Welcome to Gaia! ::

The Music Artists of Gaia

Back to Guilds

A musician's guild! 

Tags: musicians, music, instruments, bands 

Reply The Music Artists Guild
Is rap music? Should rappers be allowed in this guild? Goto Page: 1 2 3 ... 4 ... 7 8 9 10 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Do you like rap?
  It's ok...
  <3 RAP!!! <3
  Ugh!! I hate rap!!!
View Results

Teh Rock

PostPosted: Wed Nov 16, 2005 4:46 pm
I really don't like rap. It's just like poetry with some weird sound effects. It just doesn't sound like music. I hate it. Or maybe thats because my bus driver always plays unkown rap music really loud... Anyway, just say your thoughts on it.  
PostPosted: Wed Nov 16, 2005 7:37 pm
I hate rap and in no way think its music, however, many people like it and they are entitled to their opinions, there is no reason to not allow them in this guild  

stringstrider

Lantis0001

PostPosted: Thu Nov 17, 2005 6:02 am
Under this guild's rules, rappers fit in with songwriters, so they're allowed in.

I'm very selective on what I listen to, and most rap music is just about my gang, my bling, or my b**** broke up with me. In a way, it's just black country city music.

But, some more emerging artists are making it more interesting, talking about more than themselves, and I have to respect that.

Only, there's an unspoken rule that's being broken with every new album that comes out, and I blame Vanilla Ice for starting this. Don't sample classic songs. Randy Rhodes should not be in a rap song EVER.  
PostPosted: Thu Nov 17, 2005 12:01 pm
The thing that makes me mad about rap is all the nobody rappers that go on TV and all they say is stuff like "You know me." and then hey throw money or drive aound in a fancy car with some slutty chicks with fat asses.I don't have a ******** clue who they are, most people don't, but still al their lyrics are so concieded and boring. I like some rap, I don't mind the occasional video, but so many of them just go on there and talk, some do rap properly, with a cool beat and everything but all the little nobodys that sound the same and suck come on talking about themselves and killing someones mom. I guess its the same with some bands too(not the violence part) but its more annoying with rap because they're bascally talking.
I only listen to it when Im in a bd mood and want to break something. Some rappers do have some skillfully written lyrics though. And I respect that, but all the little wannabes piss me off.  

Ass Pirate Fairy Boy

W1nterSold1er

PostPosted: Thu Nov 17, 2005 4:03 pm
I personaly dont like rap. I'm not going to sit here and talk bad about it. It is a form of music. and while some rappers talk about usless stuff, It is pretty sick that someone can just make up an whole song while there doing it. I wish i had that kinda writing talent. but i wouldn't write about what they do needless to say.  
PostPosted: Sat Nov 19, 2005 8:10 pm
rap is a vocal... hmm... let's just say a vocal skill, and it takes some musical talent to create the backup music. Rappers are allowed in this guild because of it.  

x.Marsh[mel]low.x
Captain

Discordian.dogma

PostPosted: Wed Nov 23, 2005 3:11 am
I absolutly abhor rap music. But it's still music.
In the begining, people couldn't stand rock. "THAT CAN'T BE MUSIC! IT'S JUST NOISE"  
Billy Joe Armstrong#1 rolled 20 100-sided dice: 17, 3, 6, 6, 18, 79, 7, 46, 87, 61, 80, 58, 77, 56, 90, 11, 28, 33, 44, 50 Total: 857 (20-2000)
PostPosted: Wed Nov 23, 2005 8:39 am
i think rap is just talking with a beat in the background domokun really rap is just a bunch of guys who got shot and like woman.  

Billy Joe Armstrong#1

W1nterSold1er

PostPosted: Wed Nov 23, 2005 10:35 am
Discordian.dogma
In the begining, people couldn't stand rock. "THAT CAN'T BE MUSIC! IT'S JUST NOISE"

Exacly, And people still dont like rock/metal or whatever, I think everyone has a music they cannot stand and a music that they love, So In theory we really cant deny rappers from being in here, what do you think?  
PostPosted: Thu Nov 24, 2005 8:29 pm
Cheo-tsin
Discordian.dogma

Exacly, And people still dont like rock/metal or whatever, I think everyone has a music they cannot stand and a music that they love, So In theory we really cant deny rappers from being in here, what do you think?

