Welcome to Gaia! ::

Gaian Art Mentors

Back to Guilds

Where artists are paired in a mentor/mentee fashion to share their knowledge. 

Tags: artists, mentor, mentee, learning, drawing 

Reply Gaian Art Mentors
Using openCanvas to color pictures D;

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

ForeverKokubetsu

PostPosted: Sun Jul 05, 2009 6:46 pm
I still can't find any way to shade colors together well in openCanvas... crying

Usually I just color stuff and they look like this or this but I want to try and blend colors together smoothly.

I want to make my pictures have coloring that looks more like this but it took forever, and the watercolor brush drives me nuts and is hard to control.

Any tips on how to use the watercolor brush and the blur tool to create more realistic shading? sweatdrop

PostPosted: Mon Jul 06, 2009 4:22 am
Hmm I only have the Open Canvas 1.1 free version (because im cheep).
I use photoshop over OC as i know it better. I havnt tryed other OCs yet, but it shouldnt matter toooo much. (Basic principle i should say)

However before i start what version of OC are you using? Im guessing theyre all a little different.  

Nonobotica

Nonobotica

PostPosted: Mon Jul 06, 2009 12:13 pm
I had a go a while ago drawing a rock egg on my desk infront of me in OC 1.1 and i realised that the brush and blur tools where almost useless. They have some purpose but not really.

Heres how it went.
http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_BieqzowHHpY/SlHvZ2iEBVI/AAAAAAAAAd0/i-6TYcQuyjE/s1600-h/egg+cup.png

Little sketchy yeah, but its good enough, it'd look more realistic the more time I spent on it.

You see the two sliders under the brush size preview, one of those sort of changes the opacity and the other changes the size, tinker with those to get the effect youre looking for.
I only used one layer because I wasnt to sure how they worked, they seemed to be having a sort of multiply effect.

To make some of the colour more smooth what i do is use the pipette tool to pick up some of the faded colours around the paint i just put down, usualy works quite well.

Im not sure if any of that will help, if not, sorry XD  
PostPosted: Mon Jul 06, 2009 3:43 pm
Cheap people unite! I also only have oC 1.1 too...

Maybe it's just not right for shading and blending colors. I spent forever, picking colors and opacity and roawrrrrrrr.

Thanks for the tips though :O

I have Photoshop, but I can't use it for my life... though I guess I could try my hand at some coloring with it ._.  

ForeverKokubetsu

Nonobotica

PostPosted: Mon Jul 06, 2009 4:12 pm
Well it is possible, you can do it and some people can do it very well, but to make a realistic picture it takes alot of time, otherwise cartoons would look hyper realistic and sexy. Try spending more time on your stuff and learn to enjoy spending more time on them. :v

Yeah I perfer Photoshop, because you can abuse the layers, re-size the canvas and colour in greyscale and just add a simple colour layer for the shading. I duno i just prefer it.  
PostPosted: Tue Jul 07, 2009 11:34 pm
I suspect I may try to use OC for my latest project, but I haven't completely decided yet.

My recent attempt...

here  

Twilakam

5,800 Points
  • The Perfect Setup 150
  • Brandisher 100
  • Generous 100
Gaian Art Mentors

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers