Welcome to Gaia! ::

Gaian Art Mentors

Back to Guilds

Where artists are paired in a mentor/mentee fashion to share their knowledge. 

Tags: artists, mentor, mentee, learning, drawing 

Reply Gaian Art Mentors
Magic of coloring

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Taelune

Familiar Gaian

5,800 Points
  • Contributor 150
  • Person of Interest 200
  • Entrepreneur 150
PostPosted: Fri Jul 03, 2009 2:45 pm
Okay I had a question dawn on me, and just want your guy's input. To make a picture look great is it better to draw less detail, and color more, or draw more detail and color less?

Just curious, BTW I only color in PhotoShop CS3, but I do lineart in Manga Studio Debut 3.0, Open Canvas, as well as photoshop  
PostPosted: Sat Jul 04, 2009 1:10 pm
i think that really depends entirely on you and your style. i think for the former its ideal for a painterly style whereas for the latter comic book or manga style would be ore fitting.  

Folken_Schezar
Crew

Morrosseth

PostPosted: Sat Jul 04, 2009 2:45 pm
And when you are somewhere in between, you have a sort of painterly manga/comic style piece going on. : D

-is totally being helpful-

PostPosted: Sat Jul 04, 2009 7:03 pm
lol! anyone who has been to my DA account will know my coloring/drawing style. If it is more helpful to help me, please come here.

DA Account  

Taelune

Familiar Gaian

5,800 Points
  • Contributor 150
  • Person of Interest 200
  • Entrepreneur 150

Nonobotica

PostPosted: Sun Jul 05, 2009 5:05 am
Quite often youll see people draw less detail because of the method they colour, if youre filling over large spaces it only makes sence to not bother drawing them on when you can paint them on later.

So its very defendant on your confidence, what youre drawing and how youre drawing it.

I mean you can draw a heavily detailed picture in monochrome and cell shaded and itll look cool, but you could draw a Renascence styled painting and itll have a different feel to it. Both can look great.  
PostPosted: Mon Jul 06, 2009 7:09 pm
I agree it depends on your style, whatever works best for you.
I can hardly color though and I dont do much detail, but I prefer a mixture of both that is simple and flows freely.  

Gash Rain

Gaian Art Mentors

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff