Reply Fiction Subforum
Whosville Imperial guard background

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Thy_obsessive_freak

PostPosted: Thu Jul 09, 2009 4:01 pm
Hallo one and all, I started collecting Imperial guard due to me and my brothers building a Imperial guard apocalypse army together (Gonna be 15,000pts). When I looked at the codex, it gave quite a wealth of background and all the sorts of Imperial planets there is and could make up that I made mines while going along. Seeing as well that I'll be writing stories of the apocalypse battles me and my Brothers will have with others, I needed a background story for my regiment and it was so rich and big I wrote it out and wondered what others might think.

The world Whosville as it was renamed by Lord James Mc’grey after retaking the planet from the clenches of ork tyranny that took a seven year campaign. His imperial guard regiment then stood guard over the world for more than five years as it recolonized, but as so Lord Mc’grey had performed political schemes at the time for the planet and gained favour that eventually his regiment then gained custody over the planet and made Planetary governor.

With another three years after his rule was established, Governor James then shaped the world to how he had founded it and his liking. Uniforms were changed from their green camouflage to a favourable blue colour due to James’ love for the sea. Politics held more control and was a republic form, making even the lower nobles have influence in matters, though with citizens none at all. Much of the world also became an industrial planet, however less than a third of it remains jungle and forest.

As things progressed many hive gangs, political corruption and military strength became a problem. It wasn’t too hard to solve two of the problems, hive gangs were directly pressed into the imperial guard regiments, but the way politics had been formed proved difficult. With the way status could be easily reached by simply bribing other politicians to encourage him to be elevated or to secretly assassinate anyone who got in his way like the man above him or even overthrowing other politicians with military might.

Regiments were mainly maintained by politicians. The highest ranking politicians would be selected as the regiment’s officers, who would have the next level of politicians that favoured them, (Company command) form Majors that would build the company and the lower nobles who would serve under their favoured majors they supported and form (Platoon commander) Lieutenant that would be responsible for recruiting their sergeants that would then recruit the rest of their squad.

Squads were then normally formed by factory workers who would be assigned Regiment commander they supported then to the major’s company they supported within the regiment and then platoon commander. Hive gangs as well provided squads either pressed or hive gang leaders who provided some of his own gang members or persuaded citizens to an often corrupted politician who had done something in return for their support. If funds wasn’t an issue or were in real need of man power would hire mercenaries in their sector that would work either short-term or permanently or not at all (Depending how the major or lieutenant handled things and the trust and loyalty of the mercenaries).

With this sort of method of recruiting and the huge population of the planet, the Whosville regiments focus around more infantry tactics of mass firepower or overwhelming assaults of line infantry. There would also be many reckless and much sacrifices due to inexperienced officers who only fight due to duty or for political gain.

Of course with no way of stopping the commanders switching their allegiance, platoon commands could go over to the other company and even the platoons could go over to a different lieutenant if he favoured him more. This made political influence more critical if a commander wanted to keep his army under his grasp and not be ruined, after all no army, no political enforcement.

Being maintained, fed and supporting to the company commander as well, this could also mean that the world was fully capable of warring with itself if the company commander wished to use military strength as a political solution. Depending on how powerful and influential the two competitors were this could lead to a planetary civil war, especially with other higher nobles taking sides, proven that the Whosville world to be very instable, often enough for Whosville and other neighbouring imperium world, it was easy to get use to.

As well as the fragile relations between the Whosville commanders, there are also the political scandals. Even though the planet is overpopulated it still invites many to it’s homeworld by it’s politicians, however less than ten percent actually go onto making citizenry lives, the rest are pressed into conscription were many who were intending to make new lives in the so-called better world then their own. Politician commanders have been caught out doing this, being that other homeworld leaders do not permit this and end up with the politician executed with the conscripts disburst and left on the Whosville world as citizens only to find out they were better off being conscripts.

These are but one of the many political scandals and with so much corruption, some believe that Whosville is in taken over by Tzeentch, often known for using politics to spread his corruption. This though was fixed by giving much of it's allegiance to the Ordo hereticus and Adeptus soritas. Often letting the Ordo hereticus use their homeworld to recruit necessary manpower or sending off regiments to fight beside the Adeptus soritas and Ordo hereticus. They as well show much dedication to the emperor, setting up many Adeptus Ministorum and having a priest’s favouring a politician gains much influence indeed. However that does not mean to say that there is not some taint from the chaos gods.

In desperate gambles sometimes, a high politician who has been low on success lately or is at risk at losing political favour or just wanting more, marches off from his homeworld to either start or join a campaign against the emperor’s enemies. A successful launch would already boost favour if the other politicians in his regiment took their ranks and joined the high ranking politician in his campaign march, though will have to follow through if he wants to keep up his new found political favour.

This can be a risky move though for his political power, not just because losing the campaign will make people look down on him as a failure or especially getting his entire regiment destroyed making him automatically lose all favour, but that his rivals or low-life politician might suck up his power while he's gone. They’ll have their alleged gangs move into his territory, make propagandas against him while he’s gone and if his substitute is too weak or unable to defend against them or his temporary replacement might fully take over.

Another thing about the Whosville homeworld is it's close relations are held with the founder’s former homeworld. Lord James Mc’grey was brothers with two of the officers who still reside on the planet. One being his oldest younger brother, a company commander of vast artillery who’s mighty fire power his known to shake contingents and the other his youngest brother, a merchant and tank commander who is in command of hundreds of tanks that he employs from the adeptus mechanicus. As a result, the Whosville willingly deploys some of its companies to reinforce or assist their former homeworld when needed.  
PostPosted: Mon Jul 13, 2009 7:21 am
FOR THE EMPEROR
due to the gaurd beind the best army the imperium has to offer because thoes spacemarines are glory hogs everyone knows that. all thoes points what will you do gunna go with an iorn army tanks and stuff all over yea cool  

Rafen 40k

Vikki Stardust

Sweet Vampire

14,875 Points
  • Risky Lifestyle 100
  • Object of Affection 150
  • Hellraiser 500
PostPosted: Mon Jul 13, 2009 12:43 pm
^^^^ What the ******** is he saying?! gonk ^^^^  
PostPosted: Mon Jul 13, 2009 2:08 pm
Rafen 40k
FOR THE EMPEROR
due to the gaurd beind the best army the imperium has to offer because thoes spacemarines are glory hogs everyone knows that. all thoes points what will you do gunna go with an iorn army tanks and stuff all over yea cool

Attempted Translation
The Guard are the best army the Imperium has to offer, because everyone knows that those Space Marines are glory hogs. With all those points, what will you do against an iron army with tanks and stuff all over.

That said, Rafen, this isn't the place for such discussion. Take it up in the Imperial Guard thread in the Warhammer 40k Discussion subforum.

Caleidah

Eloquent Lunatic

Hoxtalicious

Greedy Partner

PostPosted: Mon Jul 20, 2009 1:03 am
I would not serve in a regiment that has politicians elected as officers.  
PostPosted: Mon Jul 27, 2009 1:51 pm
Lt. Brookman
I would not serve in a regiment that has politicians elected as officers.
The idea is that most serving don't have the choice, I think.  

DarkElf27
Captain

Familiar Guildsman

11,250 Points
  • Guildmember 100
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • Elocutionist 200

Thy_obsessive_freak

PostPosted: Tue Jul 28, 2009 7:52 am
Heck the idea for the Whosville regiments are just people swayed under charisma or fighting for their political beliefs or are just pressed into fighting by gangs. Either way, I doubt many people on the world take into account that their military leaders are in fact politicians, so yes they're quite stupid for not figuring that out. But overall I just wanted my world to fully pulled over by political influnce.  
Fiction Subforum

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff
Gaia's Games