Couldnt have put it better 3nodding

I dont like most country but I respect those who love it :shrug:. to each their own...

x.Marsh[mel]low.x
Captain

W1nterSold1er

PostPosted: Fri Nov 25, 2005 8:37 pm
Exacly. It could be the same thing for religion. I mean think about it. The people that come to your door that are always trying to convert you is because they prolly think there religion is the best, but there is no best religion. Its what you believe and how much you believe in it. Its not a matter of religion you are, its the matter of how much you believe in it. Just like its not a matter of what kinda music you listin to its the matter of how devoted you are into it. well thats just my opinion  
PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2005 2:09 am
Cheo-tsin
Exacly. It could be the same thing for religion. I mean think about it. The people that come to your door that are always trying to convert you is because they prolly think there religion is the best, but there is no best religion. Its what you believe and how much you believe in it. Its not a matter of religion you are, its the matter of how much you believe in it. Just like its not a matter of what kinda music you listin to its the matter of how devoted you are into it. well thats just my opinion

Don't get me started on religion, though... The difference between God and Rap music is that you can't turn on the radio and hear God, so rap has the strength of proven existance.

On the subject of rap and hip hop, though, the reason many people don't like it is because of their preconceived notions about what the subject matter and talent actually involves. Most of these are simply individuals who have listened to mainstream stations and heard celebrities such as 50-Cent and Eminem, not even thinking that there might be something more. For instance, I hate to say it, but there IS good country music out there, you just don't hear it from the likes of the idiots on the radio.

If you're wanting good hip-hop, listen to Atmosphere, listen to Outkast, Listen to Aesop Rock... Hell, listen to Bone Thugs n' Harmony, even listen to the Grey Album, Dangamouse's remix of JayZ's black album and The White Album (if you're not too busy adhering to the 'no classic songs' rule.)

I am personally not a big rap or hip-hop fan, but as a musician I have to appreciate it for what it is, a form of musical art. There are rappers out there that can spit lines on beat so fast your head would spin, and to do that with rhythm does take a talent... For instance, try singing or talking while tapping out an 8 part beat at 180BPM on a djembe or drumset. Now try to make it sound good.  

Eccojedi

drspoon

PostPosted: Tue Dec 06, 2005 7:14 pm
rap, music or not? this is the one question that everyone has. What i say to this is, what anyone defines as music is their own personal opinion. I don't believe that any audible noise can be denied being held in the catagory of music. Music varies with difference of opinion which comes with one's background. Someone might live out in the middle of nowhere and be raised on the fact that nature is music, and to them, all the noises of nature are music to their ears. someone raised on Rock and Roll will find that the nature noises are nothing but sounds that have no meaning to them. someone raised on jazz might think that neither rock or nature are music. and someone raised on rap might or might not find all of the above forms of music. Anything can be considered music, but what you consider to be music is entirely an opinion entitled to you, and if someone likes it, that is their right, so leave them be and respect their opinion about what they think is music. After all this, i must say that No, i do not particularly care for Rap music, but yes, I do believe that Rap is music.

-Ringo-  
PostPosted: Tue Dec 06, 2005 9:44 pm
got_rock
I really don't like rap. It's just like poetry with some weird sound effects. It just doesn't sound like music. I hate it. Or maybe thats because my bus driver always plays unkown rap music really loud... Anyway, just say your thoughts on it.

I dont know if i'm aloud to post yet I just asked to join and waiting but I have to say somthing. no offense to anyone but if you hate rap you hate poetry and rock n roll, r & b, heavy metal- just listen to there lyrics there all the same thing one just have a bieat and the other has a rythem, one have a guitar and another is just words on paper. so you cant hate on rap and not hate on the others.  

The artistic shaman

The artistic shaman

PostPosted: Tue Dec 06, 2005 9:48 pm
Eccojedi
Cheo-tsin

Don't get me started on religion, though... The difference between God and Rap music is that you can't turn on the radio and hear God, so rap has the strength of proven existance.

On the subject of rap and hip hop, though, the reason many people don't like it is because of their preconceived notions about what the subject matter and talent actually involves. Most of these are simply individuals who have listened to mainstream stations and heard celebrities such as 50-Cent and Eminem, not even thinking that there might be something more. For instance, I hate to say it, but there IS good country music out there, you just don't hear it from the likes of the idiots on the radio.

If you're wanting good hip-hop, listen to Atmosphere, listen to Outkast, Listen to Aesop Rock... Hell, listen to Bone Thugs n' Harmony, even listen to the Grey Album, Dangamouse's remix of JayZ's black album and The White Album (if you're not too busy adhering to the 'no classic songs' rule.)

I am personally not a big rap or hip-hop fan, but as a musician I have to appreciate it for what it is, a form of musical art. There are rappers out there that can spit lines on beat so fast your head would spin, and to do that with rhythm does take a talent... For instance, try singing or talking while tapping out an 8 part beat at 180BPM on a djembe or drumset. Now try to make it sound good.

Think about all the hip hop artist you just mentioned, they all came from the street they were nothing and made somthing out of themselves. They were living in hell were you could be shot just for wereing a certain color in a certain part of the city. rap is more then music its what the artist is, what he came from, how he feels.  
The Music Artists Guild

Goto Page: 1 2 3 ... 4 ... 7 8 9 10 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff