Submit

Position?
  Pro
  Con
View Results

lurichan
Vice Captain

PostPosted: Mon Nov 14, 2005 11:29 pm
This is a thread designed to discuss capital punishment, and whether or not it should be practiced, to express your views on it, and to generally discuss thoughts and feelings.
Many people feel that it is cruel and inhumane to kill someone for their crimes, where as others would point out the high cost of housing criminals and the injustice of paying for them to get an education amounst other things.
Personally I feel no remorse for murders and rapists, and feel that they do indeed deserve death for their crimes against humanity, but then a very interesting point can be raised... people do make mistakes, and what would the reprocussions be if a man or woman was executed for a crime they did not commit? In many ways that is why there is still such a long delay between people on death row being incarcerated and being executed, and there is always the appeal system which tends to oveturn a sentance of death, and grants a lesser sentance of life of inprisonment.
In the end though, does the state really have the right to take away the lives of those who have violated the social norms? On the other side of the debate, shouldn't the state keep people like that from ever stepping foot in society again?  
PostPosted: Mon Nov 14, 2005 11:41 pm
If they know they have the right person and that person commits murder or any other unforgivable crime yes capital punishment would be the best thing for them.  

NyteOwl

Spooky Wasabi Princess

Proxy Risk-Taker

14,850 Points
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • Tested Practitioner 250
  • Magical Girl 50
PostPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2005 4:48 pm
Capital punishment doesn't solve anything. You'll still feel exactly the same way you did about the person when they're dead.
Why kill them when they can rot away in a cell, being a**-raped every week?

I'm not at all for capital punishment. I think it makes us stoop down to the level of the person who's being killed.

And if people say "But why should my taxes pay to keep them alive?" then they seem to care more about their money than they do about justice.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2005 9:55 pm
spooky_sez
Capital punishment doesn't solve anything. You'll still feel exactly the same way you did about the person when they're dead.

I'm not at all for capital punishment. I think it makes us stoop down to the level of the person who's being killed.

And if people say "But why should my taxes pay to keep them alive?" then they seem to care more about their money than they do about justice.

For the sake of debate, is it really fair that prisoners can earn degrees during their time in prision? If they are supposed to be being punished, then why are we allowing them to gain a higher education based on other people's money?  

lurichan
Vice Captain

Dr_lecter1988
Crew

PostPosted: Wed Nov 16, 2005 11:20 am
lurichan
spooky_sez

For the sake of debate, is it really fair that prisoners can earn degrees during their time in prision? If they are supposed to be being punished, then why are we allowing them to gain a higher education based on other people's money?

Actually in all fairness, it costs more to put a person whos sentenced to murder throught the appeals process and death row than it does for them to jsut be sentenced to lif in prison. The people who assume that it costs mroe to let them rot is a logical fallacy. I suppose some of the people who have life in prison should not be allowed to gain a higher degree, but how could they PRovide rights to one half of the prision population and not the other. I mean petty larceny as a kid you still go through school so that when you get out you can become a productive member of society, Would you rather kids who get caught up in gangs Stay at the same education level or learn, and by way of learning learn that there are better ways to live, Same process with Psychopaths, I mean, Look at Charles Manson, and Jeffery Dahmer, They're brilliant people, just a little crooked in the head, it's not like they're able to ever get out of prison, even though Manson has a chance for parole in i think 2008 What's the harm in allow them to learn a little bit, it doesn't cost tax payers any more than a few dollars a year for books. better that than more murder within the prisons.  
PostPosted: Sat Nov 19, 2005 10:38 am
lurichan
spooky_sez

Now that I am against.

It's not exactly getting punished if you're furthering your studies. I mean, really, that's just stupid.
I can see that being a positive thing in juvenile detention, but not in a real jail. They don't deserve it.

Spooky Wasabi Princess

Proxy Risk-Taker

14,850 Points
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • Magical Girl 50

Lady_Threnody

Intellectual Lunatic

10,075 Points
  • Happy Birthday! 100
  • Elocutionist 200
  • Conversationalist 100
PostPosted: Sun Nov 27, 2005 7:41 am
Speaking as an individual who was raped by my ex, I believe that the prisoners have a right to live dispite what they did. However, torture the murderers and rapists by letting them live in such a hostile environment while living like the rodents they are for the rest of their lives.... hell, rodents deserve more respect than they do. I honestly believe that torture should be an exception for these fellows. Let them be tortured for murdering and raping innocent victims... mind you, this is me being very nice in regards to this subject.  
PostPosted: Sun Nov 27, 2005 9:05 pm
Hmm, that is an intersting point to be sure. To tourture prisoners in this day and age of political correctness though is not only frowned about but considered illegal enough that people can sue on behalf of the incarcerated. Sadly in many respects the penal system has gone soft on the criminals for the crimes they have commited. For instance people used to watch criminals get hung, and didn't really care if their neck snaped instanteniously, or if they slowly suffocated to death, but now great lengths are gone to to make sure that things like lethal injection aren't painful to the prisoner.  

lurichan
Vice Captain

Lady_Threnody

Intellectual Lunatic

10,075 Points
  • Happy Birthday! 100
  • Elocutionist 200
  • Conversationalist 100
PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2005 12:39 am
I agree, they have gone soft on them. Perhaps torture is going to an extreme but either way murder and rape is an extreme all on their own. There is no turning back for either one... ever. To seclude them from society is a good idea but to keep them alive while their inmates/peers rape them and possibly try to murder them is only giving them a taste of their own medicine.... hmm, maybe that is tortureous enough and maybe it's not enough.  
PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2005 1:15 pm
Lady_Threnody
Speaking as an individual who was raped by my ex, I believe that the prisoners have a right to live dispite what they did. However, torture the murderers and rapists by letting them live in such a hostile environment while living like the rodents they are for the rest of their lives.... hell, rodents deserve more respect than they do. I honestly believe that torture should be an exception for these fellows. Let them be tortured for murdering and raping innocent victims... mind you, this is me being very nice in regards to this subject.

I belive that prison is torture enough.  

Spooky Wasabi Princess

Proxy Risk-Taker

14,850 Points
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • Magical Girl 50

Lady_Threnody

Intellectual Lunatic

10,075 Points
  • Happy Birthday! 100
  • Elocutionist 200
  • Conversationalist 100
PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2005 1:33 pm
spooky_sez
Lady_Threnody

Hence, my last post right before this one. Hmm, just out of sheer curiosity mind telling me/us why you believe prison is torture enough? It seems pretty pointless to say that you believe it is tortureous enough without stating why so please do. ^_^

PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2005 7:42 am
I'm all for it.

Though, I do think the terms of the crime should be carfully evaluated before it happens...

Of course, if a justafiable (I use the term loosely in this case) reason for the murder exsists, then a less extreme (extreme also being used loosely) punishment should be used.

I also think that some criminals are treated too well....

It seems to me that prison has become less of a punishment, and more of a storehouse for criminals...Just a place to keep them out of the way for a bit...  

Self-Reference

Eloquent Lunatic

darkXmoon

PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2005 11:03 am
kagemusha25
I'm all for it.

Though, I do think the terms of the crime should be carfully evaluated before it happens...

Of course, if a justafiable (I use the term loosely in this case) reason for the murder exsists, then a less extreme (extreme also being used loosely) punishment should be used.

It seems to me that prison has become less of a punishment, and more of a storehouse for criminals...Just a place to keep them out of the way for a bit...

Ditto. Very few prisons now believe in Rebelataion for there prisoners. I am also one for the Cain.  
PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2005 6:43 pm
darkXmoon
kagemusha25
I'm all for it.

Ditto. Very few prisons now believe in Rebelataion for there prisoners. I am also one for the Cain.
Like the horrible (ly amusing xd ninja ) Singaporian cain of 'Don't put a toe out of line or I'll smack you'?  

Self-Reference

Eloquent Lunatic

Your Night Surgeon

PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2005 11:17 pm
spooky_sez
Lady_Threnody

Alrighty.... whoa, there. Some prisons are pretty much resorts. Seriously lavish and the like. Give'em three meals a day, cable TV, and now worries about bills for the rest of their days. Hell, even I'd kill for that!

I think that the old ways should come into play. Take off a thief's hand ( that is, unless he's got a starving family... or another damned good explanation), kill a murderer ... that sort of thing. Let the punishment fit the crime.
For example, right now we have rapists out in the streets after, oh, I don't know... five years of prison, whereas the guy who was selling pot gets stuck in the clink for life! Not really fitting, as the pot-peddler wasn't commiting a violent act, wasn't really hurting anyone.

Things are too soft. Too Politically Correct. ******** it, man. Let a murderer die in the way he killed his victim. Let a rapist get raped. Let mass murderers be mobbed by the local populace.

Sorry, I get a bit uppity sometimes....  
Extended Discussion

Goto Page: 1 2 3 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces