ones) and reinforce the outline and add details onto his body. Feel free to make him more or less muscular or add weight to him or stylize it, but don't change his proportions too much. Oh, and don't add hair or clothing yet. You can add facial features if you'd like, but I'll go over that when we get to details like hair and clothing. Here's a pretty good tutorial to help you along. Don't concentrate too much on the silhouetting bit, we'll do that later when we start to use our own poses. (Isn't alexds1 the goddess of tutorials?)

Oh, and if you ever feel like I'm going too fast, please tell me.  

The Titanium Spork

Purely Made

Wheezing Player

7,650 Points
  • Brandisher 100
  • Person of Interest 200
  • Risky Lifestyle 100
PostPosted: Sat Sep 05, 2009 9:39 am
Oh dear , I've done a lot of things wrong :[ At least I can correct them now biggrin
I'll get on the 2nd assignment right away.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 05, 2009 9:55 am
It's not too bad, like I said, it was a hard one to start off with, and I'm very a**l.

It should get easier as we progress, because there are less menial details.
Also, while you're doing the second assignment, try to picture a character in your head, give him personality, etc. It's best to have an idea of these things as you're doing the basic sketch so's that you know how he would hold himself. Don't overdo that, but just kinda have an idea of the character in the back of your head.  

The Titanium Spork

Purely Made

Wheezing Player

7,650 Points
  • Brandisher 100
  • Person of Interest 200
  • Risky Lifestyle 100
PostPosted: Sat Sep 05, 2009 10:06 am
It was quite hard to start off , but I still enjoyed it :]

I'm actually quite good at making character personalities , so that should go well.I also like experimenting with character ideas/looks , so that should be fine also. biggrin

Mentor Threads [Dedicated Mentoring here!]

Goto Page: 1 2 3 ... 4 5 6 7 8 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff